Sketchup For Woodworkers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I've downloaded quite a lot of wood working orientated tutorials from YouTube very interesting and informative. I know there are commercial video/ DVD Sketchup tutorials. I was wondering if anyone had bought them? If so what they thought about them?
Cheers.

Hi, I signed up to Lynda.com, they have really good videos for beginners to medium level. I just cancelled after a month but learned enough to do what I need to. They also have really good tutorials on the vray plugin for photo realistic rendering that I use all the time for my work.

If you want to use SketchUp then IMO there is only one DVD/download worth getting and that is this one by Dave Richards - for two reasons

1) it focusses on using SketchUp for woodworking (as far as I can see Lynda.com is very generalist)

2) the approach and explanations are spot on.

Don't discount using YouTube to learn for free. You have to hunt around a bit, but people like Mathias Wandel and Jay Bates have done some great videos for woodworking

MattRoberts":3vhkf6i0 said:
Don't discount using YouTube to learn for free. You have to hunt around a bit, but people like Mathias Wandel and Jay Bates have done some great videos for woodworking

I've not seen those ones but have others which start you off completely in the wrong direction. For example, using Groups rather than Components.

+1 for Dave Richards's stuff.

He's a woodworker, and understands both SU and the nature of the tasks in woodworking design/construction. Have a look at his blog on the Fine Woodworking web site. There's a huge amount of gold there.

Roger is quite right, for example, components are THE way to work. Dave has also helped me in the past with quirky things like making 3D curved surfaces in SU, and how you make one object modify another.

SU has some built-in limitations (everything does) going back to its origins. They're decisions about how to do stuff, which have set precedents and then stuck. Microsoft Windows is just the same. These problems can be overcome, but for success and freedom from headaches at crucial moments, you need to know quite a lot about what's going on under the surface, which Dave does.

I'm in two minds about whether SU really is easy to learn, or not. My children used it in school. They could draw a 3D house with windows and a chimney in five minutes. When they saw I was using it they were a bit dismissive, on the basis it was a very simple thing, a toy.

As far as I can tell, the way it's used in "ICT"* lessons seems only to be illustrative, "This is how you can use a PC for 3D modelling," rather than getting into the detail, to really make it sing. I doubt their teachers are able to do it, anyway. If I had a problem, and asked the kids, "Did your teacher show you how to do...?" The answer was usually that they hadn't tried that. Then they lost interest in the conversation.

It's deceptive. I don't think it is particularly easy to use. To get good results from it, you do have to learn workarounds for bits of it that don't work particularly nicely. On the other hand, it's the 3D equivalent of Acrobat - everyone has it, so things can be shared and recycled in a way that's pretty much impossible with the likes of Autocad. But the free version is easily good enough to make workable designs for woodworking. I use it to resolve design problems that I can't get right in my head, such as odd joints (I did a weird M+T one for the garage window frames that seems to have worked well). And you can get it running on most platforms (I run it on a Linux box). And it is free.

Have a look at Dave Richards's stuff. You are very unlikely to be disappointed.

E.

*"Information and Communications Technology" educationalists always try to make simple things obscure - it's job preservation!

+1 for Matthias Wandel's Sketchup YouTube tutorials. They're oriented towards woodworking and, for me, got straight to the kinds of things I wanted to know.

For the real hard-liners, Dave Richards has a new e-book out called "Sketchup for Woodworkers - Advanced Techniques". I'm working my way through it at the mo and will post a review when I'm done.

I think it should have been called The Professional Approach rather than just Advanced Techniques, because it's not really the models and examples he uses that are of interest. I, for one, am unlikely ever to want to model a flame finial. But that's not the point. What is of interest is how he goes about organising the construction of the model to make it easy, as well as small and efficient, and avoiding pitfalls further down the line.

I should point out that Dave is a friend of mine, so bear that in mine when you evaluate the above. It doesn't stop it from being true.

Dave's a very helpful bloke. I know him from the wood haven forum. He always pops up with great help whenever sketchup is mentioned

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

+1 for the Dave Richards DVD. A very helpful guy who always seems willing to help if asked politely.

Steve Maskery":3gcz3jti said:
For the real hard-liners, Dave Richards has a new e-book out called "Sketchup for Woodworkers - Advanced Techniques". I'm working my way through it at the mo and will post a review when I'm done.

I think it should have been called The Professional Approach rather than just Advanced Techniques, because it's not really the models and examples he uses that are of interest. I, for one, am unlikely ever to want to model a flame finial. But that's not the point. What is of interest is how he goes about organising the construction of the model to make it easy, as well as small and efficient, and avoiding pitfalls further down the line.

I should point out that Dave is a friend of mine, so bear that in mine when you evaluate the above. It doesn't stop it from being true.
Is he using Sketchup 2016 or an old out of date version?Hopeless trying to follow along when not using same software. Sketchup for Woodworkers - Advanced Techniques been out for a long time hasn't it?

RogerS":20stzvbp said:
If you want to use SketchUp then IMO there is only one DVD/download worth getting and that is this one by Dave Richards - for two reasons

1) it focusses on using SketchUp for woodworking (as far as I can see Lynda.com is very generalist)

2) the approach and explanations are spot on.
As I mentioned in another reply, does he use Sketchup 2016 or an old out of date version? Is hopeless trying to follow along with out of date software is like using two different programs.

