Stair regs query.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomB

Established Member
Reaction score
Storage in our hallway at home is pretty limited. Persuading my other half to own fewer shoes is a forlorn hope so I’d like to incorporate some storage under the stairs instead.

There’s no access to the side of the staircase so I was thinking about something like this…
IMG_4401.jpeg

Is it possible to install something like this and still be in accordance with building regs? I’ve had a look through Part K and there’s nothing explicitly forbidding it but I may have missed something.

Obviously I’d put the drawers on self returning runners so they didn’t get left open.

As you say there's a risk the drawers could be left or become jammed open so there's no way a building inspector could pass them. If the inspector doesn't see the choice and risk is yours. Make sure handles don't present a trip hazard, cutouts might be best.
The photo looks good but to avoid them scratching the wall when pulled out will need everything to be square, tolerances to be close and the drawer gear to be top quality.

I’m sure I’ve seen a post on this site discussing this same option . I can’t recall the title but it was this year so hopefully someone else will recall It or your could try searching for it . So no access to side of stairs-is this due to brickwork or is it plasterboard or another reason. What I’m getting at is the storage space under the stairs will most likely exceed what you can store in the useable space using draws , not to mention the work involved.

Did the below job for a customer- 5 bedroom house with limited storage. This space was only for suitcases so the wall were not plastered or lined . The wasted space in the void was ridiculous given the cost of this house. Edit- ignore pic of festool cap - slip of the thumb lol 😂

Attachments

• IMG_0748.png
    IMG_0748.png
    538.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8630.jpeg
    IMG_8630.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8631.jpeg
    IMG_8631.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8642.jpeg
    IMG_8642.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8641.jpeg
    IMG_8641.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8639.jpeg
    IMG_8639.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8648.jpeg
    IMG_8648.jpeg
  • IMG_8645.jpeg
    IMG_8645.jpeg
  • IMG_8644.jpeg
    IMG_8644.jpeg
Storage in our hallway at home is pretty limited. Persuading my other half to own fewer shoes is a forlorn hope so I’d like to incorporate some storage under the stairs instead.

There’s no access to the side of the staircase so I was thinking about something like this…
View attachment 163450
Is it possible to install something like this and still be in accordance with building regs? I’ve had a look through Part K and there’s nothing explicitly forbidding it but I may have missed something.

Obviously I’d put the drawers on self returning runners so they didn’t get left open.
Looks like a potential stair accident disaster. Possibly the worst place in the whole house to insert drawers, unless you are trying to kill somebody of course! 🤔 It could work - shout "fire" and leave a drawer half open? Aged relatives, inheritances?
I guess BCO wouldn't pass it.
What about just getting rid of a few pairs of shoes? Everybody keeps too much stuff nowadays.
Or make a useful little freestanding cupboard for another room?

Last edited:
Regardless of the idea which personally I wouldn't even consider on the "enough obstacles to trip me up in life without me adding to them" basis, the amount of effort to provide relatively small storage in awkwardly accessible location also doesn't tick the "effort for return" button.
That said to add some positive. Have you also considered whether the treads are likely to need extra support once the riser is removed. That extra support may only be provided by a thicker tread. Box under the bed much easier.

I’m sure I’ve seen a post on this site discussing this same option . I can’t recall the title but it was this year so hopefully someone else will recall It or your could try searching for it . So no access to side of stairs-is this due to brickwork or is it plasterboard or another reason. What I’m getting at is the storage space under the stairs will most likely exceed what you can store in the useable space using draws , not to mention the work involved.

Did the below job for a customer- 5 bedroom house with limited storage. This space was only for suitcases so the wall were not plastered or lined . The wasted space in the void was ridiculous given the cost of this house. Edit- ignore pic of festool cap - slip of the thumb lol 😂
Thanks, I’ll have a look and see if I can find it.

It’s not a straight flight, it winds to the right 180 degrees and has a masonry wall the left and behind it. Underneath the part the winds back on itself is a small cupboard with a gun cabinet in it which takes up nearly all of what would be storage space, hence why I was trying to come up with a use for the void beneath the first three steps. It’s probably a non starter but thought I’d ask the question anyway.

Do you know how the stairs are constructed & supported? If there were 2 stringers under the stairs your drawers would need to be narrow enough to fit between them. If there were 3 stringers it would be even worse.

I considered something similar when I renewed a staircase in our house, but decided that building stairs was already pushing the limits of my skills without complicating things further.

Regardless of the idea which personally I wouldn't even consider on the "enough obstacles to trip me up in life without me adding to them" basis, the amount of effort to provide relatively small storage in awkwardly accessible location also doesn't tick the "effort for return" button.
That said to add some positive. Have you also considered whether the treads are likely to need extra support once the riser is removed. That extra support may only be provided by a thicker tread. Box under the bed much easier.
Do you know how the stairs are constructed & supported? If there were 2 stringers under the stairs your drawers would need to be narrow enough to fit between them. If there were 3 stringers it would be even worse.

I considered something similar when I renewed a staircase in our house, but decided that building stairs was already pushing the limits of my skills without complicating things further.
Two stringers and the treads are thick so I’d don’t think they would deflect if the risers were removed.

I’d be surprised if there isn’t something available online as you’re probably not the 1st person to think of it , safety wise the default setting would be the closed position for obvious reasons. . I’ve also seen a video but again can’t recall if it was utube or instagram . There was multiple pieces of furniture that folded flat or at the press of a switch withdrew into a void or simply converted into something else-it was epic but my short term memory is not always the best . Also worth considering is would your design affect any fire rating ( should any exist) in the event of a fire god forbid breaking out . Consider every possibility before you commit..

Instead of drawers, why not put the tread on hinges with a fixed box/storage area under. A stopper on the tread should prevent the 'lid' from staying open if not held. Shouldn't weaken the structure if done with some thought - just a thought.

If you are just hoping to trip somebody up on the stairs what about having trip wires? You could pass them off as stair-rods gone wrong, at the inquest. Save having to do a lot of fussy joinery!

Well, you could just stand things on the bottom stair treads. My partner does it all the time. Apparently, is so whoever is going upstairs, can take the said object/ objects, with them. :giggle:

Well, you could just stand things on the bottom stair treads. My partner does it all the time. Apparently, is so whoever is going upstairs, can take the said object/ objects, with them. :giggle:
Same here. My son likes to store his Lego bricks on the stairs too, which is just marvellous.

Or do this, splitting the drawers leaves a support in the middle, although I don't like the idea, you have to admire the workmanship.
Bottle store..jpeg

Or do this, splitting the drawers leaves a support in the middle, although I don't like the idea, you have to admire the workmanship. View attachment 163537
🤣 Imagine the scene at a party - people scrabbling for bottles, others on the way up and down to the lav! It'd be like a motorway pile-up of drunks!

Last edited:
I don't know what type of parties you go too, but certainly none that I have been too since my teenage years, which are a long time ago. 🤔

Back