Speed Awareness Course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question, why won't drivers use their indicators?
The majority of congestion is caused by drivers not indicating.
This is just my observations over the last 15 - 20 years .many Drivers have a sense of some type of superior entitlement. Why is this - they can drive above the speed limits, they can drive whilst on the phone , they can ignore the most basic law of driving-red means stop 🛑 amber either means prepare to go or to stop . They have no patience- I’ve seen drivers who can’t take the left filter lane drive completely on the pavement, they drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs etc , they have no thought or consideration for other drivers pedestrians or cyclists . they are arrogant and without any thought of safety. And why does all this happen in every town and city across the country - because there are fewer police on the streets , they turned off all the speed and Red light cameras and the police that are on the road ignore red light runners as I’ve seen happen many times where there is a police car waiting at the same set of lights that several cars have gone through a red light . So imho it will only get worse.

Laziness.
In some cases maybe but I was thinking it might be ignorance as not knowing when and where to indicate so they just don't bother.
I know this isn't a serious issue but it really pees me off when I'm sitting at a roundabout waiting for a gap and the approaching traffic turn left without bothering to indicate. I've also seen idiots driving along with the left indicator on and flashing the rear of the cars that pull out in front of them, I wonder how many so called drivers haven't actually had any lessons but we're taught by daddy who just passed on his bad habits.
And yes, sadly it will only get worse.

Don't believe everything you read, Jacob. Most people avoid 'the Golden Mile' like the plague: you get caught on the first set of lights, you get caught on all of them!
The road where I started the count was on Havelock Street, left turn then another left turn onto Aylestone Road, right turn onto Welford Road.
Next left onto Tigers Way and continue until the half mile is up, approaching London Road Railway Station. Check it out on the AA route planner from LRI to the train station. I visit the LRI regularly, taking patients there for radiotherapy treatment and the like as a volunteer.
You meet some unfortunate but lovely, positive people that have enough to worry about without the hassle of transport to and from hospital for their treatment. There really does need to be more volunteers around, even to visit people in their own homes fur a cuppa and a chat. Some people wouldn't get to talk to anyone all week.
The world is a lonely place, I have my 2 labs since I lost my wife at the end of March, but they're not much good to talk with. Getting out and helping others is great, try it. The RVS (ex-WRVS) is so grateful for their volunteers.
Sermon over (sorry for the long post).
Jeff
Leicester is made out of traffic lights. This is why drivers are so aggressive and impatient there. Well, that's my theory. The planners obviously thought the solution to problems caused by traffic lights is, more traffic lights! So you end up not being able to move for the effing things. Unfortunately as a commercial driver I have to go where I'm sent :(

In some cases maybe but I was thinking it might be ignorance as not knowing when and where to indicate so they just don't bother.
I know this isn't a serious issue but it really pees me off when I'm sitting at a roundabout waiting for a gap and the approaching traffic turn left without bothering to indicate. I've also seen idiots driving along with the left indicator on and flashing the rear of the cars that pull out in front of them, I wonder how many so called drivers haven't actually had any lessons but we're taught by daddy who just passed on his bad habits.
And yes, sadly it will only get worse.
See these all the time. I now rely on my Spidey sense...

I’ve done 3 speed awareness courses now.

I must book the next one soon….
Nah-nerr! I've done 4! The last one was online and it was actually really good. If my first one had been like that maybe I wouldn't have needed 3 more...

It's a bit like the recovering alcoholics. Clean for 2 years now....

Yes this is how I understand it , as long as I’m not constantly changing lanes and not leaving a slower moving lane to gain an advantage then swapping lanes to and fro , I see this a lot and it’s infuriating as it just adds to the already congested lanes. Thanks for the clarification.
It's a pleasure to be of assistance.

On the subject of middle lane hogs, I thought a fine had been introduced a few years ago. And there you go, mentioned in a post I now can't find. And yet it seems even more people are doing it than ever before. What's the point of the fine if it it's never actually enforced. They are a royal pain in the neck, these middle lane morons. Sometimes (if it's safe to do so) I pass one on one side at the same time as someone passes them on the other side, just to see if they notice. Nope, still snoozing...

Nah-nerr! I've done 4! The last one was online and it was actually really good. If my first one had been like that maybe I wouldn't have needed 3 more...

It's a bit like the recovering alcoholics. Clean for 2 years now....
The ironic thing is I don’t drive fast, I just hate speedo watching I prefer just to drive appropriately for the situation.

The thing I will never understand is tailgaters. I live in a rural area and often it'll just be me and the car behind, which for some reason wants to drive 0.5sec off my bumper???? whyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! they could literally drop back by 5secs and be 5 secs slower to where ever they are going.

When the road is clear they don't even overtake, they just sit there riding my behind. Are they lonely? scared? have a giant magnet on the front of their car? what is it that pulls them in?

We have deer, boar, badgers, foxes, squirrels, cyclists, pedestrians, trees and rocks all ready to jump into the road at any point, so being so close is just asking to rear end me if i have to brake hard.

The thing I will never understand is tailgaters. I live in a rural area and often it'll just be me and the car behind, which for some reason wants to drive 0.5sec off my bumper???? whyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! they could literally drop back by 5secs and be 5 secs slower to where ever they are going.

When the road is clear they don't even overtake, they just sit there riding my behind. Are they lonely? scared? have a giant magnet on the front of their car? what is it that pulls them in?

We have deer, boar, badgers, foxes, squirrels, cyclists, pedestrians, trees and rocks all ready to jump into the road at any point, so being so close is just asking to rear end me if i have to brake hard.
The smart move is to pull over when it's possible and let them pass.

They're probably saving a load of fuel, taking advantage of your slipstream. :)

I have a question, why won't drivers use their indicators?
The majority of congestion is caused by drivers not indicating.
Brain laziness.
It take the movement of one finger to indicate but the brain can't be bothered because that means having to concentrate continuously.
Much easier to have 99 near misses & argue on the 100th when caught out.

Why oh why indeed?! In all my years of curiously watching people and their behaviours, I am convinced we have the genes of penguins; these creatures either huddle close together when stationary or follow one by one at close linear proximity when on the move. Let me explain, If we park our cherished pride and joy in an isolated supermarket bay, far away from any other vehicle to avoid other from opening their doors and banging them into ours, when you return 15 minutes later, someone has dumped their wagon in the adjoining bay just millimetres away from you. Similarly, if you get on an empty bus, Jasper Carrot’s nutter (those of you in the right age range will recall his comical narrative…) will sit right next to you, drive in a traffic and all the drivers behind simply follow within a ridiculously close proximity to your bumper, mirroring your every move …

Similarly, if you get on an empty bus, Jasper Carrot’s nutter (those of you in the right age range will recall his comical narrative…) will sit right next to you
Just pat the seat next to you as they approach, use this face as additional incentive

Christian Bale Swag GIF

But does avoid Deer etc. hitting their front end!

If we park our cherished pride and joy in an isolated supermarket bay, far away from any other vehicle to avoid other from opening their doors and banging them into ours, when you return 15 minutes later, someone has dumped their wagon in the adjoining bay just millimetres away from you
One explanation for this I've heard is that some drivers have trouble parking accurately between the lines in an unoccupied area and find it easier to park next to another car. I can believe that nowadays.

The smart move is to pull over when it's possible and let them pass.
sometimes I do this if it is clear that they are not going to pass and just want to drive extremely close. It can be very distracting having someone very close behind. Either that or I'll drive slower to mitigate the potential danger of having to stop suddenly.

Latest posts

Back