Shed treatment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
In the process of erecting flat-pack shed for storage of gardening stuff. Instructions say to paint with "oil based wood preservative". Any recommendations? Most stuff I can find seems to be water based these days.

light oak creosote ( or the modern day equivalent) better than all those water based nonsense. I would give it 2 or 3 coats then every year - large brush ,gloves and of course goggles . And off you go . Think the smell is like marmite. 👍👍

It's available from farm supplies. I would consider barn paint a good alternative being non toxic waterproof and durable btw. Check water doesn't bead up before coating.

Creocote is the accepted replacement for domestic use. Comes in at least two shades - light or dark(er) brown. The darker shade is closer to the original creosote; the lighter isn't that dark. Perhaps get a tank and try it on the shed where it won't be seen to determine if the final colour is OK.

I've used on short stakes partially buried in the ground to hold log roll in place; and those stakes have outlasted the log role (unless sed log roll was also treated with it - regardless of whether not sed rolls had already been given some form of preservative by manufacturers).

And a large cube shaped log store made from pallets, the sides of which were was treated with one (possibly two) of creocote, is still as sound etc. as the day I built it. No sign of rot etc.. The "roof/lid" was also treated but in addition has a laid on covering of roofing felt (an end of piece I had to hand).

Just wear decent gloes of course to protect one's nail varnish... and the brushes clean easily mit tuprps.

It doesn't take too long to dry...

Price on the big river company is sometimes cheaper than elsewhere - local stores, timber yard; but often not... so wise to check about for best price.

Oil based paints will eventually require serious recoating, and possibly some flaking may occur over time as well? Creocote just soaks in and that's it; though as with any wood preservative one will usually recoat after a few years.

Most stuff I can find seems to be water based these days.
That is how paint is these days but having used Valspar garden colours on a large shed some years ago I can say that it is fine providing that the timber is treated and not just sawn. If your flat pack shed is from the likes of B&Q then don't worry about the paint because any paint will outlast the shed.

I use 'Timbashield' from A-Chem which is available in a few colours but I mainly use the clear for outdoor wood and the red cedar one for my shed.

https://www.achemshop.co.uk/product-category/woodcare/timbashield/

It is a solvent based product so is a pleasure to use, I used to paint it on with a brush which works fine but now I spray it as it is a bit quicker to do. Being solvent based it doesn't sit and go off in the tub etc and is very easy to clean up with either white spirit or acetone. Dries in about an hour and shed remains waterproof for ages, I do my shed perhaps once every other year but I am very precious about it so you could do it a lot less.

Would highly reccomend it, can be found for about £25 a bottle. I use about 1/3 of a bottle for my 6x8 shed.

Back