Drill/ reamer/ tap storage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's the knowledge that you've just saved future you twenty minutes every time something needs to be found.

If decathlon analyse their sales figures they may be puzzled by the sudden increase in fisherfolk Off to add to the rush so future me isn't wasting time, well at least not in looking for taps and drills ;)

I was aiming to get hold of one of the narrow drawer Bisley cabinets, but this old one (originally from a bank) came up just down the road and we paid £35 for it from a lovely couple. The drawers are taller than we needed but it means we can store more than just reamers etc. We also received a new bench grinding wheel yesterday, so I kept the corrugated card it was wrapped in and that's great for keeping the reamers apart. On the floor is a wax candle to help the drawers slide easily, lots more cutting stuff to hide away in there.
It's in the living room, where I'm also sat feeling like an archaeologist filing away specimens for future reference :)

Thanks for your advice all, really pleased with the cabinet and the cribbage board, each has a different function.

IMG_20240203_171135.jpg IMG_20240203_180815_edit_17303316741629.jpg

I made a thing for this….

IMG_0832.jpeg

Excellent at trapping dust too. Colour coordinated with my other ones…

IMG_0833.jpeg
IMG_0835.jpeg
IMG_0834.jpeg

Et cetera et cetera. Dust traps but at least organised and to hand.

As someone who has a, admittedly maybe irrational, loathing of hanging tools on the wall, makes me feel quite queasy. You have some great stuff, but I would want it all in labelled drawers, out of the nasty dust etc 😂 I am with you on hanging strimmer on hooks on the ceiling, at least I assume that is what it is above the bulb :)

@steve355 …also have the Oxo tin 😁
An essential accessory! No idea what’s in it. Perhaps something I can’t find.

The petrol strimmer is high up on the wall because my wife refuses to use it and I refuse to get rid of it.

But yes it’s a toss up between accessibility of tools and protection from dust. The tools I have that are most “precision” actually are boxed away.

Anyway, what I did at least serves to confirm that’s not what you want to do, therefore useful maybe.

Having had damp workshops in the past, I resorted to using clip lock food boxes from the supermarket for small tool storage.

An essential accessory! No idea what’s in it. Perhaps something I can’t find.

The petrol strimmer is high up on the wall because my wife refuses to use it and I refuse to get rid of it.

But yes it’s a toss up between accessibility of tools and protection from dust. The tools I have that are most “precision” actually are boxed away.

Anyway, what I did at least serves to confirm that’s not what you want to do, therefore useful maybe.
I am with you entirely on accessibility. Many is the time when I have wasted time looking through drawers for something. Usually because the drawer I put it in, which no doubt seemed entirely logical at the time, now doesn't.
Only things I can think of I have on the wall are the hold down stuff for the milling machine, and chuck keys etc for the lathe. My dad used to keep all his micrometers and similar in a shallow cabinet on the wall with sliding glass doors, maybe the best of both worlds :)

OK, all beginning to be sorted. How about morse taper drills - I'd like them to go in a cribbage block again but not sure how well they'd stand in a cylindrical hole. Some a re over an inch diameter so quite heavy.
Any thoughts?

IMG_20240212_101421.jpg

OK, all beginning to be sorted. How about morse taper drills - I'd like them to go in a cribbage block again but not sure how well they'd stand in a cylindrical hole. Some a re over an inch diameter so quite heavy.
Any thoughts?

View attachment 175732
I have a [Crib Board] for my Morse Taper Reamers - the holes were drilled first and then reamed with a 'Morse Taper Reamer' - the board has to be somewhat substantial but could just be 25mm thick but on 'legs'.

Most of those look to be MT2 but there's no reason that you couldn't have MT1 & MT2 (or 3!) holes in the same 'board'.

Aha, I didn't know they exist. I'll do a Google. Thanks J-G.

eta - as it's in wood, would it be ok to use a hand reamer in a drill? And is a coarse reamer better for this than a finish one?

Last edited:
Turns out a straight 14mm drill and a 20mm drill work ok for 2 and 3 MT. I guess they'll get slack with time, but we can always ream in future if that happens. We have a few spare holes, the plan's to get hold of MT to R8 adapters so we can use them on the mill.

IMG_20240213_093419.jpg

They'll be going on their own shelf, safely out of the way!

Latest posts

Back