Spokeshave Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody gutted, missed out on a Record A151 last night for just over a tenner. Was an eBay auction ending at 1:15ish, fell asleep :(

BluegillUK":2e5fqw08 said:
Bloody gutted, missed out on a Record A151 last night for just over a tenner. Was an eBay auction ending at 1:15ish, fell asleep :(

just use gixen next time, there's no need to actually be there at the time it finishes anymore, snipebid it.

thetyreman":nw1mqxqw said:
BluegillUK":nw1mqxqw said:

just use gixen next time, there's no need to actually be there at the time it finishes anymore, snipebid it.

But that takes the fun out of manual sniping! :eek: :D

MikeJhn":3g5ofzuo said:
No chance at the moment OH has just decorated the conservatory and wants all the skirting's changed, not just painted a different colour, but changed to a different shape, and the conservatory is hexagonal. Arghhh

Mike

Used it today for the first time, brilliant, just like being back at school in the woodwork department.

Mike

MikeJhn":1zrkx3sn said:
MikeJhn":1zrkx3sn said:
No chance at the moment OH has just decorated the conservatory and wants all the skirting's changed, not just painted a different colour, but changed to a different shape, and the conservatory is hexagonal. Arghhh

Mike

Used it today for the first time, brilliant, just like being back at school in the woodwork department.

Mike

Thanks for the update Mike! Glad it's good, did you say you got the last one?

Went for the first one in the end as it was low price and worth a pop- looks like it could be a Stanley but not sure. Got it for £7.20 posted so even if it's rubbish, I can either sell it on or bin it!

Yes I think that is a Stanley, I got one just like it a couple of weekends ago! Yours is possibly 80s vintage.

Hopefully your adjustment nuts won't be seized. If they are but the threaded rods that go into the casting will turn it can still be adjusted. It's not an ideal situation but it seems to work fine in practice.

ED65":1uynndz1 said:
Yes I think that is a Stanley, I got one just like it a couple of weekends ago! Yours is possibly 80s vintage.

Hopefully your adjustment nuts won't be seized. If they are but the threaded rods that go into the casting will turn it can still be adjusted. It's not an ideal situation but it seems to work fine in practice.

Well that would be nice if it is a Stanley, for sure! If the nuts are seized, is there any way to ease them off? Looks like I'll hand to spend a little time playing around and making it look pretty again :)

BluegillUK":19p82113 said:
If the nuts are seized, is there any way to ease them off?
Rust soak first, as that might break the rust seal at the edges which may be all that's holding them firm. About 8/10 that does it for me, even on screws that look at first to be hopelessly rusted.

If that doesn't do the trick you'll want to apply some penetrating lubricant and give it some hours or a day to work its way in. WD-40 isn't the best thing for this but will often work all the same.

Don't oil first before the rust soak by the way, unless you thoroughly clean it before soaking.

One more trick, this doesn't have to be a last resort but you can also try heating the nuts up in a flame or using a heat gun to expand the metal, sometimes that'll work. I used this trick successfully for the first time on another tool bought at the same car boot as my spokeshave! It went from stuck fast to easily turns in one go, but unfortunately it didn't help with my spokeshave screws, although I only tried it once. Because my threaded rods turn I didn't need to mess about any further to get it back into usable condition but it is worth doing this more than once if you need to.

BluegillUK":19p82113 said:
Looks like I'll hand to spend a little time playing around and making it look pretty again :)
If you want to do a full cosmetic restoration Poundland sell a very decent black enamel in a can. Mix well, transfer some out and thin it a tad with some white spirit, 2-3 coats brushed on and you'll get a top-notch finish, indistinguishable from a factory spray job.

That's just the info I needed, thanks very much for all of the help! Can't wait to get it now and have a tinker.

Do you have to flatten the connecting surface on a spokeshave like you do a hand plane?

BluegillUK":3n98a18v said:
That's just the info I needed, thanks very much for all of the help! Can't wait to get it now and have a tinker.

Do you have to flatten the connecting surface on a spokeshave like you do a hand plane?

The bed, which is what the blade is clamped against, needs to be flat. On a good spokeshave, it will already be flat. On a poor one, careful use of a file will improve things. I think some of the really cheap £3 spokeshaves have an un-machined cast surface for the bed, possibly covered with rough paint, which will need filing smooth.

If you don't have suitable small files, stick abrasive paper to lollysticks or similar scraps of wood.

AndyT":23munjxh said:
BluegillUK":23munjxh said:

The bed, which is what the blade is clamped against, needs to be flat. On a good spokeshave, it will already be flat. On a poor one, careful use of a file will improve things. I think some of the really cheap £3 spokeshaves have an un-machined cast surface for the bed, possibly covered with rough paint, which will need filing smooth.

If you don't have suitable small files, stick abrasive paper to lollysticks or similar scraps of wood.

Will see what condition it is in when it arrives and go from there. Appreciate the pointers Andy!

AndyT":2bawzbiy said:
I think some of the really cheap £3 spokeshaves have an un-machined cast surface for the bed, possibly covered with rough paint...
It's not just the cheap-and-cheerful ones, isn't that also the case with every Stanley and Record spokeshave ever sold?

I prep the bed too but I'm not 100% convinced it's an absolute must for performance because every spokeshave I've ever seen in the wild that I could take apart, including numerous ones that were obviously used heavily by one or more previous owners, still had the original paint there. On some it was the only remaining patch of paint, protected from wear and weathering by the iron it's usually in pristine condition.

To remove rust without marking the surface Coca Cola works, unless you want to use Hydrochloric acid diluted of course, but be careful with it.

Mike

ED65":1caadw8k said:
AndyT":1caadw8k said:
I think some of the really cheap £3 spokeshaves have an un-machined cast surface for the bed, possibly covered with rough paint...
It's not just the cheap-and-cheerful ones, isn't that also the case with every Stanley and Record spokeshave ever sold?

I prep the bed too but I'm not 100% convinced it's an absolute must for performance because every spokeshave I've ever seen in the wild that I could take apart, including numerous ones that were obviously used heavily by one or more previous owners, still had the original paint there. On some it was the only remaining patch of paint, protected from wear and weathering by the iron it's usually in pristine condition.

Thanks Ed - and apologies for my false memories!
I've just been and checked a few spokeshaves. On the 1970/s or 80s Record and Stanley that I've had from new, you are quite right - the paint is there, but it is smooth. On an old Record 050 and Stanley 53 it's pretty much not there, though I can't remember if I removed it or got them that way. An old Preston is pretty much paint free all over.
All these shaves work fine, so I withdraw my previous comment. If it ain't broke, don't waste time imagining you are fixing it!

AndyT":23fjtwfl said:
An old Preston is pretty much paint free all over.
My memory is faulty too, now that you mention Prestons the ones I've seen appeared to be entirely paint free too. I've no excuse for forgetting about them, I was looking at the photos I took of one on a seller's table not half an hour previously! :oops:

AndyT":23fjtwfl said:
If it ain't broke, don't waste time imagining you are fixing it!
:D

In case you were interested I thought I'd show you mine.

Here's the after:

LllhhPY.jpg

Here's what it looked like before I started:

rvPRGAO.jpg

Looks awesome! Mine arrived today so I'll try and do a before and after.

I'm going to do distilled white vinegar for the rusted metal parts. Any reason why that wouldn't work?

Latest posts

Back