sharpning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasdon79

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i have been turning for about a year and been using a bench grinder the time has come for a better sharping tool i'm in a bit of state do i have a tormek the wheels are very expensive and how long do they last. or a robert sorby pro edge can anyone help me thanks

No Allen have to admit I don't, I know it can work out expensive buying the extra jigs etc but I've always been happy with the tormek.

Steve :D

Steve Jones":21z5e9qr said:
No Allen have to admit I don't, I know it can work out expensive buying the extra jigs etc but I've always been happy with the tormek.

Steve :D

Steve

I have both , and for turning sharpening I now use the pro edge for

Speed of setting up
belts last a long while and are cheap compared with Tormek wheels

and most important of all , repeatability and accuracy when changing from one angle to another :wink:

Not got a Tormek - but watched demos and it looks very good at what it does - but slow ... and costly. I do chisels, plane blades, etc (and skew chisels) with scary-sharp, and the rest of my turning and some other tools with the pro-edge ... it's really good for scrapers, roughing and bowl gouges. Not cheap - but I already had bought some Sorby jigs - so for me it's been good value.

If I wasn't keen to chuck money around, if I had my time again, I'd think seriously about buying a dirt-cheap grinder (I had one and it was awful, hence the pro-edge "upgrade") but put a decent (blue or pink?) wheel on and get the tru-grind jig ... played with that and thought "if I hadn't already got ..."

Pro Edge here too.

When I started turning I went to a Sorby Roadshow and three elderly gentlemen advised me to buy it because they told me they had thousands of Pounds worth of sharpening systems between them and they all use the Pro Edge exclusively for sharpening now. It was expensive but I got super, consistent grinds right from the start.

I don't want to start a bevel war but I think the flat grind is easier to use.

Brendan

You wont find the pro edge or the tormek will give you a better edge over a decent wheel on a grinder.
Your tools will look shinier but you won't notice any difference in performance of the tool. I didnt anyhow.
Tormek is not the best set up for sharpening turning tools and your likely to end up wasting an expensive wheel by continuously wearing a groove in the centre (most people over sharpen). Also, tormek will take forever if you need to reshape a tool.
The pro edge is very fiddly to work with, at least I find it so, setting the angle of the rest with that horrible key thing Sorby use and changing the belts for sharpening/reshaping.
You might consider keeping your grinder and investing in a Wolverine system and a decent pink or blue wheel for sharpening and leave the grey wheel on the other side for reshaping.
Wolverine is easy, quick, and will give you repeatability of angle with ease.
regards, Bill

How about simply upgrading your grinding wheel to either a ruby or blue wheel - you will notice a big difference for modest outlay.

S

If you do go for the Tormek, this thread may be of interest. I had to modify my smaller tormek for it to be able grind and hone turning tools. As far as I'm aware, the grinding isn't an issue on the larger machine, but if you wish to hone your bevels, then you might need this modification.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36400

I've only been able to use my tools a couple of times since using the Tormek, but my edges have never been so sharp. The skew flies through the wood, and leaves a polished surface. I'm really impressed.

Cheers

Aled

beejay":20v7af5l said:
You wont find the pro edge or the tormek will give you a better edge over a decent wheel on a grinder.
Your tools will look shinier but you won't notice any difference in performance of the tool. I didnt anyhow.
Tormek is not the best set up for sharpening turning tools and your likely to end up wasting an expensive wheel by continuously wearing a groove in the centre (most people over sharpen). Also, tormek will take forever if you need to reshape a tool.
The pro edge is very fiddly to work with, at least I find it so, setting the angle of the rest with that horrible key thing Sorby use and changing the belts for sharpening/reshaping.
You might consider keeping your grinder and investing in a Wolverine system and a decent pink or blue wheel for sharpening and leave the grey wheel on the other side for reshaping.
Wolverine is easy, quick, and will give you repeatability of angle with ease.
regards, Bill

:shock: Pro Edge fiddly :? :-s

10 seconds to change a belt

20 seconds to change the platform angle :?

Its fast and accurate :p

Jasdon,

Dio you have a jig with your grinder ?

that might be a more suitable alternative ( plus cheaper ) than rushing out to get either a proedge or tormek,

And im sure someone here might have a Robert Sorby Jig to sell ?

Well, I suspect you're more confused than ever with all that input.
You could do what my dad did, he used the back door step for his sharpening. :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

John. B

PS
IMO. the pro edge is best for skews, the tormek is best for gouges and the high speed grinder is best for scrapers.
(Christmas list should read quite nicely)

I am now trying the new Tormek BGM100,dry grinder.
From what i've tried so far it is a lot faster to grind.
The stone on the wet Tormek just seems to be grinding away too quickly now.
Is there an harder stone/coating on the first 10mm or something as i was keeping it quite flat before.But now it does seem softer and gets grooves in too easily :?

Paul.J":1ul4du1e said:
I am now trying the new Tormek BGM100,dry grinder.
From what i've tried so far it is a lot faster to grind.
The stone on the wet Tormek just seems to be grinding away too quickly now.
Is there an harder stone/coating on the first 10mm or something as i was keeping it quite flat before.But now it does seem softer and gets grooves in too easily :?

Yep

one of these

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/grind/bluewheel1.htm

I have one on my Tormek

Thanks for that Allen,but i meant on the original stone that comes with the Tormek,as mine does seem a lot softer all of a sudden.Even dressing it seems a lot quicker :? :?:

Back