something very different need help???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had two Zanussi washer dryers (first one got left behind when we moved house - new owners wanted it, and we were moving into a rented place that already had a w/m).

They've both been fine. Current one gets a bit uppity from time to time due to the dodgy plumbing left here by the previous owner (the drain pipe is too small and doesn't drain quickly enough), but waiting a few mins and setting it going again always works.

They also have a nice simple user interface. None of this having to work out which randomly lettered programme on the big wheel corresponds to what you want it to do. Just nice big friendly push buttons for temperature, spin speed, quick wash/rinse hold, drying temperature and time, etc.

Jim

engineer one":98cn3lyo said:
i guess if you have little kids and wash your own nappies, then there is some value to a washer drier, but otherwise separates are the way to go. not least because any drier will always produce tons of damp air as it dries., and where is that going to go???? :?

Our washer dryer uses a condenser, so there is no warm moist air produced. Intermittently in use, it has to drain the condenser and you can hear the pump spin momentarily to remove the water. It uses some additional water I believe, as the condenser also contains the fluff off the clothes and it needs a good slosh of water to get it through the drain pipe. Effectively it dilutes it.

With limited space, its handy on occasions, but to be honest, we are in exactly the situation you describe, - washing nappies, and we are using a dehumidifier in a small room during the winter, and out on the washing line in the summer.

We have an Ariston, and it broke just once, at 4yrs11months, just inside the warrenty - they came and fixed it. Since then no problems, but if it breaks now, 6 or 7 years old I forget, its replacement time.

Adam

How about my 5p.

I bought an AEG washing machine and it worked for 20 years. Then the door latch became a problem and it would sometime work. The microswitch had to be replaced but the metal around it could not handle this. So out it went and we bought another - had it for 3 years now and it does a better wash then the old one. The washer is near the top of the range in both counts.

Our dryer is a cheappie (Indesit - I think the original printed label has worn off) and was bought at the same time as the original AEG so it is 23 years old and going strong.

I figure seperate machines are better and considering I have 3 teenagers = much washing we can just barely cope!

In my case I woulld buy the AEG again. :D

BrianD":mwfftfds said:
In my case I woulld buy the AEG again. :D

We had a top-loading AEG washing machine. It was fabulous - no trouble at all in about 18 years hard use. Since then we've had front-loading AEG's and they have not been so reliable. The first one lasted about 5 years. With the current one we get a lot of trouble with the soap and conditioner tray getting bunged up. Frequently the conditioner is still there after the wash. No apparent blockage so you have to keep fiddling about with it and cleaning it endlessly and it eventually clears - till the next time.

Bring back the two old Hoover blokes on their bicycles, that's what I say :roll:

Paul

sorry to chip in again and i have just bought another 22 washing machines today including 8 washer dryers. The old brands are really no different from some of the cheaper models except in styling. Unless you spend big or but a reconditioned model. Models of three or more years ago are a world away. China has flooded the market and even the bigger names are trading on past glories. I think if you went to the land of festool you might be ok but i would not even worry about the extended warranty as they are just so cheap now. Eg i just bought a white Knight ( whatever the hell that is) and it is the same as an indesit for another 100quid

Corset":3ifulpec said:
i have just bought another 22 washing machines today including 8 washer dryers.

I hope that was work-related :shock:

Otherwise,you must live in a very big house.. :wink:

Andrew

i manage a couple of thirteen bed houses now they are big. I must send you some pictures of what state these places get into. Most students are very good but the other 5% :roll: :roll:
I have just been to a place where the tenants parents are loaded hence money does not mean much to them. They havn't even attempted to hoover or anything i think the £2000 deposit ain't going to make much of a dent.

thanks for all the replies seems us woodworkers are quiet domesticated but dont tell the wives :wink:

have ordered a cheap one will let you know if it goes bang :!:

Back