Sharpening wood turning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleemtaibjee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Please can you recommend the best system for sharpening chisels including a bowl gouge. There seem to be several wet stone sharpeners. I think one with a multi jig is necessary?

There is no best , All down to personal choice and budget
The wet stone systems are for sharpening a profile you have already established
Look at the Sorby pro edge system
Axminster tools ultimately edge system
Woodcut Tools Tru-Grind Sharpening System

Hi. Please can you recommend the best system for sharpening chisels including a bowl gouge. There seem to be several wet stone sharpeners. I think one with a multi jig is necessary?
Sanding disc on outboard end of headstock.

Sanding disc on outboard end of headstock.
Of course you can sharpen stuff on a disc on a lathe - I do it regularly. I could shapen stuff on a kerbstone, it doesn't make it the best. The OP asked which was the best, and that for gouges is not it. Any 6" or 8" grinder with a decent wheel and jig is the way to go, The Sorby 447 is as good as anything on the market, I've yet to meet a pro or semi pro turner who doesn't use one.

If you are just starting out and can afford it get the Sorby Pro Edge. You'll spend more time actually turning than learning the freehand methods

I have it and no regrets

I like the ProEdge too. It is simple and solid.
If bowls are going to be your thing, Look at the Oneway Wolverine jig for use with a bench grinder. Hope Woodturning import it.
A grinder is a cheaper way to start but if you get a strong one it can be switched up to CBN wheels in future which are low wear, long life but expensive.

I like the ProEdge too. It is simple and solid.
If bowls are going to be your thing, Look at the Oneway Wolverine jig for use with a bench grinder. Hope Woodturning import it.
A grinder is a cheaper way to start but if you get a strong one it can be switched up to CBN wheels in future which are low wear, long life but expensive.
I have the one way jig. Best jig in my opinion. And I started with a slow speed grinder, then slowly upgraded to cbn wheels. Buy them on sale! Cbn are expensive but they take hardly no steel off your expensive tools when sharpening. So cheaper in the long run. I sharpen on the 600 grit wheel .

Sounds like plenty if options. I think I need a specific jig for bowl jigs eg tormek svd-186. Not sure if the various jigs can be used regardless of the make if grinder? Not sure what is the sorry equivalent.

The Wolverine type set up is a very old idea that works. My first couple were made of wood many years before Wolverine created their version and I think the plans may have been from a woodturning magazine. A few years ago I made THIS TYPE when I got my cheap Aldi welder and although I previously said I only use a jig for bowl gouges I suppose the Wolverine system is a jig on its own. It's easy to make if you or a pal can weld. The bowl gouge jig is also easy to make or 3D print. Marius Hornberger's wooden VERSION is easy to follow and you can download the template. I have used the ProEdge and it is good but I think it's around £400. I had a Tormek system for around five years before selling the lot because I developed the skills to sharpen all my tools by hand and found I no longer needed it.

Until and unless you learn freehand, you do need a jig (jogs) for sharpening bowl gouges.
Tormek invented some good ones, Sorby licenced theirs from Tormek but the the Sorby ones are subtly different and they are not interchageable between the two.
You can get the Sorby ProEdge (a solidly made belt linisher) or the Sorby bracketry that lets their jigs be used with a normal bench grinder. Sorby jigs work on both of these systems.

The Wolverine is a well made and adjustable version of something that can be DIYed using a bit of wood, a bit of bent metal rod and a bolt.

Back