Shopping on American websites

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyone

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently i have been browsing the web to find the best prices on tools. I have been going to a few of the main woodworking tool websites and finding that they are all the same sort of prices. But when i went on the American websites like rockler.com i find that they are very cheap because of the pound being worth twice as much as the dollar, but when postage and duty being added onto the price is it really worth it? Any past experiences with shopping online from the US?

Thanks

Woody. :wink:

in general its normally only slightly cheaper when you add postage and the possibility of customs. I think you have to get a good deal on the dollar price for it to be an advantage. You can occasionally pickup bargains on US eBay but only if the seller is both willing to ship abroad and interested in getting the best postage deal for you. Certainly, I think, power tools aren't worth it. Maybe for some hand tools.

I surpose that makes sense, i guess i will just have to think of another way to save money but still get the quality :-k hmmm thats a hard one.

woodyone":13icjxk8 said:
Recently i have been browsing the web to find the best prices on tools. I have been going to a few of the main woodworking tool websites and finding that they are all the same sort of prices. But when i went on the American websites like rockler.com i find that they are very cheap because of the pound being worth twice as much as the dollar, but when postage and duty being added onto the price is it really worth it? Any past experiences with shopping online from the US?

Thanks

Woody. :wink:
This thread might be of some help to you

I have bought a number of small items from Lee Valley - this is a Canadian store but they charge in $US for export items. www.leevalley.com
Their range of items is good and prices seem much lower than the UK prices, even including shipping.

I always request "surface mail" which is their lowest cost option.
I have found delivery with this option can take between 2 and 6 weeks.

I have purchased up to $20 without attracting any customs charges. Shipping has been about $8.

HTH John

Sounds like a bargain, i will have a look at this leevalley website and see what they have.

Thanks alot.

Woody

woodyone":3c9k77nv said:
Sounds like a bargain, i will have a look at this leevalley website and see what they have.

Thanks alot.

Woody

And so another innocent victim teetered on the edge of The Slope ......

Recommend you decide on a budget first before visiting :wink: :D

I have bought from several US websites in the past, and still do occasionally. As already mentioned, you have to factor in the additional cost of VAT and import duty on the entire order (including the delivery charge) - you might get lucky and not be charged this but you do have to budget for it though.

As mentioned in the thread linked to above, some shipping companies always apply VAT and import charges (plus their own administration fee), and for me this has included FedEx (who, frustratingly, always bill you later and sometimes months later) and ParcelForce. Others are hit and miss. I have found that value of delivery, size of delivery, number of boxes, etc., don't seem to play a part in determining whether charges are applied - it really is just a lottery (at least here in Ireland anyway).

Also, as you may have already found, the delivery charges from sites can vary considerably. For example, I have found the delivery charges from Lee Valley and Rockler to be reasonable but the charges from Woodcraft can be quite high - I presume the differences arise from different shipping companies used and delivering from different parts of the US and Canada. Incidentally, I always choose Xpress Post when ordering from Lee Valley - they quote a delivery time of a few weeks but my orders always arrive within 3 to 5 working days (may differ to the UK, but not by much I'd imagine).

If you are looking for an EU source of some decent hand tools, then www.fine-tools.com in Germany are another excellent source. They stock some of the Veritas range available from LeeValley plus others. Their delivery is quick and relatively cheap too.

I have had mixed experiences with shopping on US websites Woody. I bought a couple of DMT diamond stones from a chap in Texas, they worked out to be under £40 a piece INCLUDING shipping! These are the 8" x 3" bench stones and have a combined value of twice what I would have paid in the UK. The guy sent them as a gift with low value... no customs charges.

However.... I ordered four saws from Bridge City Toolworks recently and was seriously stung. The shipping is charged after they are sent... it turned out to be $86 plus $20 handling fee. If that wasn't bad enough, FEDEX charged me £38 customs charge.

I was mighty P'd off.

So it's a little hit or miss. Depends on the seller.

Its a risk: UK customs clearance are al ot keener lately, checking almost everything. There is a customs duty database I use ( Tarchap) that lists various goods and the related duties, varies from country of export as well.

I got a consignment of 30 night vision wireless CCTV kits fromChina and got no charges...I got a router fence from North America and got hit for almost 100% again in duties.
Customs are wise to the "gift/low value tricks,and will attach highest retail cost to an article if no clear cost is given or obviously under value cost is implied.....
Not as easy as it once was........

yep I agree there. Back in the late 90's, buying from the states was a much better experience.

If you look at Veritas planes the price difference is marginal if you allow for postage and possible duties.
On the other hand there is a big difference in LN stuff bought from the States!

Rod

Back