The Rolls Royce of Jigsaws? Mafell P1cc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@deema you're kind of right and the reason why I have limited the amount of cutting tools in the arsenel (and consciously don't own or use a circular saw and have sold on the router since I'd made do without). Indeed good observation about cognitive abilites. It wasn't until my BSc at uni that I realised it was dyslexia - helped me organise my learning and grab a 1st (not in power tools or joinery) 😊

Put a dab of Tippex on the switch so that it is only visible when the switch is in the "on" position.Means a very carefull "dab" , so that no Tippex at all shows when the switch is in the off position.Then all you have to look for is the Tippex, it's white so It will stand out.It will need renewing from time to time.Tippex as opposed to paint means that should the saw need returning to Mafell for any reason, they can't refuse it as "damaged "( one never knows ).All you have to do is remove the tippex ( rubs off with a little window cleaner on the head of a QTip ), before you send it back. Do the same to all your tool switches.The ones that you've had for a while add a dab of fluorescent paint ( always use the same colour, maybe red for danger because it is on ) over the Tippex. On the ones which are "out of guarantee" use a dab of white paint instead of tippex, and dab of fluorescent pain on top of that, it stands out better with a white base coat.

Last edited:
@redefined_cycles I now feel thoughtless and heartless for my earlier post after understanding the reason for your unusual perspective. I apologise for any offence I’ve given. I admire your dignified come back to my post, a gentleman.
I’m totally naive as to how dyslexia affects your ability to use power tools. (Assuming I’ve correctly) If you don’t mind, can you explain how its affects, I’d thought it only affected the ability to read and write

Hi Deema, nope, not thoughtless at all and a valid input from yourself and the others.

With me in high school everything was going swimmingly (5th year of high school of 1994 when dyslexia was probably under diagnosed) and in hindsight is what I've noted below. Not in any particular order...

So my junior school (aged 7 - 11) and high school was really good with excellent teachers. So my reading and writing was/is spot on, though it takes a bit longer to absorb the information - an excellent resource for anyone wishing to become a better learner is Learning How to Learn on Coursera platform - and both junior and high generally went well.

No one ever realised it was dyslexia and when I got my 1st my elder bro (bit of a genius and a closet arrogant) was left amazed. I took him to get the certificate (golden jubilee award at uni from cpt Jean Luc Picard) which really made his day as he's a lifelong 'trekkie' fan. At uni (4 years before graduation) it was when I first realised I may have dyslexia after a presentation by a student colleague.

It was that all colours look generally the same to me and words/paragraphs have to really be 'sieved' through to get the info out. Hence the diagnosis of organisational difficulties a few minths later by some clinical psychologist. First signs of it (in hindsight) was during my Quran memorisation days.

At about 10 years old (of which I had to really bwg my parents to let me start in the first place as they obviously knew it'd be harder for me than others) I managed to memorise 10 sections (that's a 1/3rd) within less than a year. But at the 11th portion my brain seemed to become totally saturated and the teacher - unknowingly - thought I'd just lost interest and became frustrated at me.

Comeing back to how it affects me now. Reading needs to be done a bit more meticulously and many times certain words are lost in the brain despite trying to 'fish' for them. Colours are still a bit bland - at the age of about 8 I recall my dad taking me for a colour blindness test which I obviously past but it was obviously all linked - which makes me more empathetic to others. Means I wear high vis without fail during my (ultra long distance) cycling in case I meet a few others who wouldn't otherwise drive too close knowingly (the colour helps em spot you alot earlier - which might seem obvious!).

Main thing (and irritation) at the on/off switch is that aswell as being all black the on is a 1 and the off is a 0 (took me a while to actually figure this out as comiuter code doesn't sit well with me!! What's wrong with 'on' and 'off' 😆

Also, for completeness of info, I get distracted easily (and everything that needs organisation in my life is generally a mess, which used to frustrate my lovely dad but he just allowed and ignored it). So when I'm building bicycle wheels - which I'm excellent at thankfully - it's extra peace and quite I need. Hence I always build at night when everyones asleep.

Putting the joist hangers in the loft is an interesting one. With a working house - and obviously the need to do building works during the day for noise pollution needs - and 3 big mouthed bickering kids, I'm having to be extra careful to not go through the ceiling 😁...

On that note I'll not tell anyone that I almost went through last week after trying to calm an argument between the (? mild ADHD) 8 year old son and a stubbborn 12 year old daughter with a missus shouting me that, "will you tell em". Took a mistept whilst it all occured and saved from falling through the plasterboard/ceiling by 'the nuts'. Twas painful, but a well learnt lesson and thankfully all safety measures with the JS had been adhered to and it was off and unplugged!

Might try and update about the squareness of the blade mechanism once my festools blades and the bandnew square arrive! Though I'm probably using the Mafell to the edge of it's limit (having not invested in a circular saw and sold off my last cheap one before a mishap).

Back