square turned spindles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiglio

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all

I’m looking for some 32mm ish square turned spindles, can find a few 41mm examples on line but nothing smaller. Has some quotes to make new to match the originals but these are bit on the spendy side ( though i realise its a bit of a niche market and time consuming for small orders) hence a search for potential off the shelf alternatives.
Anyone able to offer potential supplier?

many thanks

I presume you’re talking about spindles as in balustrades, 32 mil, loads on the Internet, a standard size, and probably at somewhere like Howdens Or was it a particular shape you wanted?

Plenty or round turned but so far only 1 square turned , more available in 41mm but the shaped section is pretty short.
7FAD05D8-C78C-4FDB-ACC1-D6DEF92BF3CA.jpeg

The customer wants to retain the more slender profile of the existing spindles, but has baulked at the cost of having them replicated, though i expect they’ll either have to pay for what they think they want or decide they can accept something they currently are sure they don’t want.

Sorry can't help with a spindle supplier but just interested if anybody knows how they make the square moulded ones as shown above, it's something I wonder every time I see them?

Doug, the method I'm aware of is called therming, or barrel turning. Imagine the spindles mounted around the edges of two large faceplates like the staves of a barrel, turn the profile on the 1st face, rotate spindles 1/4 turn and repeat x3. Not sure if that makes sense, probably haven't described it very well

Look up router lathe, Trend used to make one, but stopped production some time ago, it was capable of all around turning or segmented turning, or even pierced turning.

Sorry can't help with a spindle supplier but just interested if anybody knows how they make the square moulded ones as shown above, it's something I wonder every time I see them?
Hi Doug
A Legacy mill/ lathe is quite capable of doing that kind of stuff. I have had a Trend router lathe. And three Legacy lathes .The one I have now is called the REVO ,,a great bit of kit. The spindle shown is a simple job.
I have just made some small oblong boxes out of some YEW. I planed the sides and ends on the Revo also cut the 3/8 inch box joints for the corners , then rebated the lid and shaped it at a few degrees.
The YEW dust is not healthy. Mask needed ! !

Try Dave Dalby at stairparts.co.uk
Thanks Neil, whilst looking at the stairparts site , it gave me a new description to google and turned up a pretty good off the shelf match/alternative that looks suitable from another supplier. Sample has been ordered for approval.

Latest posts

Back