Spindle Moulder Tooling - What are all the numbers for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbmcg

Established Member
Reaction score
I am starting to use the spindle moulder a little bit now, just experimenting really, and I wondered if anybody had a list of descriptions for all the 40m and 50mm series tooling? You know, this sort of thing.

I know some are obvious, but some of them look a bit weird and it's not always obvious how you use them or what they were designed for.

Any ideas?

The numbers refer to the profile , its not an ogee now its a 009678543 thing with limiters code number 8496548.1 :x
you need to look at your block and see what size it can take , if it can take 50mm then id buy them for the few quid more . If your workshop is private maybe buy some limiter blanks because limiters are a pain ..........(but are a legal requirement and i insist on you using them )
You probably know this but i have to say it , Respect that machine and be careful , it will take your fingers off before you can say ouch !
The profiles are on the link you put up , you can use the fence to use part or all of the profile so most of the cutter may not be used .
P.S the x4 will be two cutters two limiters but best call the company to assure this .

A lot of the numbers derive from the KWO designs (1 to 128) which almost everyone and their dog has copied. Wealden in fact sell the original KWO cutters. As JFC says a lot of the smaller blocks will only take a 40mm high x 4mm (5/32in) thick cutters. This is the standard thickness for pinned cutter block cutters, whilst serrated back cutters (used in a different type of cutterblock) come in 6mm and 8mm thick. You will need to order the limiters separately as they have a different code reference to the cutters. These 40mm cutters are a lot cheaper and come in a far wider variety (pre-ground) than the larger 50mm high cutters, so I'm not sure that I'd advise in favour of the 50mm over the 40mm, in fact for some purposes I use 30mm Whitehill cutterblocks and grind my own cutters - this requires a profile grinder and cannot be readily done by hand and eye any more. Be aware that the majority of these pre-ground cutters are tool steel. Longer life cutters (in HSS or TCT) are available from some manufacturers in a more limited range of pre-ground profiles, and for rebating the best blocks have skew cut disposable TCT inserts and spurs. I'd recommend getting a copy of the current Whitehill catalogue to see what is available (and in their case made inthe UK).

Many of the pre-ground cutters have two or three profiles on a single cutter to increase their usefulness. Seeing the profiles full size (KWO do a profile chart) can help you visualise the effect, especially if the chart shows the wood cross section rather than the cutter profile.

I'd also agree with JFC re the limiters. They increase your tooling costs and the set-up time, but in the event of an accident they'll substantially reduce the chance of an amputation of finger or in extreme instances hand :shock: Because they limit the "bite" of the block you may also find that they improve the quality of the cut. Whatever else you do a spindle needs to be guarded properly and used with either Shaw guards or a power feeder. There is some good advice on the use of spindles on the HSE website here. This is not "nanny state" stuff but genuinely useful gen and explains the use of the false ("zero clearance") fence, Shaw guards and jigs, etc for ring fence work (which can still give me the willies despite many years experience). I'd also recommend Eric Stephenson's excellent book on the subject "Spindle Moulder Handbook" (publ. Stobart-Davies, reprinted 1999, ISBN 0-85442-031-2 , £18.95) as well as F.E.Sherlock's more general text "Machine Woodworking Technology - for Hand Woodworkers" (publ. Stobart-Davies, ISBN 0-85542-041-X, £16.95) which covers spindles in less detail but does deal with operation of other machinery in the shop. Bear in mind that these are older publications, there being relatively written about this subject, and do not cover many of the more recent changes in cutter legislation, details of which may be found here. But they do cover European and in particular British practice which is sometimes at variance with American practice, especially where personal safety is concerned.

I hope that you get much productive work from your purchase

Scrit

Thanks for the info guys. The Spindle moulder in question is actually part of my Felder CF731 so I've used it quite a bit on and off for mostly rebating. The block I have is the Felder 40mm Euro block and I have 7 or 8 cutters with the limiters.

What I was actually looking for was some info on what some of the stranger looking cutters are for. Some look like they could be for moulding sashes and the like. I guess I'll just have to use my imagination :lol:

I'll have a look at the Whitehill catalogue scrit, thanks for the info.

post the code numbers of the ones you want to know and ill try and tell you what they are for . If i dont know Scrit will :lol:

mrbmcg":34jjzt8d said:
What I was actually looking for was some info on what some of the stranger looking cutters are for. Some look like they could be for moulding sashes and the like. I guess I'll just have to use my imagination :lol:

Welcome to the wierd wonderful world of spindle moulder cutters :D .
Some of the shapes makes me wonder at times. You really do have to as you say use your imagination, after a while you do start to see what they can do.

Try looking at the CMT range in the Axminster cat for the 40mm as they do a decent range of the multi profile cutters, just by using a part of the cutter and setting the fence to suit you can usualy get 3 or 4 different profiles just from one cutter, and as you have a Felder by utilising the spindle tilt you can have 5 or 6 profiles from one cutter, making them really cost effective. And as Scrit mentioned try the Whitehill catalogue as they do a lot of traditional ones for windows and door frames & doors and traditional mouldings like dado rails and picture rails etc etc etc. good prices too.

I'm afraid actual info on what the various cutters are for is hard to come by, it's usually by trial & error or just good old experience and asking others.

I'm sure someone sits in a design office all day dreaming about what shapes to make from tool steel :D :D

Hope this helps

Thanks again folks.

JFB - I will have a look and get back to you. I am going to try to make a wooden double-glazed sliding sash window and I wondered wether one or other of these cutters is designed to make any particular common parts or profiles of such a thing.

Back