Record power lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie1975

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently bought a record lathe at an auction. I’ve never owned a lathe. The lathe works fine and is geared for different speeds via a belt mechanism.
I have sourced a tail stock with a point that goes into the wood. My problem is my headstock.
My headstock is threaded and says 3/4x16. Can someone please tell me what I need for my head stock. An adapter for some type of jaws. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EF379FE9-C12A-4DF9-B176-66FE988B8D27.jpeg
    EF379FE9-C12A-4DF9-B176-66FE988B8D27.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8850FB49-24FE-44BF-9161-A2729E6567AB.jpeg
    8850FB49-24FE-44BF-9161-A2729E6567AB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
What you will need is dependent on the chuck or face plae you have. Some of them coming already in that size or if you have any other you need to have insert from 3/4x16 to the thread which is on your chuck/face plate. If it is for turning between points you need to know if it is MT1 or MT2 or other.

Thanks for your reply. What you see in the picture is all I have. I’ll take a few more to let you see

Remember I bought this because I thought it was cheap 75 quid. I’m a total newbie any help is appreciated.I took the silver thing off the lathe, that says 3/4x16 and took a picture. just need advice on what I need to start turning.

Attachments

• 8151CD36-20D3-4116-B012-E38D52072627.jpeg
    8151CD36-20D3-4116-B012-E38D52072627.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3236C4FB-4398-400C-9CD1-6DC6149CDA7B.jpeg
    3236C4FB-4398-400C-9CD1-6DC6149CDA7B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Any chuck with 3/4 x 16 tpi insert ie record sc3 or sc4, sorby patriot , versachuck same for faceplates threaded for 3/4 16 tpi. tailstock and headstock are both mt1 for drive spurs, live centres etc. the bit you've took off is the thread protector and is also used for extracting morse taper accessories has the headstock is not not drilled for a knockout bar

I suggest you look on fleabay for 1 mt spur drive and 1 mt live centre for tail stock. With these you can start spindle work. When you want to progress you then need a scroll chuck with 3/4 by 16 tip for bowls etc. or at least a face plate same thread. You will need lots of other bits I.e. chisels, scrapers, and the means to sharpen them. Start small and build a collection as you learn. Find a local club if you can and they will set you right on most things. Good luck and happy turning.

Not sure how much you know already if you are completely new to it. The above is all good advice but might not make sense if you don't know the meanings of some of the terms.

Most lathes allow you to tackle holding the workpiece in 2 different ways.

You can use a chuck (which physically grabs the workpiece) or a faceplate (where you might have to screw the workpiece on) and these both screw onto the screwthreaded part and typically allow you to hold the workpiece from one end.

Or if you are turning between centers (where the workpiece is held by both ends) you can just insert a drive centre into the hole in the headstock. This hole is tapered and is normally a Morse Taper (MT) and can be of different sizes. MT1 MT2 etc so you need to know which taper you have.

Turning between centres is the safest to learn, from my limited understanding, and the cheapest as a drive center is much cheaper than a chuck.

A chuck will allow you to do more in the future if you want to carve bowls etc and it allows you to hold it at only the one end.

Thank you for trying to help me. I’m from Northern Ireland and don’t know of any clubs. As a newbie as the true meaning, I know nothing. I’m taking all on board and will Google some of the things mentironed above, Thanks again

@Cookie1975
Don't want to sound like a party pooper, but if you're literally starting from zero, I'd recommend focusing on health & safety. Any machinery has its dangers, and a lathe can cause an accident quite easily if you don't know what you're doing.
I second the Rowley book, but I'd also just try and get as much info on H&S as you can.

The headstock thread on that Record lathe is 3/4 x 16 tpi......The part you removed is an adapter with a 3/4 x 16 tpi internal thread and a larger different external thread to allow the fitting of a different threaded chuck.

To keep things simple, I would suggest you look for a chuck that has the 3/4 x 16 tpi thread as these are commonly available.

The book by Keith Rowley is one of the best wood turning starter books and is what I bought when I first started turning....Highly recommended.👍

Record lathes (the older ones like yours) don't have a hole all the way through the headstock. That is why you need to screw on the thread protector before inserting a drive centre. The thread protector acts as a drive ejector when it's unscrewed.
For turning between centres you need a one morse taper (1MT or MT1) drive centre & a one morse taper live/(revolving) centre for the tail stock.
Woodturner's chucks are labeled as scroll or self centering. Beware of engineering or metal lathe chucks with stepped jaws or those classed as independent ie not self centering.
An old 2018 summary
- Woodturning Chucks - Some info for those new to the hobby

I started out with that model lathe and also the book Phil Pasco pointed out. A good starters combo.
Its a decent enough small lathe but you will need to get a spur drive for the headstock in No1 morse taper and a live center also in No1 morse to allow between center spindle turning.
A face plate that fits the 3/4x16tpi thread will allow you to do face plate turning. Small bowls and things like that. Later on you may like to fork out on a chuck that makes doing bowls and stuff a bit more convenient but its still worthwile to learn to use a faceplate.
You will also need a basic starters set of turning chisels and a method of sharpening them.
I would do a google search of woodturning clubs near me or even men's sheds as a bit of face to face learning will be quicker and safer than learning from youtube. They may also be able to point you in the direction of good deals on the rest of the gear you need. Those guys network.
Lastly welcome to turning.
Regards
John

Have a look on line for AWGB.co.uk
Association of Woodturners of Great Britain.
If you put your postcode in the search, it will tell you of clubs near you.
Wood turning societies are a great place to start, they usually have lessons for new turners on their own lathes and the more experienced turners mentor starters to get them safely started in the hobby.
They usually have sharpening jigs to get your chisels sharpened.
You definitely need a few bits to get you going and a club can point you to good used kit to start off with.
Good luck with your new lathe.

Thanks for all your help guys. I’ve ordered the book. I’m now going to search for a club near me. Also knowing it’s a mt1 is great knowledge . Thank you

I started out with that model lathe and also the book Phil Pasco pointed out. A good starters combo.
Its a decent enough small lathe but you will need to get a spur drive for the headstock in No1 morse taper and a live center also in No1 morse to allow between center spindle turning.
A face plate that fits the 3/4x16tpi thread will allow you to do face plate turning. Small bowls and things like that. Later on you may like to fork out on a chuck that makes doing bowls and stuff a bit more convenient but its still worthwile to learn to use a faceplate.
You will also need a basic starters set of turning chisels and a method of sharpening them.
I would do a google search of woodturning clubs near me or even men's sheds as a bit of face to face learning will be quicker and safer than learning from youtube. They may also be able to point you in the direction of good deals on the rest of the gear you need. Those guys network.
Lastly welcome to turning.
Regards
John
I have all the bits you have missing call me on 07711six0858three Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back