Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew all those boxes of slotted wood screws (Steel and brass) in the shed will be worth money some day :D

Pete

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I still prefer screws described as no 8 X 1-1/2, no 6 X 3/4, no 12 X 2-1/2, etc. I can't really explain it as I work in metric 95% (or more) of the time, but I have the ability to dodge comfortably between metric and Imperial, eg, metre and foot lengths, millimetres and inches, and even conversions between area and volume from metric to Imperial and vice versa. Slainte.

Massive thanks for all of your input!

Many years a go we did offer a very good range of slotted brass/steel screws but they became very lower sellers and unviable to stock in the end. If the demand is here though we may look to ofer a range of slotted steel from our new supplier.

Regards, Richard.

Cheshirechappie":36bp1i9w said:
Provided it accurately describes what's in the packet, I don't think the order matters very much.

How about a range of 'proper' screws - brass countersunk slotted, say number 2 to number 12, 1/2" to 3" or thereabouts. Some of us finicky old grumps hate to see those horrible crosspoint screwheads fixing hardware on decent furniture. They're OK for holding plasterboard to studding, but they shouldn't be allowed near quality work.
When my previous boss made a piece for Linley as a 'tester', he buried some Pozidrive screws right up inside in deep counterbored holes. When the job was examined by one of Linley's blokes, he found the offending screws, turned round to him and said that..."he would be using proper brass screws on future pieces, wouldn't he?" Boss suitably embarrassed :oops: and no more Pozis were ever used - Rob

4 x 40 for me as well. Ideally, when they are listed, they might as well be listed sequencially.

Regards

Logos

Latest posts

Back