Record Power DML24X

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTay65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve recently been gifted a record dml24x lathe which has a drive centre fitted in the headstock which I’m unable to remove. It cannot be removed with a drift as there is a bearing fitted in the opposite end. Does anyone have any ideas as tried mole grips but appears solid. Thanks in advance.

I have the same lathe, it's a good piece of kit, I would try some penetrating oil like WD40 overnight and then try again next day, for this very reason I tend to put my drive centre into my chuck, you could try getting a nut that will fit the headstock threads which are 3/4 inch 16tpi if my memory is correct, then in future you can use that to push the drive centre out.

Thanks for quick response, will give it a try. Just sorting through box of bits and found the collar that should have been fitted to ease removal. Hopefully a bit more hammering will free it. 👍

When you try the penetrating oil, give some quick sharp taps around the edge of the drive centre, the sort-of-resonance might get things started. Not hard enough to bend anything.

Managed to release with a chisel and bigger hammer!! No damage done to spindle thankfully. Will definitely use the coller next time the drive centre gets fitted.
Thanks again for responses, much appreciated

Latest posts

Back