USA Dust Extractor Running On A Step Down Transformer In UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone has offered me a dust extractor made in USA that runs on 120V/60Hz. I asked the manufacturer what the the power requirements were for it.
They said, requires 12 amps or 1440 watts. I'd like to know, if this step down transformer would be suitable to run the dust extractor?
Ebay UK item number 374081460341
" 3000W Voltage Converter Transformer Heavy Duty 220V-110V 110V-220V Step Up/Down."
" it’s recommended by the manufacturer that the voltage transformer’s maximum power should be equal or greater than the power rating of your appliance multiplied by 2. For example, if you have an appliance rated at 100 watts, you will need to pick a transformer with a maximum power of 200 watts or greater.
(The power of our transformer must be 2 times larger than the buyer's appliance to be used normally.)
The plug can plug into 110v and 220v AC Mains,please select correct input voltage before you plug it into the Mains. "
Cheers.

The transformer will work and the power rating looks OK. The issue is the difference in frequency. The effect this has depends on the motor type. It may run slower, consume more current and run hotter. What sort of motor does it have?

Transformers aren't typically rated with powering up induction motors in mind. The advice to buy (at least) twice the rating you think you need maybe where that's coming from.
It may also be a recognition that many power converter transformers are cheaply made and will overheat, so shouldn't be run for longer than 15/30/60 minutes then left to cool down.
So maybe the safety margin should be 3 or 4x ?
Another choice is to use a 240v to 110v "site transformer" which is similar, but those are usually better built than a converter sold for domestic appliances. You should still buy bigger as those aren't intended for the type of motor in a dust extractor either.

The better way would be to use a 1.5 or 2kw rated Variable Frequency Drive (vfd) for the job. This can be programmed to reduce the voltage and increase the frequency, and will probably be cheaper as well as better.
But you will need to get competent help to buy this and fit it. It is not a plug and play solution. It needs to be permanently wired in.

Sideways is right, I've tried both ways (lived in the UK , now in Canada) and it's hard to find a transformer that will cope with induction motors, or the power requirements you'd have.

Unless it's an insanely good deal, id probably not bother as you will end up spending and wasting more money than buying a 240v equivalent

Transformers aren't typically rated with powering up induction motors in mind. The advice to buy (at least) twice the rating you think you need maybe where that's coming from.
It may also be a recognition that many power converter transformers are cheaply made and will overheat, so shouldn't be run for longer than 15/30/60 minutes then left to cool down.
So maybe the safety margin should be 3 or 4x ?
Another choice is to use a 240v to 110v "site transformer" which is similar, but those are usually better built than a converter sold for domestic appliances. You should still buy bigger as those aren't intended for the type of motor in a dust extractor either.

The better way would be to use a 1.5 or 2kw rated Variable Frequency Drive (vfd) for the job. This can be programmed to reduce the voltage and increase the frequency, and will probably be cheaper as well as better.
But you will need to get competent help to buy this and fit it. It is not a plug and play solution. It needs to be permanently wired in.
" 2kw rated Variable Frequency Drive (vfd " This would be sufficient to run it? " " But you will need to get competent help to buy this and fit it. " Can you explain?

Someone has offered me a dust extractor made in USA that runs on 120V/60Hz. I asked the manufacturer what the the power requirements were for it.
They said, requires 12 amps or 1440 watts. I'd like to know, if this step down transformer would be suitable to run the dust extractor?
Ebay UK item number 374081460341
" 3000W Voltage Converter Transformer Heavy Duty 220V-110V 110V-220V Step Up/Down."
" it’s recommended by the manufacturer that the voltage transformer’s maximum power should be equal or greater than the power rating of your appliance multiplied by 2. For example, if you have an appliance rated at 100 watts, you will need to pick a transformer with a maximum power of 200 watts or greater.
(The power of our transformer must be 2 times larger than the buyer's appliance to be used normally.)
The plug can plug into 110v and 220v AC Mains,please select correct input voltage before you plug it into the Mains. "
Cheers.
Post a pickie of it up on here, to see if motor could be swapped out.

Back