Shed Felt (come off ) help!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greek Enigma

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi noticed the felt on the middle section of mums shed,
has completely come off in wind (its on the ground)
its still in good nick apart from a big rip (can it be repaired?)

or do i need to just go buy some new felt and pins and maybe felt stick stuff?

thanks

P.S WILL THE CHIPBOARD (i think the roof is chipboard) sorry woodwork not my thing :cry:

well its got very wet from all the rain today

will the chipboard roof be ok not felted until Saturday as cant do it till then?

thank-you all

Probably best to re-do the whole roof, if you have a Keyline or other builders merchant near you look for 'Marley roofing felt adhesive, and yep the timber will be ok 'til Saturday

good luck

Agree it's best to do the whole thing. trouble is that with time the felt moulds itself v closely to conform with the way it was laid....which means that torn or otherwise damaged it'll be v awkward to patch successfully.

Another feature of the felt moulding to the roof/location is that it also becomes more fragile (cos it hardens over time), and therefore tears more easily....so Plan A for the full replacement is the best option if you can.

SBO I know, but just in case....that chipboard roof panelling (and typical garden shed construction) will not bear much weight, so I'd seriously recommend you don't try to climb on or walk along it....well, you know what I mean!

Finally (ok, nearly finally), you don't need to remove all the old felt before laying the new felt.

Almost finally - you can also source an appropriate felt from pretty much any of the DIY sheds....but don't be tempted by the thinnest (they should have at least two grades, and possibly three), the thinnest stuff is really not worth it.

And now really finally....when you're fastening the bottom edge of the felt to the roof try and curve it around and under....emphasis on the curve, because if you try to fold it it will surprise you with just how quickly it can split (DAMHIKT)....curving it around might feel a bit awkward but it'll be an easier and better end result.

Good luck

as long as it's OSB you should be fine. Chip board roofing is not a good idea in general but that's something else.

you're best re felting. staple or pin down. if you have a heat gun or blow lamp, warm the felt. don't set it on fire. just warm it up a little. this helps to bond the felt which is bitumine based to the roof easier and give a better seal.

if the OSB is water logged it will need to be replaced. sorry but that's the fact of the matter lol

lew

hi everyone just got some felt off my gran lol :p :p :p
she had spare (must off been my grandads)
anyway the old ripped one is on the floor
shall i bin it
or put that back on and then the new one? (i think best to bin it)

anyway i think its common sense how to do it i dnt need instructions i dnt think

anyway might post pic when i do it

seeya

the only other thing I'd add would be to attempt to cover the exposed roof as much as possible between now and Sat just to minimise the damage to the exposed board from rain etc
Miles

Ok can i do this

ok basically i want to replace the top felt with new felt

then the other 2 that are on their leave them as pretty good

BUT! THEY HAVE VERY VERY SMALL HOLES AT BOTTOM

COULD I JUST SMOOTH THIS OVER THE HOLES? (http://www.shop4allsorts.co.uk/151-roof ... 1147-p.asp)

I KNOW 151 IS SUPPOSSED TO BE rubbish I THINK,JUST SPOTTED IT IN THE SHED SO THOUGHT HMMMMM

ANYWAY VERY BUSSY WITH ALL SORTS SO THURSDAY OR SATURDAY UNTILL I DO IT

thankyou

hi everyone...the weather is peeing me off i cnt get round to do it

or can i do it? (only havnt as thought the roof will be to wet from bad weather to cover...not dried out...
plus cold so thought felt might tear whilst fitting)

thanks for the help

but im just going to do the felt my own way

as really its just common sense (nail on/over lap)

and think where how rain will flow when fitting

P.S MIGHT BE WASTING MY TIME ANYWAY AS ITS HAD A BIG WATER PROB FOR SOME TIME

(BUT I THINK ITS FROM WATER GATHERING FROM BOTTOM) ILL POST PICS SOMETIME)

anyway i know felting a shed is easy (although never done it...it looks very simple)
i mostly posted thread to see if i had to paint that black paint under felt or not (the sticky stuff whatever its called)

THANKS

Back