Record Power DML24X

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTay65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve recently been gifted a record dml24x lathe which has a drive centre fitted in the headstock which I’m unable to remove. It cannot be removed with a drift as there is a bearing fitted in the opposite end. Does anyone have any ideas as tried mole grips but appears solid. Thanks in advance.

I have the same lathe, it's a good piece of kit, I would try some penetrating oil like WD40 overnight and then try again next day, for this very reason I tend to put my drive centre into my chuck, you could try getting a nut that will fit the headstock threads which are 3/4 inch 16tpi if my memory is correct, then in future you can use that to push the drive centre out.

Thanks for quick response, will give it a try. Just sorting through box of bits and found the collar that should have been fitted to ease removal. Hopefully a bit more hammering will free it. 👍

When you try the penetrating oil, give some quick sharp taps around the edge of the drive centre, the sort-of-resonance might get things started. Not hard enough to bend anything.

Managed to release with a chisel and bigger hammer!! No damage done to spindle thankfully. Will definitely use the coller next time the drive centre gets fitted.
Thanks again for responses, much appreciated

Back