Seals for boarded door with 4 centre arch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
There are 4 parts to this question, as there are two similar shaped but different spec'd doors. Here is the door:

FeMRvfd.jpg

The outer door (shown in the above drawing) is ledged and boarded, and the door follows the shape of the arched head. I need a suitable level access threshold arrangement for such a door (I'll use a weatherbar to help with that detail). The edge seals along the straight bits are easy, but how do I cut a 2.5mm slot into a curved spandrel, and how do I deal with the short grain issues? I can't even think of a scratch-stock that would work for the job in oak.

The inner door is much chunkier (nearly 75mm thick), so I don't have the same problem at the bottom edge (where I also need a level access threshold seal), but I do have similar issues to the outer door at the arched head. Both inner and outer doors open in.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Is the curved spandrel in position or is it still on the bench?

Hand tool methods include a really skinny but deep chisel. If you can't find a new one you could grind down the tip of an old one. Mark out with a mortice gauge or ordinary marking gauge twice.
Another approach would be a hand held electric router freehand with a fence. You could use a small straight cutter or turn round 90 degrees and use a slot cutter. Maybe a biscuit jointer would be the right size?

Or for a left-field approach there was a wacky device called a Tek-tool which would do it.

There's an episode of the Woodwright's Shop on curved panel doors and Roy uses a 72 hand router to mark out the grooves.

Can you clarify which plane the groove needs to be in? Parallel to the door or at right angles to it?

The spandrels are still sitting outside in the form of a 12x4x8' beam.

I can't see a slot cutter working at all. As the router goes around the curve the slot will get wider and wider. 2.5mm straight cutter, in oak? Wow, that's asking a lot, but I guess it's just about possible (there might be a bit of smoke!). 2.5mm chisel? That's called a bradawl, isn't it? :)

I'm really confused now. Could you do a sketch showing the curved piece and which way the groove goes?
Also the dimensions - I was assuming 2.5mm is the width but you don't say what the depth is.

Something like this ?
adcc5d5d88806e38ff71f65f38c000e0.jpg

Is the main problem the narrow groove ?
I've done it before using just the tip of a draughtstrip cutter, spindle moulder or router bit
3227e01475d7bbddde599498273ae0e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I imagine the depth would be 3 to 5 mm, depending on the chosen seal.

The seal would have to fit into the back face of the stop/ spandrel (ie squeezed between the door and the stop), rather than on the door posts.

If the slot is in the back of the panel, why not make a guide template out of 6mm ply and then use a 2.5mm straight cutter and a guide bush.
Ian

If you were to join the front face of the frame with the back as per the sketch, you could just use a bearing guided rebate cutter before joining the two halves together (hidden joint aswell) Instead of forming a splitty chattery short grained rebate with some kind of cutter, you could just cut the shapes out on a bandsaw then stick em together.

An inner frame would look really pretty [WINKING FACE]

Imgur still not working, so let's see if this works. This is a horizontal section through the door post, stop, and door (outside door).

Attachments

• door seal.jpg
    door seal.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 73
This is a daft question, but could the door be square on the top, with those curvey bits of the frame forming the shape on the outside ? Personally I'd sooner have a rebate in the chunk of oak then a pinned on stop.

Edit- bit like this
db20c5b2fcc0bf91b79bc123f0be865a.jpg

Fair enough, just thought it'd save you having to make finickity curvy stops.

I guess there's no reason you couldn't stick an inside board on the top to form a rebate - it'd also allow you to keep the nice shaped top.

297c07ac620d592fcde320d15e0e65f3.jpg

83e7e1684cfc758213703f33556c5cb5.jpg

MikeG.":3tznssm7 said:
Imgur is on the blink. I'll load a drawing when I can.

Panel, Hornbeam? What panel?
. The arched rail across the top of the door frame. Cut a template similar shape but shifted upwards and then use this to guide guide bush in a router with 2.5mm bit.

Ian

ColeyS1":1e14xnb5 said:
I guess there's no reason you couldn't stick an inside board on the top to form a rebate - it'd also allow you to keep the nice shaped top.

297c07ac620d592fcde320d15e0e65f3.jpg

83e7e1684cfc758213703f33556c5cb5.jpg

Well physically that's do-able, but the aesthetics are of chunky lumps of oak with pegs, so I'm reluctant.

Back