SketchUp - Tutorials?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that more and more plans are becoming available via sketchup, and I can see why as its a good program.

As such Ive decided its time to learn to use it. I'm rubbish at drawing so when I try to hand draw plans it just looks a mess, so im hoping this will help me in the future.

Ive looked on YouTube for some tutorial videos and I'm having a go with a few basic ones now.

Now to my questions: The videos im following are general, are there specific ones for wood working that would be of a benefit to watch?

I understand that it can produce cut lists for you in the pro version. Is that right? And if so, are they any good?

Any general hints, tips or advice on this greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

Cheers, Markl

I'm interested in this too.

I was ok at AutoCAD by command line, and not bad with solid works, but cant drive SU for toffee. I've resorted to using my A3 drawing board :lol:

Worth getting to grips with Mark. I am also rubbish at drawing but in no time have been able to come out with drawings on SU that have been acceptable to clients. Never looked much beyond the basic vids as it's quite an intuitive program.

Well I've had a little play and watched a few videos. Didn't realise just how intuitive the software is. I'm going to have plenty of uses for this I'm sure.

pcb1962":12rc9iv5 said:
Though six months after watching them I have forgotten everything I learned.

I have exactly that trouble too! I don't use it often enough at the moment to become accustomed to using it.

For those who use it, see of you can tell me how to do this :)

Currently doing a wiring layout. I'd like it to have windows or overlays that show sections zoomed it (to show the wiring in more detail). I can't find anything on this. I'd like it to print out this way for students. Any ideas chaps?

Completely random, but I really enjoy using sketchup, even if it is only the basics. (hammer)

galleywood":ougi9jvr said:
I asked a similar question a short while back.

I bought the DVD recommended by Steve Maskery and am working through it.

sketchup-for-woodworkers-t92799.html

I'm interested to know how you get on with it. I've heard he's very good about giving personalized help when people contact him directly. If you have questions you could e-mail him. I'm sure he'll answer.

I learnt to use it with "sketchup for woodworkers". I found the style very clear and everything explained properly. Some of the so called tutorials on YouTube give no advice on how to use the software and the number of times you hear "space bar, triple click, G for component" is horribly boring, especially if you don't know what they're talking about.... Sketchup for woodworkers, for me, is the best way to learn this software for free. Once you've grasped these tutorials it's just your imagination, and level of wood working holding you back.

Back