Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard@Axminster

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

Here at Axminster we are currently reviewing the way we advertise our screws and would like your input. When buying screws would you prefer to see them listed as... for example, 4mm x 40mm or 40mm x 4mm? Would you also like to see the screw gauge written on the box?

If you have any other suggestions or recommendations please feel free to leave your comments.

Regards,

Richard.

I don’t wish to complicate the issue, but I usually determine fixings by their type first, Steel, Brass, CS, RH etc. then by length, then by gauge.
What is important is that, whatever is decided, it is consistent.

Dodge":xanyk0be said:
4 x 40 for me
+3...I haven't had a look at the listings for screws for a while, but a decent selection of good quality small brass slotted screws and their steel equivalents would be very useful, it's the sort of thing you need for making boxes - Rob

4+, its the way everybody else lists metric woodscrews so why change things.

Don't see the need for a gauge size next to each item, maybe just a metric /gauge conversion table at the beginning of the screw section for those that don't know whats what.

J

+5. And please list them sequentially i.e. all the 3.5 x XX sizes, then all the 4.0 x XX, 4.5 x XX etc.. etc.. I gave up buying from Screwfix 'cos all the sizes were jumbled together and it just took too long to put an order together. Thanks.

jasonB":2gqv9fu1 said:
4+, its the way everybody else lists metric woodscrews so why change things.

Don't see the need for a gauge size next to each item, maybe just a metric /gauge conversion table at the beginning of the screw section for those that don't know whats what.

J
Yeah, that's me. I still cant get the hang of this metric stuff for screws. I am used to 10g, 8g, 6g, ETC. I always have to look up the size unless I already have a box to read the metric size off. Old school me and proud of it. :lol:

+1 from me
but can you also ....if you dont already :oops:
say what the screwdriver bit would be ....i.e. slotted, pozi drive (various)sizes

Obviously not as effective for online purchasing, but a full scale print on a page of the catalogue might be a good idea, for gauge/diameter, anyway?

Provided it accurately describes what's in the packet, I don't think the order matters very much.

How about a range of 'proper' screws - brass countersunk slotted, say number 2 to number 12, 1/2" to 3" or thereabouts. Some of us finicky old grumps hate to see those horrible crosspoint screwheads fixing hardware on decent furniture. They're OK for holding plasterboard to studding, but they shouldn't be allowed near quality work.

Richard@Axminster":1s7wt8s3 said:
If you have any other suggestions or recommendations please feel free to leave your comments.

Regards,

Richard.

I'd like to see a supply of traditional steel CSK slotted woodscrews. Apparently no one in the world makes them anymore :? Whats happened to the screw making machines that used to make them?? Brass slots are still available why can't these make steel screws? You could double the standard price of steel slotted screws and you'd still sell them....

Just to be different then :lol: I always look for screw length first and then often don't care (within reason) what diameter :duno:

Cheers, Paul

Back