Split Nuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Martin the Woodkateer very kindly donated an old steel backed d/t saw to me to attempt to refurb for a good friend. Having removed the handle from the blade, it's evident that both the split nuts are 'far gone' and need to be replaced. Are such things made and could anyone point me in the direction of a supplier? Going to try PFT in town tomorrow so they may well stock a few. Many thanks - Rob

woodbloke":3r8ugqhq said:
Martin the Woodkateer very kindly donated an old steel backed d/t saw to me to attempt to refurb for a good friend. Having removed the handle from the blade, it's evident that both the split nuts are 'far gone' and need to be replaced.

You may be able to get replacement nuts from an otherwise wrecked saw; brass nuts don't rust, but steel blades do, and blades bend, and handles get worm.

I normally buy (very) old saws at car boots, if they're under 50p and have good locking brass nuts.

In any case, the nuts you removed may be reusable; they only have to hold the handle on, since anyone sensible tightens the handle onto the blade using an external clamp or vice, so the nuts don't have to generate tension, merely maintain it.

At least I do now, having stripped a few threads in the past.

BugBear

Can't post a pic of the original nuts but the shafts are bent and there's very little thread left on the bolts, so they are pretty much useless - Rob

Rob, there is no reason you can't turn and thread brass nuts etc. on your wood lathe, a sharp HSS skew or scraper will work fine if presented as you would on a metal lathe.

woodbloke":2icim9mn said:
Can't post a pic of the original nuts but the shafts are bent and there's very little thread left on the bolts, so they are pretty much useless - Rob

That's about normal when you take apart old split nuts.

I've put many of these back successfully.

BugBear

Alan - very interesting , didn't think about making some. I have most of the stuff already to do them and would just need to get hold of some threaded brass rod...may well have a go, many thanks - Rob
well keep the camera rolling and if you make some lets have a look at how it went. I'm considering doing the same thing myself as I have most of the tools...I might need to buy a new soldering gadget though...I've never used a mapp torch before.

regards
Alan

Maybe a mechanical engineer I know could knock up a couple for you :wink:
Rich.

Back