Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s no wonder speed junkies like Lons go around flouting the law!
That's complete and utter rubbish and I object very strongly to that and suggest you read all the posts in this thread. I don't go around normally breaking the speed limit, I drive sensibly and within the law usually, partly because the cost of fuel makes it rather stupid to drive as you say "like a speed junkie" and on the occasion I didn't I accepted the consequences without question and in my posts I stated the facts not excuses. I do stay close to the limit when conditions allow to keep traffic moving unlike it seems you who crawl along building up a queue of traffic behind then some silly person gets impatient and overtakes several cars endangering everyone. Several others on this thread have been on a speed awareness course though few have admitted their actual offence, are you also calling them speed junkies.
If you're worried or confused about your speedo readings then use a sat nav in combination as GPS readings are more accurate.

You really need to educate yourself on current regulations before making assumptions

Under UK law - which is based on a European Union standard - UK speedometer regulations also outline how accurate speedometers must be.

The regulation states that speedometers must never underreport a vehicle's speed, while it must never overreport by more than 110% of the actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if you’re going 40mph, your speedometer may read up to 50.25mph - but it can never read less than 40mph. In order to stay within the law, carmakers calibrate their speedometers to slightly overreport their vehicles' speeds.

Have you EVER exceeded any speed limit? If the answer to that is no then I'd find it difficult to believe.

You're right. The rules are, after all, for the guidance of angels and the obedience of fools.

A learner driver would not fail their test for driving slowly. They might, however, fail for not making good progress on the highway which would indicate to the examiner that the driver lacks confidence in their abilities and needs more training and experience.
No they will fail for driving too slowly and therefore not making good progress. You will not pass a motorcycle test if you ride at 40mph in a national unless there are horses or a tractor etc

I don't give a damn whether or not you believe it TBH but for the record the information was obtained by a local county councillor prior to him being elected as leader and I had nothing to do with it. Info to me came direct from the horses mouth as I know him but it was reported locally anyway.

So you can shove your opinion where the sun doesn't shine fella. :ROFLMAO:
OK
I believe you but I don't believe your man's story.

That's complete and utter rubbish and I object very strongly to that and suggest you read all the posts in this thread. I don't go around normally breaking the speed limit, I drive sensibly and within the law usually, partly because the cost of fuel makes it rather stupid to drive as you say "like a speed junkie" and on the occasion I didn't I accepted the consequences without question and in my posts I stated the facts not excuses. I do stay close to the limit when conditions allow to keep traffic moving unlike it seems you who crawl along building up a queue of traffic behind then some silly person gets impatient and overtakes several cars endangering everyone. Several others on this thread have been on a speed awareness course though few have admitted their actual offence, are you also calling them speed junkies.
If you're worried or confused about your speedo readings then use a sat nav in combination as GPS readings are more accurate.

You really need to educate yourself on current regulations before making assumptions

Have you EVER exceeded any speed limit? If the answer to that is no then I'd find it difficult to believe.
I have read it and I would like it known I have no points on my license for any offence and I have never had to attend a speed awareness course. I did once get fined for having a back wheel in a box junction several years ago it was I suppose poor judgment on that occasion .☹️ Can I just say you were very lucky a small child wasn’t crossing the road next to that sign assuming it to be much safer within the 30mph zone whilst you hurtled through like a ballistic missile!

Last edited:
Yebbut you don’t know him so why would you assume he’s lying (Lons councillor not Lons)
cos it's a daft story of the sort being told all over the place by the anti traffic-control lobby, usually suggesting that it's all about collecting revenue.

cos it's a daft story of the sort being told all over the place by the anti traffic-control lobby, usually suggesting that it's all about collecting revenue.
Yebbut he did say it was backed up by a freedom of information request so presume it could be corroborated and so makes it appear you are just being contrary?

Have we a crossed line? It's Lon's councillor's story I don't believe, not yours.
As I said what you believe matters not a single jot, I know it's true.

This gentleman is local to me and I know him personally though he isn't a friend and although he was acting for political reasons (that's a concept you're very familiar with ;)), while a County Councillor he obtained the information under freedom of information act, it took a while before they would release it for reasons that became apparent. He pressed for the camera to be deployed in other areas for safety reasons and it wasn't until he was elected leader that he got his and local residents wish. It's noticeably absent from the original site these days and is hopefully saving lives rather than just raking in money.

I have read it and I would like it known I have no points on my license for any offence and I have never had to attend a speed awareness course. I did once get fined for having a back wheel in a box junction several years ago it was I suppose poor judgment on that occasion .☹️ Can I just say you were very lucky a small child wasn’t crossing the road next to that sign assuming it to be much safer within the 30mph zone whilst you hurtled through like a ballistic missile!
Tom

This is going nowhere. I'm not accusing you of ever speeding but there are a great many people who say they haven't any points for any offence, it usually means they've never been caught. Neither does it mean they're speed merchants as sometimes it's a lack of concentration, distraction like kids in the car, radio, smoking (which should be banned while driving) or countless other reasons.

You don't know the stretch of road involved, the 30mph signs are outside the village as often is the case for obvious reasons, there are no houses or footpaths there and in all the years of driving through it I've never seen anyone even close to it, there's no reason for them to be there. That said I was over the speed limit and as I've stated numerous times I fully accept that and never tried to excuse it, however to say "whilst you hurtled through like a ballistic missile" is a ridiculous comment so I'll repeat. I was clocked at 34mph, in line with the 30mph sign and was under 30 within a very few yards. Hardly ballistic missile speed.:unsure:

BTW. We were in Kent in June with the motorhome and our little runabout car so covered a fair number of miles (within the speed limits :)) and I fully understand why it's sensible to drive at very low speeds. Your roads are probably the worst I've driven on in the UK with regard to potholes and collapsing verges, even the buses and lorries were steering as if they were on a slalom course. You have my sympathy

It's my opinion that Head up Display should be a requirement for all new vehicles not an expensive add on as it improves safety but in case anyone is interested there's a cheap easy solution.
My car and my wife's Mini have excellent digital speedo displays but the motorhome and older Skoda Citigo don't so I fitted an aftermarket HUD to both of them, in this case sited in the corner of the dash with projected display on to the screen and connected to the OBD2 port via a thin wire takes maybe minutes to fit and I bought mine for around £20 each. They've been working for around 4 years now.
They duplicate the vehicle speedo exactly so optimistic but are also available as satellite connection which is more accurate.

This is an example, loads available for anyone interested.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115434228811?epid=23045873576&hash=item1ae06a8c4b:g:~Y8AAOSwaXRgewOg

IMG_4082.jpeg
Here’s a challenge! Yes, it’s a real road that vehicles drive down.

Back