SNOW!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNOW !!!!!

65 mile journey from work 5 hours
first 62 miles 1 hour (motorway)
remaining 3 miles 4 HOURS :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry to be a misery guts, but why all the hoo ha over a bit of snow? We are in the northern hemisphere and London is on the same latitude as Moscow.....

Apologies all, I'm just so p***sed of with all the news coverage and fuss over about six inches of snow. Other countries deal with it why can't we?

Rant over I'll get my coat :oops:

Phil

Well Phil I think you have a point.

We live in a very rural area, in winter the road that winds it's way around our property has about six cars a day using it yet every day (when it snows) a huge snow plough comes down our road often at 05:00 and quite often again in the afternoon.

There certainly are some aspects of life here that I don't like but I can not fault the attitude they have to snow and never ever have I heard about schools being closed because of snow. Well not 'till it gets to over six feet anyway. :)

filsgreen":3u25c68k said:
Sorry to be a misery guts, but why all the hoo ha over a bit of snow? We are in the northern hemisphere and London is on the same latitude as Moscow.....

I get fed up by all the people trotting out the usual moan 'if they can do it in Norway/France/Italy...wherever...just fill in the gaps...why can't we'.

Well, peeps, we could and probably would IF and a big IF we were prepared to spend the money but why should we bother? It is so rare that we have any sort of serious snow. Would the same people who whinge about it want to pay more on income tax just so that the snow ploughs can stay locked up and out of use for 999 days out of 1000?

Roger, snow ploughs are not locked away when not in use, they take off the plough and use the vehicle as gritters and in the summer they are used as general vehicles.

Phil

Anyone listen to Any Questions on R4 today?

An interesting point was made by, IIRC, John Selwyn Gummer, about all the schools that closed because of and inch or two of snow. Someone pointed out that council officials are always covering their backs because of the threat of litigation ("I slipped on the ice on the way to school, it's your fault, you should have closed the school, give me £50,000").

His take was that parents should be suing the Heads/council officials who made the decisions and say "We had to take a day off work because you didn't provide the education service you were supposed to provide, pay our lost salaries".

I'm not a parent, so I couldn't possibly comment, but I do have hazy recollections of trudging to school through rather more than an inch or two of snow.

Cheers
Steve

Well, when I was a youngster it was not unusual for us to have snow from January through till the end of March and all the pea-souper fogs, and I never remember my schools being closed for even one day. And we had to do cross-country running across Mitcham Common wearing just a pair of shorts and plimsoles. God, they don't make 'em like us any more :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

There are some wealthy blokes out here in Oz. who would most probably give you a pound for each flake of snow to day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was once,when I was at school,we had to play rugby in about six inches of snow :shock:
And clear the snow off the white lines first.

Andrew

Paul Chapman":3tasfe66 said:
Well, when I was a youngster it was not unusual for us to have snow from January through till the end of March and all the pea-souper fogs, and I never remember my schools being closed for even one day.
When I was a youngster (somewhat more recently...) there was snow in March (iirc) one year and I early on lost one of my "indoor shoes" on the hill up to school - you know, that annoying habit they have (had?) in primary schools of inflicting shoe-changing on the young and slow and then telling them to hurry up. Anyway, that snow hung around for weeks and was evidentally deep, 'cos when it thawed guess what I found had been hiding underneath the stuff? Just call me Cinders... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2wr2hu7p said:
Paul Chapman":2wr2hu7p said:
Well, when I was a youngster it was not unusual for us to have snow from January through till the end of March and all the pea-souper fogs, and I never remember my schools being closed for even one day.
When I was a youngster (somewhat more recently...)

OK, OK I know I'm old - no need to rub it in :lol: :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The only time I remember our school closing was during the winter of 62/63 when it snowed iirc on new years eve, partially thawed and then froze solid as concrete for 7 weeks. We used to go sledging on the hill opposite our home which has long since been built over, and the snow was so deep that we were able to sledge over the Devon hedge and lane at the bottom of the hill into the next field, as though the lane wasn't there.

Alf":65oe9ufw said:
When I was a youngster I remember:lol:

Cheers, Alf
God your memory is as good as swmbo's :lol: :lol: :wink:

PS..... you still aint told us yet :wink: come to think about it neither has Gill :wink: I demand we are told..... so ????? :lol:

Edit...

Oppps the PS is in the wrong thread...... should have been in the "How old are you" on second thoughts perhaps an answer might go unnoticed here :lol:

I haven't read all the posts on the snow, somebody may have already posted this.
In upstate New York there are some towns on Lake Ontario that have had over 8 feet of snow in the last week. I sure am glad I don't live there.

Bob

HEY WAIT A MINUTE

The only time I remember the school being shut, It was in 1940 yes 1940, when there was an air raid and them germans were bombing hell out of Liverpool, the same as other parts of England, I was only 7 years old at the time

Back