Sharpening system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorlarf

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying one of the following & was wondering if anyone had any advice budget is about £160ish
One
Two
Or Recommend some thing else?

Each of those two options will grind the primary bevel so an additional system would need to be considered to hone the secondary bevel. I use a Tormek for grinding the primary bevel and the 3M papers from Workshop Heaven to hone the secondary - Rob

Sharpening is not a cheap investment but a worthwhile one. So even though one of these machines will not do it all, i don't see that as an a issue. As long as you are making an investment towards a complete system you are making steps forward.

I don't know what the quality of any of these machines are though. The thing to look for though is good baring, and a solid bar that has no flex in it. I bought a cheaper machine from axminster and the bar flexes so there is no point to it at all. I've never touched the tormek to see just how solid the bar is, but the things it totes to do must mean it is good. Check one out and if you can even use one to see you will know what you are looking for when you look at cheaper models of the same idea.

As others have said though, it is not a complete system. secondary bevels and flattening the backs are still important aspects of sharpening. The scary sharp system is what i use and works well, for my bevels i use a cheap grinder i got off e-bay. bell sumthing or other sharp all. It has a small wheel and does perfect bevels.

I did look at the video on that worksharp system and it does look pretty good and might be something worth looking into if you are starting from scratch.

It also depends on whether you want to actually do any woodworking or want to spend the rest of your life gazing at your reflection on the backside of a chisel that you've spent all morning sharpening.

I've tried them all. Scary sharp. Waterstones. Wet grinders....like Tormek, Scheppach, Dakota. But for me, I just want to get on and make something. The WorkSharp was the answer to my prayers and I sold all the rest.

But we've talked about sharpening ad nauseam. It's another one of those topics that will have exponents, acolytes and born-again rounded-bevel-grinders in a lather.

Agree with Roger. I've used the lot over the years, wetstones, hand turned wet wheels, grinders, scary sharp (in fact the only generic system I can't remember trying isTtomek). Then I got a Worksharp. Simple and quick. Single of multiple bevels. Jigs or hand. Just buy enough wheels so as not to have to faff about constantly changing grit sizes (obviously this can be done over time).

RogerS":1c1n7kee said:
But we've talked about sharpening ad nauseam. It's another one of those topics that will have exponents, acolytes and born-again rounded-bevel-grinders in a lather.
:lol:
One has to consider all the options!
The freehand option is cheapest and quickest. One double sided stone will last a lifetime. All that is then needed is a supply of oil and old rags.
This will do for all straight edges, (planes , chisels) but can be refined with the addition of a finer stone perhaps. Actually I've got 3, but more by chance than choice.
Gouges, turning tools, require more kit of course.

I have a Tormek, which does a good job, but have come to realise that I also need a diamond stone and a honing guide to do that last bit of work and reliably flatten backs.

Chems":awji7waq said:
I have a Tormek, which does a good job, but have come to realise that I also need a diamond stone and a honing guide to do that last bit of work and reliably flatten backs.

That's where the WorkSharp scores over the Tormek/Tiger/etc machines.

Majorlarf":2p0nv4wu said:
I am thinking of buying one of the following & was wondering if anyone had any advice budget is about £160ish
One
Two
Or Recommend some thing else?

Simple- Buy the worksharp. It is superb and by far the quickest sharpening method i have come across (Including free hand sharpening). I honestly do not believe that any profesional woodworker who used one would not buy it. It is that good IMO.

Yep, wot they said! :D

The only negative I have against the Work Sharp 3000 (three-months on) is that the supplied discs (120g and above) aren't coarse enough for heavy grinding. You can buy £20 packs from Rutlands with an extra glass disc or, make a new disc from MDF and buy self-adhesive sheets from elsewhere... :wink:

I went for the worksharp, was a bit disappointed that I had to pay and extra 60.00 for the 3" blade jig - but it works a treat

John

+1 for the Worksharp, it's quick and repeatable, what more could you ask for? I got the leather honing disk free on an offer from Rutlands, and it really gives an edge that easily shaves hair

As regards the 3" blade jig, I just use a £5 Eclipse type jig, and register it against the cross bar above the spinning disk, a little extra pressure on the edges of plane blades gives a slight camber, much cheaper than the dedicated add on. (sorry John :wink: )

Cheers

Aled

OPJ":xe984tch said:
You can buy £20 packs from Rutlands with an extra glass disc or, make a new disc from MDF and buy self-adhesive sheets from elsewhere... :wink:

Olly, what abrasives do you use? I'm considering using the 3M sheets from Workshopheaven, but haven't yet found the time to try them.

Cheers

Aled

I think I will be purchasing the worksharp as this is a gift from my work colleages as I am leaving plus a joint belated birthday present from my wife.
The reason of opting for a machine is I am just no good at sharpening by hand tried the eclipse honing guide & I also have the trend sharpening jig which i will probably use to just resharpen the blade while at work until I get home to re-hone.

For honing turning tools (once they're set to prefered shape) I tend to use a cheap pack of adhesive discs from Machine Mart. You've only to cut the disc to allow the screw to fit through the hole in the Worksharp plate

Majorlarf":2iup8oos said:
I think I will be purchasing the worksharp as this is a gift from my work colleages as I am leaving plus a joint belated birthday present from my wife.
The reason of opting for a machine is I am just no good at sharpening by hand tried the eclipse honing guide & I also have the trend sharpening jig which i will probably use to just resharpen the blade while at work until I get home to re-hone.
If you want to hand hone its a lot easier without a jig, once you have got the knack, doesn't take long.

Aled Dafis":14egjlg0 said:
I'm considering using the 3M sheets from Workshopheaven, but haven't yet found the time to try them.

Cheers

Aled
Aled...I use the 3M sheets and have found them excellent, but make sure you get the self-adhesive ones - Rob

Back