Shellac as a finish in UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If shellac is the same as shellac sanding sealer then it's available from most wood turning suppliers.
Terry Smart from Chestnut products categorically states that there is no need to thin shellac sanding sealer - & that his sales do not increase because it's used as sold.
Wood turners use three types of sanding sealer ;shellac thinned with meths, cellulose thinned with cellulose thinners - the proper stuff, not reclaimed, & acrylic which is water based.
Used the same words as I would there Robbo... "IF". Thats the big question.

Shellac is the raw ingredient, which is dissolved in meths in varying thicknesses, with stainers added to give a finished product, be the trans, button, garnet or white.

Trans,button,garnet,white are all types of 'French Polish'

De-waxed shellac can be added/used with oil or varnishes.

In a previous post mrpercysnodgrass linked to a video which shows the whole process. I have a book/pamplet that is quite old and the process hasn't changed much in years. Still better watching that video than my book!

I have used Liberon Spirit Sanding Sealer for years as a shellac finish although I notice it has been removed from Liberon's web site. Dries quickly and easy to apply. I've contacted them to ask what they offer as a replacement
Well that's that then...

lib.jpg

Nobody has mentioned yet that shellac is made from the secretions of the lac insect, a tiny scale insect! 🪳🪳🪳
Beetle poo

I can just imagine some workshop back in 19th century France ...

" I know, lets smear some beetle poo all over this cabinet I've just made "

And that Ladies and Gentlemen, is why they banned Absinthe.

French polish is a process NOT a product.
Any type of shellac can be applied using the French polish technique
Yes sure, that’s the case I think too but it’s also the name of a product and the “Type of Shellac” is the original question. Who calls it what and is it the same, just different names? What do you use Ed? (Product that is).

All I’m personally after is a ready mixed “Shellac” that’s identical to what everyone uses in the US in all the vids. Can’t seem to pin my “want” to an actual product if I’m honest. It’s a minefield to say the least.

Kind Regards… Rob

The most popular here in the states is
Zinsser® Bulls Eye® Shellac
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...s/zinsser-products/woodcare/bulls-eye-shellac
and/or
Zinsser® SealCoat™ Universal Sanding Sealer
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...ts/woodcare/sealcoat-universal-sanding-sealer
Seal coat is a thinner cut (less shellac, more alcohol)
The pre-mixed stuff is basically blond, de-waxed, shellac, nothing too special.

There is a lot of good information and products to be found here
https://www.shellac.net/
I mix my own and I call it, ... shellac, how I apply it varies.
IME the better quality alcohol used to mix, the better the end result.

As a professional , and a user of forms of shellac for the last 40 years, my favourite manufacturer was an old firm in bermondsey London, sadly no longer trading, I then moved on to W s Jenkins in Tottenham. There one can buy everything required to restore, and finish antiques and modern furniture. Also they can supply one with information about their products too. A friendly firm imho. Loads of decent information already mentioned here, glad to hear apart from fiddes in wakes that there's a firm over the border in jockland doing the same .
Jarl

Another shout out for W.S.Jenkins. My go to company for polishing supplies since 1977. Though I am now retired, I am glad to see that they are still operating from same premises in Tarrif Road in North London. I agree always helpful.

Back