So strange

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I have an i mac and regardless of what I am doing on it, writing a letter, watching you tube or looking at tools I get this really stange thing happening about every five minutes. I think its an answering machine, a phone rings once and a ladies voice says "hello,' and thats it, its very much in the background but I have no idea how it got there and have no idea how to get rid of it.

Do you have speakers plugged into the computer, I used to sometimes pick up the local taxi firm on mine. I did some head scratching before I finally worked out what it was.

Regards

Dave

I don't know Macs (but I'm not going to let that stop me giving my opinion!). Is it exactly the same sound each time? If so, it sounds like one of your standard system sounds has been set to play a sound clip, just a thought. Back in the days before proper IT security policies we used to replace the 'new mail' sound on PCs with various scurrilous sound clips to embarrass stuffier colleagues - ah, jumpers for goalposts...

I use to get the same in the middle of the night- foreign language coming through the speakers. It use to come and go then all of a sudden seemed to completely stop. Use to freak me out when it first started happening :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

RogerS":qaimmvpg said:
Oh FFS. I did not say there are NO viruses.

Bugbear ...you are in danger of being labelled a troll.

Really? Because I suggested your complacency might be ill founded (with evidence), in the hope
that you and other Mac users might consider installing anti virus software before they get infected?

If that's trolling, I intend to continue it.

BugBear

A 'Mac Vs PC' Thread. Excellent.

Been there, seen it, done it. But I'll go next anyway.....

Macs suck. They're for people that can't use PCs.

Damn, that felt good.

Your go.

bth_362553.gif

MARK.B.":2cn77zg2 said:
Have you run a scan with your anti virus software ?

Woah there hold on guys, i had absolutely no idea there was any difference between my windows pc and a mac and i certainly did not and do not want any controversy or ill feelings to be the result of my comment . If i have a problem with my computer the first thing i do is run a virus scan in the hope it may solve the problem or at least point me in the right direction to a solution, and that is why i asked if the op had done this .
Is a my pc better than a mac ? i have no friggin idea and to be honest i could not care less !!! it does what i want it to do most of the time.
So come on fella's lets call a truce on this one and worry about more important things, like what will Santa bring me :ho2

bugbear":1lizuene said:
RogerS":1lizuene said:
Oh FFS. I did not say there are NO viruses.

Bugbear ...you are in danger of being labelled a troll.

Really? Because I suggested your complacency might be ill founded (with evidence), in the hope
that you and other Mac users might consider installing anti virus software before they get infected?

If that's trolling, I intend to continue it.

BugBear

I am perfectly aware of the (very low level) threats to the Mac platform, thanks all the same. If I had said that there were No viruses then you would have cause to post but I didn't. Had you bothered to actually read what I had said in the first place then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mny thanks guys for such a huge response. I have speakers with a sub woofer plugged into the back of the mack. I must say, it did freak me out as well first time it happened about a week ago. I am also on Skype and I still cant get rid of it.

OK. Does this happen every five minutes? Are there any times when it does not?

Assuming it is every five minutes, go down to your dock and click on every open application and close it. Assuming you have a vanilla iMac then after you have done this, the only thing left with a white dot underneath it is the extreme left hand icon which is the Finder.

Then wait and see if it sounds off again.

Let me know.

Latest posts

Back