The DVD and the images in the book were all created using SU 2015, as 2016 wasn't out then. But there is nothing materially different between the two.
In at least one place in the book, Dave gives two different ways of doing something, depending on whether you are using 2015 or newer, or 2014 or older.

His original DVD, The Basics, was done using SU8, but is still relevant today.

Steve Maskery":16kzyzb6 said:
The DVD and the images in the book were all created using SU 2015, as 2016 wasn't out then. But there is nothing materially different between the two.
In at least one place in the book, Dave gives two different ways of doing something, depending on whether you are using 2015 or newer, or 2014 or older.

His original DVD, The Basics, was done using SU8, but is still relevant today.
I'm with you,
Cheers.

the dvd download is under a tenner so if folk are saying it is still worthit as a training aid i may jump in tonight. Have tried using and learning sketch up before but have always found it clunky and difficult for anything more than a square / oblong bookcase (ironic given i work in IT service delivery and am resonably proficcent in HTML, SQL and command line.)

I'm always surprised by comments like "Sketchup is clunky and difficult for anything more than a square / oblong bookcase" Sketchup works just as if you were creating the pieces in the workshop. Admittedly you have to use push/pull instead of cutting with a saw but it is very similar. Want a mortice, draw a rectangle on the piece push through a bit like using a chisel.

Below is anything but a "square / oblong bookcase"

JMRTy61jTubros3Q60sMgH7XG_QNdPcCHTAaUsmbFmzvZ2Blu04-T2Yf2xocEz-5UigverFeEYKTdIouyDa-g4ZRsM06uQCSMkDrER0epxqGnZKlmMm_OEwkpdS114yRFxLPjRq9IPTshXJSXV9l7JMrQZf3YZFyGQ0f-sQ5FkshKpbPPIBj6ahhqwJ7foyrfIyDLs0XSoCBzrpX5zgI3M_bQsj2KraPxsDiZmEvzzAUdF-18k10Qyg58ZFwVV3Y9pChxnigmZPGu02dE1Dm_SwSWAyHODNWFRi3Q2f2rJ7Tj7Zbl6ADaDMnjLR9rXWIuskn-jGo2CJF2kJ92tjGjr4AHoGqROxfOvcleez6ukF64sSDU_kbZbszL6HKRuX8T3U_GHZXURrA9XlaRPPzNopWw_PuzU0FamtRKq8htNQANxQC7YrUk0lPIq6fZxkQMpd2WMbL6g7Oh9waLGhEul8NRkRJwzCRQ-I_7VsJKjvghedENVG7ZEFJgplyR0YPizPjs5D5_SX8X9ve73jhtTVO-Abpzix8otiCNXrUXSY1VOoDWIMRFSMm_HJ_U0C0wolF=w1132-h664-no

Shultzy":1j6mt2hs said:
I'm always surprised by comments like "Sketchup is clunky and difficult for anything more than a square / oblong bookcase" Sketchup works just as if you were creating the pieces in the workshop. Admittedly you have to use push/pull instead of cutting with a saw but it is very similar. Want a mortice, draw a rectangle on the piece push through a bit like using a chisel.

Below is anything but a "square / oblong bookcase"

JMRTy61jTubros3Q60sMgH7XG_QNdPcCHTAaUsmbFmzvZ2Blu04-T2Yf2xocEz-5UigverFeEYKTdIouyDa-g4ZRsM06uQCSMkDrER0epxqGnZKlmMm_OEwkpdS114yRFxLPjRq9IPTshXJSXV9l7JMrQZf3YZFyGQ0f-sQ5FkshKpbPPIBj6ahhqwJ7foyrfIyDLs0XSoCBzrpX5zgI3M_bQsj2KraPxsDiZmEvzzAUdF-18k10Qyg58ZFwVV3Y9pChxnigmZPGu02dE1Dm_SwSWAyHODNWFRi3Q2f2rJ7Tj7Zbl6ADaDMnjLR9rXWIuskn-jGo2CJF2kJ92tjGjr4AHoGqROxfOvcleez6ukF64sSDU_kbZbszL6HKRuX8T3U_GHZXURrA9XlaRPPzNopWw_PuzU0FamtRKq8htNQANxQC7YrUk0lPIq6fZxkQMpd2WMbL6g7Oh9waLGhEul8NRkRJwzCRQ-I_7VsJKjvghedENVG7ZEFJgplyR0YPizPjs5D5_SX8X9ve73jhtTVO-Abpzix8otiCNXrUXSY1VOoDWIMRFSMm_HJ_U0C0wolF=w1132-h664-no

it is easy to say you are surprised when you know how to use it - maybe the you tube tutorials i have used before have not been sufficient but i have found trying to design things like fitted cupboards and the like where you have to add in skirting and other bits of trim etc already in place a bit difficult. it could also be down in part to something as stupid as using my Mac Book pros track pad rather than attaching a mouse. Hopefully the previously mentioned DVD is exactly what i need and i'll be designing love pieces of complex furniture in a few weeks time.

Latest posts

Back