The Rolls Royce of Jigsaws? Mafell P1cc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a little thread about this big thing. Notice how I've not said beauty as you'd expect something being called 'quite simply, the best JS in the world', to be near enough perfect. Not that I believe humans can create perfection, but still there's certain little things that stood out.

So instead of waiting til later forgetting I thought I'd start this thread early to capture the beginning of what I'm hoping will be a lovely relationship. I bought this as my only proper electric saw and chose this over the Festools and the Bosch blue both of which came highly recommended. Both the others also seemed to fulfill the criteria of 'not made in China'. I think I'll start there...

20220916_155720.jpg

A fulfilling 'not made in China' sign. Hopefully if we were at the time of the Holocaust and Hitler we'd have been avoiding German goods. I choose to (try and) avoid China cos of the Uigher atrocities and ethnic cleansing... amongst other things.

Something I'm unable to capture in the pics is the weight. This thing I'd say weighs at least double that of my 10 year old Makita JS. That seems to also be one of the ones Made in Japan and is solid as owt. To give more of a feel of weight without pulling out the scales. About the weight of a small circular saw, very significant indeed!

20220916_155358.jpg

A few things about attention to detail stood out and I wouldn't expect a Rolls to have such qualities. In this pic you can see that the stop start switch looks like it was a 'last thing Friday' build... Or indeed a 'first thing, hungover Monday'. I've not tried to click it with all my might but it would have been nice if it clicked near perfectly into position. Maybe I'm being harsh but hopefully you know what I mean.

20220916_155328.jpg

Instructions are easy enough to follow from the pics. Which in this instance told me to align both arrows - one on the base and other on the saw - but if you look below, there's no arrow on the tilt base!

20220916_155335.jpg

See, no arrow marking on the tilt base. Slightly disappointing again, especially due to the diagrams on the tilt-base box specifically show the arrow that should be here (like on the regular base). The wind down lever to lock the basw in place also wouldn't engage but I'd say this being a good thing. It just needed a lot more pressure, engaged fully and didn't break.

Other than all them slight negatives above, I'm gonna say I'm happy. Just two more months of instalments but the weight really instilled some confidence. I suppose it's like going from a 2L petrol to a 3L diesel engine. Just an analogy and I look forward to using.

20220916_155530.jpg

Oh, and it seems the only ectra thick blade is the one type. All others appear to be standard single blade thickness. The plastic insert in that Systainer box though. I doubt it'll not be affecred by the elements (under my pillow obviously, where it'll have to be stored :)

Oh (the Imminent Festools Purchase just rrminded me), thw dust extraction seems smart. It comes with a head to connect to an extractor of sorts (adapted vaccum head!?) at the rear of the standard base. But also has a non vaccum piece that points down so the dust is blown back and down (in theory). The tilt base doesn't appear to have all this dust extraction adaptation.

Congratulations on your new tool. Easy to imagine that anyone would be very happy with this kind of instrument.

Genuinely curios (not trolling) - other than the fact that any Mafell tools are always a pleasure to use - why specifically Jigsaw? What do you plan to do with it which is both required often (with Mafell price I would imagine daily) and can't be done with any other tool for a fraction of Mafell price? After all - Jigsaw is not something that springs to mind when we talk precision and accuracy.

Thanks @fleyh ... The answer is probably multi-facrorial. A few reasons I supposr...

After seeing some mechanical slack (or thinking I'd seen it) in the Makita which was probably me having tried to use it in hardwood. That was after it (the Makita) being away for a week or so with my dad. He loves that thing, or so I think. Initially it was probably gonna be another Makita or then a Metabo as it's none-China made and I'd heard the name mentioned on here but in other regards.

Also, for the past 10 or 15 years I've made do with just the Makita and various handsaws. Briefly used a borrowed sliding mitre saw (too heavy for me and worried about it getting wet so anxiety) and owned a circular saw for a while with which I did the loft and a few other jobs. Was glad to get rid of both as I'm not the smartest of safe-operators.

Today I'm using the Mafell to cut down along the length of a 9 x 2 reclaimed timber joist. All down 3.6m of it and it'll finish as a 6 x 2. I'll then be using it in redwood for shelving and hardwood will be thinned down to make the supports of that shelving to fix into the wall.

Too many saws for me are pointless and another thing to look after/store. Have gotten away with the JS for the past 10 years or so, so I thought I'd treat myself to something special. It all started from here ( Jigsaw (suggest a) ). Not sure if that answered your Q ;-)

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new tool. Easy to imagine that anyone would be very happy with this kind of instrument.

Genuinely curios (not trolling) - other than the fact that any Mafell tools are always a pleasure to use - why specifically Jigsaw? What do you plan to do with it which is both required often (with Mafell price I would imagine daily) and can't be done with any other tool for a fraction of Mafell price? After all - Jigsaw is not something that springs to mind when we talk precision and accuracy.
If you work on site, doing a lot of scribing, a good jigsaw is a fine thing. I thought of getting a Mafell but eventually chose a Festool Carvex as it has a light and is light. No complaints.

