Shhhhhh - dont tell everyone but

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":2mmk9isw said:
Buts it not doing anyone a favour ! The point of the thread was to point out someone might get a bargain by posting a link to said bargain. Within 4 posts it had increased in price by £165 and also has any number of extra people watching. Any original person who spotted the mishap have completely wasted there time finding it, as its no different to any other listing ;)
Again I must say, I know he meant well buts its a kind of contradiction broadcasting a mispelt item. You're in effect shouting and telling everyone there's a single bargain to be had, just driving up the price. I give up trying to explain this anymore :lol:

Peace and love, long live trees !

Lol I think we understood your 'message' from your first post in this thread! :)

A) all I was doing was giving a heads ups to a dedicated community within these forums,

I'm sure your intentions were good but this thread is a prime example of why we do not allow such posts.

Now I am confused? Just for clarification are you saying that we are not allowed a link to a saw (or other item) for sale for the benefit of other members?
If that is the case IMHO that would be a shame because I for one have bought things that others have posted links to here. :)

Noel":3cm1j3sb said:
this thread is a prime example of why we do not allow such posts.
But you did allow it didn't you, if fact you're posting to the very same thread instead of closing it.

So which is it? Do you allow it or don't you? And if not where's the exact wording that says notifying other member about bargain's spotted elsewhere is against the rules? I can't find it in the original Posting Guidelines or the supplimental Market Place Guidelines.

Walney Col":qcziwpf8 said:
Noel":qcziwpf8 said:
this thread is a prime example of why we do not allow such posts.
But you did allow it didn't you, if fact you're posting to the very same thread instead of closing it.

So which is it? Do you allow it or don't you? And if not where's the exact wording that says notifying other member about bargain's spotted elsewhere is against the rules? I can't find it in the original Posting Guidelines or the supplimental Market Place Guidelines.
scrimper":qcziwpf8 said:
Now I am confused? Just for clarification are you saying that we are not allowed a link to a saw (or other item) for sale for the benefit of other members?
If that is the case IMHO that would be a shame because I for one have bought things that others have posted links to here. :)

No point closing it, listing ended some days ago and leaving the thread open gets the message across. So to clarify your "do you allow it or don't you", it's a simple no, much as Coley has explained.
No, there's no specific rule relating to this but most folk know it's poor etiquette to post "bargain" links from eBay or similar sites. Indeed many forums do not allow any type of eBay link to be posted.

There's a few reasons behind this:

#1 Anybody selling WW items on eBay can post a link here and drum up a few extra bids
#2 The place would be jammed with supposed bargains from everywhere- members surfing through eBay, Gumtree etc see a few (or a lot) of items that just might interest members and post here. Where would it end?
#3 The chance that a listing for a chisel/plane etc that has 12 hours to go, is at 99p and ends at 2am in the morning and somebody here might have it on their watch list

eBay, especially, is big enough, ugly enough and rich enough to do their own marketing but best of all anybody can surf through every auction they can find and bid until their heart is content. If some need help to look for things then, no matter how they get there, eBay is not the place to point your mouse at.

So, there you go, hope that helps.

Thanks for the clarification, I honestly never realised that one could not post links, I have done so perhaps only a couple of times since I joined 5yrs ago and in both cases it was for Fretsaws. In fairness to other members here (scroll saw section) I have only ever seen sensible items posted here for sale on other sites, in fact 2 weeks or so ago someone posted a link to a rather nice magnifying lamp at a chain shop (I won't name it) at a special price and I did go and buy one so in that case I was very grateful to the poster!

Anyway rules are rules so I will try to be good from now on. :)

I can see the reasoning behind not wanting all and sundry posting links to ebay, but like scrimper I too have found it extremely useful and haven't once in my (albeit limited) time here seen any evidence of it being abused.

scrimper":3moujdag said:
...... I have only ever seen sensible items posted here for sale on other sites, in fact 2 weeks or so ago someone posted a link to a rather nice magnifying lamp at a chain shop (I won't name it) at a special price and I did go and buy one so in that case I was very grateful to the poster!..

Links to fixed price items on sale or being promoted on regular outlets are in the main allowed as long as they are not covertly being promoted by or in connection with an employee of the company or business.
It is active on-line auction links to items members may already be watching that are not allowed.

CHJ":p1iuiutm said:
It is active on-line auction links to items members may already be watching that are not allowed.

Understood, however the only disadvantage with that is that if a member is looking to buy a machine they have until now been able to post a link to that machine (usually on ebay) and asked for the other members opinion of that machine, that is now not allowable which is a shame really because I know that if I wanted to buy an such an item I would certainly value other members advice and indeed I always am happy such advice to other members on their prospective purchases. :)

A perfectly good point scrimper. Tis a shame for sure given that ebay and the like are probably a far more prolific source of many people's tools than commercial outlets such as axminster will ever be.

Back