Spokeshave Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll work fine, just keep an eye on it. Vinegar can be quite aggresive. Can really take the shine off, not an issue here but worth being aware of. Take it out and scrub it occasionally. No expert compared to many on here but I've found vinegar can be quite harsh. I tend to use citric acid now, I find it's just as cheap if not cheaper than vinegar and you can control the dilution. Get some off the net, it's pennies really. Crack on with the vinegar but I've found that washing it off well and coating the tool in bicarb (soda) will neutralise any remaining acidity. I've had a few bits flash rust when I haven't done this but could be down to conditions, metal types , my idiocy etc. Make sure you dry everything very well.
Little hard nylon or brass wire brushes are handy to have around. A few bits of wet and dry of various grits the same. Green pads, and white pads (kitchen type) but the white ones are softer and will scratch less.
If you caught the bug and it can be quite infectious (luckily it doesn't tend to be a long term disease in general) you could have a look at electrolysis or higher end dedicated rust removers.
Tbh, I'd think about the finish you want. 'Shiny and new' or 'if its not rusty you're too involved in your tools and not making woodwork' and anything in between. It's your tool so you decide what you want. Everyone has their own opinions. Not like you're going at a Van Gogh with a spray can to 'brighten it up a bit'. Crack on and enjoy it. :wink: You have now joined the Rescuer Of Old Tools Club which ain't a bad club to be in, even part time :D

There's some great links here if you havent seen it. tool-cleaning-and-restoration-links-t82859.html
Andy's 'I didnt invent it!' solution is great stuff for wood and metal. old-tool-cleaning-part-4-general-cleaning-with-reviver-t64945.html

BluegillUK":11npi3fk said:
Looks awesome!
Ta!

BluegillUK":11npi3fk said:
I'm going to do distilled white vinegar for the rusted metal parts. Any reason why that wouldn't work?
It'll work fine. Add some salt and it'll work even better.

Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out, best of luck with it!

I scrub off periodically (using an old toothbrush) to help the action of any anti-rust soak just as BM has recommended above. Well worth doing if you're around during the soaking period. But in addition I highly recommend scouring or wire brushing off as much rust as will easily come off before you soak so that there's less rust needing to be eaten by the acid. Sometimes this alone takes off far more rust than you'd expect :) Doing both makes a big difference in the time needed to get back to an acceptable surface, sometimes cutting it down from 12-24 hours to just a few hours.

Incidentally since you need to scrub off residue at the end of the soak anyway I take the opportunity to neutralise remaining acidity at the same time by using hand soap for the scrubbing. Soaps are nearly all quite alkaline so you save having to do a separate rinse or soak in a baking soda or washing soda solution.

Latest posts

Back