Spokeshave Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegillUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

It's NEARLY the weekend which not only means time in the shed (poor man's shop!) but it means that the clocks go forward and we get some evening light, wahey!

Getting to the point when I'm feeling like I could occasionally do with a spokeshave. To be fair, it's nothing I need desperately but one would have come in handy over the past few weeks. My question is that for someone who doesn't feel that they will use it *too* much, is it going to be overkill investing in something expensive as opposed to one of a lesser cost. Can anyone recommend anything in particular that isn't going to be a bank-breaking Veritas but will do an acceptable job. Already accepted the fact that it'll probably need a bit of work when it arrives!

I've been sucked into reading Amazon reviews as I tend to use those to judge most things but there are some real divvies on there.

Look forward to any suggestions!

Cheers!

Nick

EDIT: Sorry, this should have been posted in Tool recommendations!

Bluegill,

About 5 yrsago I started to buy older wooden planes by the job lot. Sort through them and sell on the ones I did not want. I now have about 150+, cleaned, sharpened and used as needed. I still buy some complex moulding shapes.

Amongst the boxes and bags of planes were about 25 wooden spokeshaves. Thery ranged from small ( 7" across) to huge (17" across). I cleaned, sharpened ( a whole other story there) and tried to use them. Compared to my steel spokeshaves they work fine, can deliver fine cuts, coase cuts and leave a polished surface.

What I left out the above was the 2 weeks of hours learning how to properly use them, the best angles to hold them at, the best thickness of shaving to attempt. Hard to gather the knowledge except by doing.

Average cost per spokeshave was £2.88. Not bad compared to Veritas etc.

So have a look a older wooden shaves, experiment a little.

beech1948":2209w472 said:
What I left out the above was the 2 weeks of hours learning how to properly use them, the best angles to hold them at, the best thickness of shaving to attempt. Hard to gather the knowledge except by doing.

Average cost per spokeshave was £2.88. Not bad compared to Veritas etc.

So have a look a older wooden shaves, experiment a little.

I have dabbled with wooden spokeshaves. Can you (or any other enthusiasts) share, here or in its own thread, any advice on reconditioning and using them ? My main query is how is the iron supposed to stay set at the correct depth. I suspect mine have the tangs or holes they sit in too worn so that the blade quickly slips out of work, usually on one side more so than the other.

I have metal Record and Stanley 151 types, and a sweetheart #55 concave one. I have more joy with them, though chatter can be a problem. The 55 is the best for this, I presume because of a narrower mouth. But everywhere I hear people say that wooden ones work better. Not for me ... yet.

try an old stanley 151, that is what I use, it works well, never had a problem with chatter to be honest, like planes, they have to be set up properly.

I too have an assortment of old wooden spokeshaves, bought at random for very little money. They don't look like Stewie's teasing ebony beauties, but they do all cut wood.

My observations:

Getting a whole bunch isn't a bad thing to do - you'll probably find some that work easily straight away and they will guide you on getting the others to work.

The worst problem is with blades worn thin in the middle from over use. If there is not enough steel there, you'll have to admit that tools do eventually wear out. Worn away wood, on the other hand, can be replaced, though I've not needed to.

Sharpening should be on the bevel side only, using a slipstone if you have one, or the edge of a bench stone.

The fit of the square tapered tangs in the square tapered holes is a lovely thing, when it works. If your tangs have rusted badly and then been cleaned up, they may be too small to fit tightly. I wouldn't try bending the blade to bring them closer together - it will probably snap. I'd take one or two tiny slivers of wood (shavings from planing) and glue them into one or both of the holes. When the glue is dry, file it away with a little needle file, testing for fit as you go. You should be able to seat the cutting edge close enough to the body to get a fine shaving but still be able to set it coarse if needed, just by rapping the tool on the bench.

For real basket cases, you could put a small woodscrew through the body so it locks the tang in place, as suggested by Charles Hayward, but it makes adjustment slower to do.

Spokeshaves are the sort of commonplace tool, easily overlooked, that Ken Hawley liked. There's an excellent little booklet on them which he wrote with Dennis Watts, available at Kelham Island Museum shop. See here http://www.hawleytoolcollection.com/ind ... blications

You'd probably need to phone the museum and ask them to post you a copy, or just pick one up on your next visit!

Thanks for the advice and recommendations chaps. Based on what you've all chipped in, I think I might take a pootle to the car boot on Sunday and see what I can find. Always a solid shout for some gems and I've not been to a car boot to look for old tools yet!

I have a variety. what I actually use though is a Stanley 151 which is ancient and cheap. I must have shaped scores of musical instrument necks with it and rarely find anything that it can't handle. Dead easy to adjust, blade easy to sharpen. Very simple and effective.

Yes, find an old 151; make sure it's flat bottom though

I never use my round bottom one :eek:

STA112151.jpg

There are usually some decent secondhand England made 151's going on Ebay for reasonable prices. That's where I got mine from.

John

Looks like everyone of e-bay reads these posts, none under £25.00, I just bought the last one at £12.95 with free postage, supposedly new, will see what I get.

Mike

Still struggling to find something decent at a good price! I've scoured eBay and people seem to be paying more and more for the Stanley 151 flat. Is there anything else to look out for? I have a project in the waiting that I think I'll need a spokeshave for so really want one but don't have a lot of spare cash. I've told myself I won't buy the rubbish stuff this time as it just won't last.

MikeJhn":14iolm76 said:
Looks like everyone of e-bay reads these posts, none under £25.00, I just bought the last one at £12.95 with free postage, supposedly new, will see what I get.

Mike

Its arrived and its brand new, quite pleased.

Mike

Its a flat sole spokeshave and has "Made in England" embossed on the underside of the handle and "No 151" in the middle.

Mike

MikeJhn":3ko86eh7 said:
Its a flat sole spokeshave and has "Made in England" embossed on the underside of the handle and "No 151" in the middle.

Mike

Had a chance to use it yet Mike? Any good?

No chance at the moment OH has just decorated the conservatory and wants all the skirting's changed, not just painted a different colour, but changed to a different shape, and the conservatory is hexagonal. Arghhh

Mike

Back