Stair Ballustrades for beginner . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Saville

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been waiting for the right project to begin my turning adventures. With a home move imminent and new stair gates needed it's the ideal time to dip my toe in the water.

So, in the short term (next 6-8 weeks) I'd like to make 2 stairgates that contain ballustrades to match the existing stairs. Like these:

ballustrade.jpg

I think I'm going to need 14 of these for now (though I will need another 40 or so when we tackle the loft conversion . . .) They will be painted and probably made of pine.

Longer term I've got some posts/spindles to do for the outside of the house and will then want to do some more refined stuff for furtniture legs etc (so no bowls/pens etc at this stage :eek: ) .

So as a beginner I'm looking for a few pieces of advice:

1. Good starter book/DVD for beginner turners.
2. Suggestions for a good lathe (budget is secondary as I would like it to last (been suckered by cheap tools in the past :evil: ) but I think around £300-400 should get me something good.
3. Suggestions for (again good quality, built to last etc) turning tools.
4. Any foreseeable problems/issues I've not thought of (I'm sure there are many!!!)

When I get sorted I'll post some more specific questions on the ballustrades - and maybe even some WIP pics 8)

TIA for your help.

Cheers for now,

Mike.

Hi Mike and welcome.

As to your questions;-

1/ Keith Rowley, 'A foundation course' and the similar DVD, excellent tuition for the price. Published by GMC publications.

2/ You seem to know exactly what you want the lathe for, so you need to look at the maximum sizes of wood you intend to turn. Then look around at the lathes that will accommodate it.

3/ Any named tools, Hamlet, Crown, Robert Sorby, roughly in order of cost, but all are reasonable tools.

4/ Now the bad bit, the spindles in the pic. look very thin, assuming the pummel is about 2" square. You are going to get some whip on a length like that, so you will have to make a steady, or you would have to learn a support technique, holding the spindle by hand while turning. Not easy for a beginner.

That's my bit, hope it has been of some help. You will find more members along soon with more suggestions.

Good luck.

Hello Mike and welcome to the other side.
As a relatively newbie myself i'd say Not an easy project for your first.
I'd get as much practice in beforehand,along the lines of what you are doing.
Tools i'd say is down to personal choice,as with the lathe.Try to try some out if you can.
Books and DVDs point you in the right direction but you can't beat getting on the lathe and finding your own way,with some more advice of course of other members.Practice,practice,practice.
Jimjam wrote
Any foreseeable problems/issues I've not thought of (I'm sure there are many!!!)
Very addictive is turning :!: :!:
Paul.J.

I have just made some with the same pattern in oak to match an original from a house just up the road from me. took about an hour each from square stock. I wouldn't want to do 40 though.

Oooh, forgot to add that yes, I do have a full face mask :) (Just thought I'd add before someone mentions safety :p )

Russell":19hi5b1w said:
I wouldn't want to do 40 though.

Neither would I, doubt if I could be that consistent anyway, methinks I would be looking for someone with a Legacy.

Russell":3azsa9tr said:
I have just made some with the same pattern in oak to match an original from a house just up the road from me. took about an hour each from square stock. I wouldn't want to do 40 though.

Hi Russell, I'd be very interested to hear more about your approach/experience.

Take your point about time to do 40 - I'm very patient and can find these sort of repetitive task therapeutic in their own way :)

Cheers for now,

Mike

Nice balusters, and certainly a challenge to do 40.
As a matter of interest, how much per baluster would people reckon it would be sensible to charge to match some existing ones? A guy asked me to quote for some recently, and I couldn't even begin to guess what would be a sensible price. And with the house move, it would have been impractical anyway.

Wondered what this "Legacy" is that you mention Chas. Router mill? I didn't think anyone used these things anymore. They make a terrible mess of the surface if you are not careful. Easier to learn turning IMO :lol:

Dick, if I was asked to quote for 40 of the balusters shown I wouldn't give any change out of £12 per spindle. That would be with the client supplying the materials prepared properly planed and sized. I probably wouldn't get the job at that price, but how I look at it is, I have set up my workshop with all the machinery. Then they are paying me for the years it has taken me to acquire the experience required to be able to do the copying the job would require. I reckon after the first 4 or 5 you would be down to 2 per hour. Still take you a few days though.

JimJam":1s9hv766 said:
Take your point about time to do 40 - I'm very patient and can find these sort of repetitive task therapeutic in their own way :)

I get got put off doing a chess set 'cos there are too many pawns.... :lol:

Pete

TEP":uhgow6ar said:
Wondered what this "Legacy" is that you mention Chas. Router mill? I didn't think anyone used these things anymore. They make a terrible mess of the surface if you are not careful. Easier to learn turning IMO :lol:

I don't think you would have the problem with this animal or its bigger brothers, and copying means just that not a variation between items.

I'm quite surprised that you got away with the comment Tam, the Legacy fraternity tend to shout a bit, although not in the spirit of true turning I certainly would not refuse one if it came my way as a pressy.

Don't put yourself down Pete, copy turning is not that difficult, it's just discipline with the tools. Anybody can turn, but not everybody cuts fine. By fine I mean by making the tool go where you want it to go, making fine shavings. Anybody can cut heavy but not always fine. If you can cut fine, heavy is just too easy, you know when to stop.

Hope I ain't trod on any toes Chas, didn't know there was a a gang of router users around. :shock: Only joking, but I do reckon that the SMALL discrepancies you may find in hand turned copying is the hallmark of the craft. Example the genuine Windsor chair would have oval sockets and legs because they where turned green. Furniture with a spiral twists would have mirror examples of the twists on each side, and not 100% identical. They all give the piece character.IMO of course. :roll:

TEP":2e1hr6xr said:
Hope I ain't trod on any toes Chas, didn't know there was a a gang of router users around. :shock: Only joking, but I do reckon that the SMALL discrepancies you may find in hand turned copying is the hallmark of the craft.

Well they ain't mine if you did so I'm not bothered, :lol:
Last time I saw someone doing repetitive copies he was using a horizontal bar along the back of the piece with numerous adjustable fingers that in the first instance rested on the top of the rotating piece, as he got to the reference diameters the fingers dropped clear down the back.
Often thought about making something along these lines but as I have no need to date for such a device I'm afraid it keeps dropping to the bottom of the ever growing toit list.

Seen that piece of kit Chas, but never used one. If I have to copy I use a story board, with the original turning kept in front of me while turning the rest. I'm half way through making a small stool with a rush seat so a little bit of copying there. Stops me from getting bored :lol:

So I think I'll see how I get on with producing a single spindle - I'll then come back and ask about copying as this seems to be a subject in itself!

Cheers for now,

Mike.

Back