Something for the weekend.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
A mixed bag........ It should keep me occupied for a while.
IMG_5330.JPG

What will that lot end up being?
Please dont say firewood 🤣 ive got visions of your splitting them down for the next creation

What will that lot end up being?
Please dont say firewood 🤣 ive got visions of your splitting them down for the next creation

Firewood, but I'll extract the best bits of the spalted beech and the oak for carving and a bit of turning.

I think there's a bit of spalted sycamore in there too.

@Sandyn

Apparently there's a firewood shortage in East Jutland, so theft is an issue if it's left elsewhere. That's why I had it dumped in the front garden behind the fence.

Apparently there's a firewood shortage in East Jutland, so theft is an issue if it's left elsewhere. That's why I had it dumped in the front garden behind the fence.
It will be the same all over soon. People trying to reduce their fuel bills. I tried to get a scavenging licence from the Forestry Commission, here but they have to do health and safety assessments for the sites and it will take a year. I'm just going to plant some trees. will be quicker. It's amazing how much useful firewood is left after they have cleared a forest.

Out of interest, what does a lorryload of 'firewood' cost?
My brother has a mill, prices have gone up a lot in the last 2 years. After lockdown eased, orices had gone up to 8k for a lorryload of oak trunks, dread to think what it is now

Firewood, but I'll extract the best bits of the spalted beech and the oak for carving and a bit of turning.

I think there's a bit of spalted sycamore in there too.

@Sandyn

Spalted sycamore is stunning, the last bowl I made sold for a decent price, mine was cut 3 years ago and left outside so was very soft and needed a few treatments of wood hardener to get clean cuts
20220201_164933.jpg
20220201_164900.jpg

Yep, this is a desk top ive just made for a customer in Sycamore ( also called maple, mainly in the states i believe )

Attachments

• 20220222_162940.jpg
    20220222_162940.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220222_162944.jpg
    20220222_162944.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220222_171716.jpg
    20220222_171716.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220319_095356.jpg
    20220319_095356.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 24
Out of interest, what does a lorryload of 'firewood' cost?
My brother has a mill, prices have gone up a lot in the last 2 years. After lockdown eased, orices had gone up to 8k for a lorryload of oak trunks, dread to think what it is now
The Danish sell it by the forest cubic meter or skovrummeter, which probably contains about 30% air, as it is a measurement of the volume of a stack of timber.

A Danish timber wagon has two trailers and can carry 70 forest cubic meters of stacked wood cut in 3m lengths, again a standard length for stacked firewood, and a load of mixed hardwood at the moment costs about £35 / cubic meter + delivery. It's less if you get a full load from the same place. Beech is a bit more expensive, but there isn't any available locally at the moment and oak is about the same price.

If you want super premium oak in long lengths with minimal defects you're looking at about £150 per cubic meter. This stuff is sold by the volume of each stem in cubic meters (no air) and the wagon still carries the same volume but in lengths up to 11m, it hangs off the back a bit if they are that long.

There are grades of timber in between firewood and premium and the price varies.

Delivery is about £350 per load with a crane depending on distance. So a full load of what I've got will be about £3000 at the moment. Mine was 1/3 of a load, so you can imagine what a full load looks like.

The Danish sell it by the forest cubic meter or skovrummeter, which probably contains about 30% air, as it is a measurement of the volume of a stack of timber.

A Danish timber wagon has two trailers and can carry 70 forest cubic meters of stacked wood cut in 3m lengths, again a standard length for stacked firewood, and a load of mixed hardwood at the moment costs about £35 / cubic meter + delivery. It's less if you get a full load from the same place. Beech is a bit more expensive, but there isn't any available locally at the moment and oak is about the same price.

If you want super premium oak in long lengths with minimal defects you're looking at about £150 per cubic meter. This stuff is sold by the volume of each stem in cubic meters (no air) and the wagon still carries the same volume but in lengths up to 11m, it hangs off the back a bit if they are that long.

There are grades of timber in between firewood and premium and the price varies.

Delivery is about £350 per load with a crane depending on distance. So a full load of what I've got will be about £3000 at the moment. Mine was 1/3 of a load, so you can imagine what a full load looks like.

Thats pretty good!

The first step on my little journey is to deal with the firewood.

I cut half of it into chainsaw lengths, which is about 2' and split them in half to make the coffer wall for the circular stack and cut the other half into 1' lengths or smaller and fill the hole in the middle.

IMG_5335.JPG

The stack is 3.6m in diameter and will take 10 cubic meters for every 1m in height. once it's at 1m all the way round and have filled it level, 3m lengths of thin wood is placed across the stack to give it some stability and another 1m is added to the height with more transverse pieces as it gets higher.

I'll take this to two meters and see where we are with the wood. When it's higher than two meters it starts to become a lot of work to dismantle it once it's dry.

IMG_5337.JPG

It bellies out a little to protect the bottom courses from the rain a bit and a roof is put on top.

This is a very old way of stacking a lot of firewood with a small footprint and is practiced all across the northern part of Europe. It's also a very efficient way to dry split firewood, as the wind and sun can get at it from all directions.

Here are some examples from a Estonia, which are thatched with firewood.

estonia_monastery_firewood_214069.jpg

That's about 15 cubic meters of firewood, so about a years worth of burning for us. I'll take the stack to 3 meters in height, as I'm not finished with the one next door, which is taking up the space for the second stack. Hopefully I'll have four years of firewood split and stacked by the end of the year.

As my good friend Martin would say- "There's nothing more comforting than a stack of wood."

Latest posts

Back