Interesting review. I have the Mafell too. (also older Bosch Blue pro and a Milwaukee). Bought because I wanted to do a lot of deep curved cuts in thock framing oak. Bought it s/h but practically unused from one of the tool collector types of people. Superb tool. Far, far better than the Milwaukee (and I only bought that, years ago, because the Bosch was sent off for repair).

The main differences are: the Mafell cuts perpendicularly and does not wander. It is unique in that respect I find. The tilt base is rock solid (the Milwaukee is useless in that regard and I have to cable clip it).

Interesting review. I have the Mafell too. (also older Bosch Blue pro and a Milwaukee). Bought because I wanted to do a lot of deep curved cuts in thock framing oak. Bought it s/h but practically unused from one of the tool collector types of people. Superb tool. Far, far better than the Milwaukee (and I only bought that, years ago, because the Bosch was sent off for repair).

The main differences are: the Mafell cuts perpendicularly and does not wander. It is unique in that respect I find. The tilt base is rock solid (the Milwaukee is useless in that regard and I have to cable clip it).
What is the maximum thickness of oak you have cut a curve in with it?

Been doing some cutting so may aswell pop a little update. Especially since seeing the 'safety' thread. You'd think German engineering (not usually a fan, though I have had a Miele washer for 12 years and that was bought during a 10 year stint with the same Miele vacuum.

Sorry, went a bit off. So the safety of the Mafell seems 'utterly rubbish'. Absolutely no way of seeing if the switch is in the 'on' or 'off' position, unless you examine it closely at the all-black switch. Today I almost had 'an incident' cos of it as I plugged in, I hadn't realised the switch had somehow been turned on (by myself) beforehand!

To remedy this I might paint a red/yellow laquer (nail varnish?) or the sort on the '1' position. Not sure how trades people who are constantly on their machines find this. Happy to report that other than this safety oversight at Mafell and the actual switch not (showing to be) engaging fully, everything else is good.

Been using the Bosch roughcut blade mainly but did try the two Mafell blades also. Only one of which is the '2 blades in one' and aside from a slight improvement I've not noticed too much difference.

Happy to report that with just the standard Bosch (and briefly the Mafells) blade I've cut along the length of about 2.5m of C24 along it's length to chop it from 9 inch to 6 inch 44/47mm thick. Also cut various other softwoods on a bevel as well as straight. Down the length as well as across the grain.

Even in full orbital mode I've not had any deflection nor blade burnout. The Makita would have burnt a blade by now, or at least caused me to stop and allow it to cool. Or maybe just think about whether I need to turn the orbital mode off as I'm getting too much (read 'slight bit of') deflection. This thing, at the end of a cut and in no matter which orientation, brings the blade out perfectly in alignment at the bottom and top of the cut - all of the blade pops out at precisely the same time.

Would be interested to know if all trade-rated body grip jigsaws come with such minimal safety features. So if anyone can share, then most appreciated. I also might contact The Saw Centre to see how they feel about a £500 jigsaw that come with a switch that doesn't seem to (I'm sure it's just aesthetics) full engage in one of the positions. The good news is - I'd been thinking it might just sort itself out - that at least its consistently the same problem!

20220917_201238.jpg

Free hand cut but with the fense edge thingy. At 30 degree slant but blade not long enough to cut through it all. Safety issue I know but it handled it well and made a near pwrfect groove all the way.

20220917_201029.jpg

Just a little update about that switch on the Mafell. The fact that it doesn't fully engage didn't sit too well with me so I contacted the Saw Centre who were brilliant. Got a call from a lovely chap at Mafell.

He (was also brilliant in his service/manners) tells me that he's looked over it with the Mafell demo guy and compared to other machines. Apparently that's just how it is and they don't look to have full engaged. Apparently they do click which he's seen mine doing and there is a reason for the design (flaw?).

I've asked him to enquire for me and he said he'll chase it up and get back to me... Just thought to update here in case anyone's interested. Still love the thing and chasing this glitch up was just more a matter of principle...

Right.. So yesterday, after using the the Mafell and expensive double blade for the umpteenth time cutting down the grain of an 'left out in the rain for the year 8 x 2 joist', the Mafell seemed to be struggling. Recalling my annoyance at the on/off button not being precise (ie. sitting perfectly in the off position) and now noticing the plug looking a bit frazzled (marked which weren't 'knocked-about' marks) I was a bit annoyed.

Pushed the speed up to full power and still it cut slowly and struggled. I had every intention of coming back here for this update and saying that 'see, it's substandard'. But... but... Then I swapped the blade for the standard swiss made Mafell blade and the cutting prowess was back. Cut through the full 2.8m like butter and a hot knife!

Moral of the story: even highly built double-lined Mafell blades wear out eventually. The timber was/is most like a C24 taken from an old listed building. I remain (a bit annoyed at the cosmetics workmanships but) happy at my purchase...

