advice for beginner turners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richnfamous

Established Member
Reaction score
hi - I've acquired a functioning lathe for the very good price of £50 - it's nothing special but it works. I have the turning tools, centres, faceplates etc too

what tips/advice would you give a beginner? I've got loads of wood available and I particularly like the idea of using wood that's been glued together in various ways

Attachments

• lathe.jpg
    lathe.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • turning tools.jpg
    turning tools.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi Rich and welcome to the club. When I started I was unable to get to any clubs or join any courses (cost ) so spent hours on YouTube watching and rewatching beginners videos and then got to like a few so subscribed. Then it was put some scrap wood between centres and try to turn something not round to round using what I'd seen as a guide.
Good luck 🤞👍

I'm counting on that, but as things stand I don't have the workshop space for something better - and this is just for fun
I doubt you'll have to replace it for some time assuming you aren't going straight to making huge burl walnut bowls. Plenty of things to be made on there before you need to get a new one.

I've not long started turning and some of the first things I did was Christmas trees (I know it's a little off season). It gets you used to some of the cuts and you can get something that looks something like you were expecting quite soon.

Youtube has loads of people showing you how to do things, one of the people that was very useful was 'Wortheffort' as he goes through the basics really well.

It's fun making things like trees and snowmen etc but I find things that have a purpose interesting. I've made a fair few handles for chisels and other hand tools and even full size spade handles. I've made 2 whistles as well now which is interesting as it requires centre drilling and is surprisingly pleasing when you can blow a note on the finished product.

Get yourself a face shield before you do anything though, there have been a couple of tragedies I've read recently, and there are always plenty of minor injuries and lucky misses.

Ive just started recently and ive took a hands on lesson, really helps to have that one on one, also join a club.

I only started turning in August so still make the occasional rookie error. Here's some lesson's I've learned.
  1. Buy a decent face shield.
  2. Buy some ring centres, that way when you do get a catch the work will cease turning and you'll build up a feel for the tools with greatly reduced risk.
  3. No amount of youtube videos or books will critique what you are doing. Get someone to show you one to one and then correct anything before it becomes a habit.
  4. Find a fast, repeatable way to sharpen. You'll be doing it more often than you think.

Get a face shield .
And wear a mask .
Or get something that does both. , I use an airshield pro .
The amount of near/very near misses I had when I started out put me off for a bit , a face shield was obviously going to preserve my ruggedly handsome fizzog and as an added bonus you can watch the ex project/firewood whizz past your napper with only a slight "safety squint" !

Keith Rowley's Foundation course was the book that got me started. Was lucky that it was in the box of tools that came with the secondhand lathe. I had done a little bit of turning at school woodwork about 40 years before but the advice on safe ways to turn and sharpening should get you going. Plenty of turning books out there but I would say Rowley's is the best one for a beginner.
Regards
John

Protecting your face / eyes and lungs come first . 2 recent deaths in woodturning , So safety is a must.
As said look for a Professional turner and book a day or 2 with them , Also joining a club is a very good idea but you must go in bold and not just sit in the corner , Have fun and keep safe.

I only started turning in August so still make the occasional rookie error. Here's some lesson's I've learned.
  1. Buy a decent face shield.
  2. Buy some ring centres, that way when you do get a catch the work will cease turning and you'll build up a feel for the tools with greatly reduced risk.
  3. No amount of youtube videos or books will critique what you are doing. Get someone to show you one to one and then correct anything before it becomes a habit.
  4. Find a fast, repeatable way to sharpen. You'll be doing it more often than you think.
the lathe sits directly above my (well used) sharpening station. I'm a stickler for sharp tools

I've got a face shield already as I regularly use nylon brushes on drills / angle grinders... I like my eyes!

Keep speed down until you know what you are doing.
Don't turn your nose up at ordinary tool steel chisels - they work just as well as HSS, are cheaper and easier to sharpen.

Hi Rich, some good advice from other posters, but surprised no one mentioned the benefits of YouTube videos. The only problem is their are thousands of them! If you can find a creator that publishes instructional videos that instruct with commentary rather than just show, then these would be the most beneficial. I forget a lot of the contributors from the UK, US and Australia that I have watched, but the two names I can remember are Mike Waldt from Wales who has an extensive back catalog of instructional stuff and WyomingWood Turner. There a many names more which I cannot remember.

hi - I've acquired a functioning lathe for the very good price of £50 - it's nothing special but it works. I have the turning tools, centres, faceplates etc too

what tips/advice would you give a beginner? I've got loads of wood available and I particularly like the idea of using wood that's been glued together in various ways
Hello rich I'm very much a beginner and have been very lucky having extra time on my hands for my new hobby my advice is simply be absolutely thorough precise and slow never rush, research the toxicity of the wood your going to use and follow all safety advice. This will save you time in the long run, avoid costly mistakes and preserve your fingers. I've also found that there are many different ways of turning wood that achieve the same goal so I try to keep an open mind and receptive to all the advice and methods shown by the professionals. Lastly if you are lucky enough to know someone who's a good Turner then pick their knowledge and help. Better than books or videos but those are brilliant to. Cannot comment on anything else as I'm still learning. So welcome to the club enjoy your endeavours and when you turn your fist mushroom wood love a pic regards Pat

As another newbie I'd like to say think Safety Safety Safety. Start with thin 2" inch ish diameter wood as a large heavy six inch log which is way off balance will want to try and launch itself across your work space. Make sure every clamp is tightened down before you start and keep the speed slow. A dust mask is essential when it comes to sanding your creations as the dust can be quite nasty and make you unwell. Face protection in the form of a visor is another essential as when a creation snaps or a bit breaks off it will also launch itself across the room.

The Mike Waldt and Richard Raffan videos are both good and I've found them helpful. There are lots of good tutorials out there on the tube but some can waffle on a bit.

Here's my interpretation of the Keith Rowley sharpening jig made from scraps of wood. The protruding part which slides in and out has yet to have some securing gizmo fitted to lock it in whatever position is required. The upper part is removable and can be easily adjusted in/out or angled.

Attachments

• IMG_9251.JPG
    IMG_9251.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
If you can afford it, get a days tuition with a competent turner.
Get yourself a bench grinder for sharpening the tools because you will be doing lots of that!
The tools you have look like they are high carbon steel. They will still work well but will need sharpening more frequently than high speed steel tools.
Avoid turning glue-ups until you get better at it.
Don't ever turn the lathe on unless with a piece of wood attached unless you are wearing your visor.
Don't turn wood with big cracks in it.

I started off on a lathe very similar to that one. Don't think a better lathe will make you a better turner but if eventually you do choose to upgrade you will know what you will need from your next lathe.

I found soft wood was not the best to start with .
Maybee my lack of technique or finesse but I got lots of catches

Latest posts

Back