Sharpening system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aled Dafis":1slvhktt said:
Olly, what abrasives do you use? I'm considering using the 3M sheets from Workshopheaven, but haven't yet found the time to try them.

Hi Aled,

Well, I did buy some dirt-cheap Silverline ones (red, aluminium oxide) from Amazon. They're fine for the old, thinner steel and most chisels (although they do seem to spark a bit more) but, with modern A2, O1 etc., I find they lose their edge too quickly. So, I'm still looking for the best solution for regrinding, say, a 25° primary bevel on a 2in wide plane iron. :(

CSM Abrasives sell silicon carbide discs in 80g though, I fear they might have a minimum order quantity of 25... You could could the Workshop Heaven sheets to size no problem. But still, they aren't coarse enough for heavy grinding.

I might also try contacting Norton UK to see whether they can supply (as they're the ones who make the supplied discs).

I use the Hermes self adhesive 150 mm discs from Axminster.
There are available in 7 grids from P40-180.
They are not superior but the are cheap and can easily be replaced.

OPJ":2r5dafon said:
Aled Dafis":2r5dafon said:
Olly, what abrasives do you use? I'm considering using the 3M sheets from Workshopheaven, but haven't yet found the time to try them.

Hi Aled,

Well, I did buy some dirt-cheap Silverline ones (red, aluminium oxide) from Amazon. They're fine for the old, thinner steel and most chisels (although they do seem to spark a bit more) but, with modern A2, O1 etc., I find they lose their edge too quickly. So, I'm still looking for the best solution for regrinding, say, a 25° primary bevel on a 2in wide plane iron. :(

CSM Abrasives sell silicon carbide discs in 80g though, I fear they might have a minimum order quantity of 25... You could could the Workshop Heaven sheets to size no problem. But still, they aren't coarse enough for heavy grinding.

I might also try contacting Norton UK to see whether they can supply (as they're the ones who make the supplied discs).

Why do you need to regrind? You must stop dropping your chisels on concrete :wink:

RogerS":168zo8p3 said:
Why do you need to regrind? You must stop dropping your chisels on concrete :wink:
Agree.
If you use my method you never need to regrind in the lifetime of a tool, except to rectify damage.

I have the veritas sharpening system which is like the worksharp one. I buy the abrasives in sheets from fibre optic polishing sites thaey come on a A4 sheet and you just cut to size. They are a bit cheaper than the other sites listed above and you can get very fine abrasives.
Just search 3m fibre optic polishing and there are some good sites.
Owen

Latest posts

Back