Just saying 😊

Right... So a bit of a plot twist. Firstly, the double blade Cutex that came with the saw seems to have burnt out. Might be my fault for trying to do a bit of a curve in the wood (but with pendulum action off). So I resorted to using the standard Mafell blade that came with it as well as a nice fine cut Makita blade (Japan made it seems from the markings).

But then I noticed I wasn't getting a totally square cut. So I got the square (Forge Steel so who knows how square it actually is now but still looks it!) to it and noted the blade was/is slightly off camber. Have ordered a Festool 4mm thick blade that is also rated for hardwoods but that'll not arrive for a few days.

So I went down to SF and got myself a brand spanking 8tpi set of blades. Milwaukee (and also made in Germany - though it's never been something that's had me convinced) set of 5 blades. Brought home, attached to the saw. Still slightly off camber so went and put the big base plate and checked again.

Still slightly off square by a fraction of a degree. Did the cut (long cut down the grain into c16 timber) which came out none square. Rechecked the saw camber and looks straight 😆. Another plot twist was that the on/off button being a bit off kilter - which UK Mafell said was standard on these saws - started engaging into the on setting fully (for a day).

Lastly, the fact that the on/off switch is all black, meant that yesterday I also turned it on at the mains not realising I'd left the on/off switch engaged whilst marvelling that it's fully working. Thankfully it was safe and away from anyone but my lapse in concentration could easily have caused alot of havoc!

Will I call Mafell... or the Saw Centre. Not sure to be honest, but ai should. Doubt I can afford another piece of the brand spaking updated tools being away for a while!!

<Charles voice, in keeping with today's date>If one can afford a Mafell, one's butler's footman ( which one has if one can afford a Mafell ) checks for one whether the switch is "on" or "off" . the butler's footman would also do the actual sawing for one.</Charles voice, in keeping with today's date>
re the missing arrow.. the V shaped part of the casting at the top of the third "rib" to the right of the thumb in your fourth picture may be what they are calling an "arrow". Our German made micro-wave has "buttons" which are in fact not "buttons" but tiny touch sensitive incomprehensible capacitance triggered designs near the clock.It also has real buttons elsewhere that one can push.I phoned the manufacturer in Germany after I and the french retailer could not work out how to set the clock via "non existent buttons".They told me that they thought of these designs as "buttons".

I have got to worry, anyone who feels that it’s impossible to know if the on off switch is on for a jigsaw is clearly challenged in both hearing and sight. They clearly don’t have the cognitive abilities necessary to go anywhere near machinery.
Again anyone who turns off moving machinery by the plug rather than the on off button and then gets upset that they didn’t check it was actually switched off before Turning back on is clearly a complete danger to themselves and anyone close by.
I read the ‘concerns’ and just became more and more worried about the author. Is this the state of the world when the author wonders that someone else is responsible for their own inept stupidity? The colour of an on off switch is not going to change the idiocy of turning a power tool on at the mains without checking it’s turned off! Perhaps a big sticker is required stating danger moving sharp blade, or don’t plug it in before checking its turned off?
In a previous life, I used to run a company that manufactured safety critical devices, so I’m fully familiar with the need to poke yoke against lunacy of the operator. However, there is always a general accepted requirement for the level of competency of the operator designated to use the kit. As an example, you don’t give saws to toddlers, they haven’t the knowledge or cognitive ability to use them so no amount of poke yoke systems will protect them…..because by their nature they are designed to carry out a dangerous task.
I own and use a Mafell jigsaw, so that might make me a bit biased. However, when others have used it, nobody has ever said that they didn’t know whether the saw was switched on or not, it is obvious when it’s on.

Last edited:
If it was a gun you'd make sure you knew which way was on and which way was off for the safety catch. Or would you ? Those aren't known for being well labelled or colour coded either ....

I should add, I have a P1CC and have no idea which way the switch works. I assume the usual push forward to run just like an angle grinder but I just move it to start and move it the other way to stop. That way it's always off when I plug it in.
The switch is low profile so would be v diff to knock on by accident, but in any case you hold or lie the tool down in such a way that if it surprise started while plugging in, there wouldn't be any drama.

Last edited:
Another P1cc owner here, but even so…

If one’s square if of unknown accuracy, how can one even begin to understand why a cut appears not to be square, never mind a portion blame?

Lol... I really do apologise for the ignorance. Yes, I've ordered a new square. But I checked the 'squareness' with the old school method also (ie. measure both sides 😊

In terms of the on off button. It's my dyslexia (sorry) which is diagnosed as 'organisational difficulties'. If that makes me incapable of using a jigsaw then so be it 😆

All points taken and it wasn't me having a dig at Mafell at all. Just updating of the thread. Sorry if it came as a bit of an annoyance 🫣

Very valid point @Spectric and it's never happened before as I've always been careful to not fiddle with it when it's off. On this occassion I'd noted the on/off button engaging fully after a few months of ownership/usage.

My own stupidity that I'd decided to fiddle with it after it'd been turned off (from the switch, then the mains, which I always do with all power tools and why I didn't/wouldn't buy a cordless cutting tool) but I'd not double checked it was off (they both look the same to me due to the dyslexia so double think the off setting 😃

Back