Schwarz / Moxon(ish) Record 53 clone vice modification WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually rather like this. It would be quieter and a little quicker. I think you'd be able to add more than enough torque to get excellent grip. If I had your skill working metal I'd be very tempted to try this out.

Excellent value vice too! I opted for a second hand Woden on my current project, it was £25.00 but the postage was another £12.00.

I think a quick release vice in this style has to be a contender for best all round choice for any workbench.

G S Haydon":1pmmdhqe said:
I actually rather like this. It would be quieter and a little quicker. I think you'd be able to add more than enough torque to get excellent grip. If I had your skill working metal I'd be very tempted to try this out.

Excellent value vice too! I opted for a second hand Woden on my current project, it was £25.00 but the postage was another £12.00.

I think a quick release vice in this style has to be a contender for best all round choice for any workbench.

Wee tip for users of vices with tommy bars - a couple of thick elastic bands applied to the tommy bar just under the end knobs cushion the 'drop' of the bar into the screw-end. The bands perish, so need replacing every 12 months or so - but if you salvage the ones postmen seem to drop in profusion, the cost is zero and peace decends on the workshop!

+1 for quick-release Record type vices as best all-rounder. You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable vice over the long term.

If in rural area, castration rings make cheap alternatives to elastic bands.

Also good to stop pins falling out of heavyweight T bar clamps.

David

Hi Pedder

Here is one link: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workb ... oor-french

Here the relevant part is:

"We use these presses on the workbench with the rip tip, either for work or work to stick. In one or other of these different cases, we stop the press on the bench with two (holdfasts so) that it (will not move)."

Illustration of my Moxon vise ...

IDeclareThisBenchFinished_html_m3a7674d0.jpg

And another: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw ... moxon-vise

In the last link, CS wrote this:

7. Why do you call it the ‘Moxon vise?’

Double-screw vises have been invented and re-invented many times during the last 400 years. You can call them whatever you please. When I finally figured out the vise for myself, I was reading Moxon’s description of it. So that is the name I gave it. Feel free to call yours “Randle,” “Andre” or “Tipplewait.” The name is insignificant compared to what it can do to help you cut joinery.

— Christopher Schwarz

Regards from Perth

Derek

Workmate by Moxon.

Bod
(Who has his coat on and is leaving the building)

For the Doubting-Thomas's of wheel modified face vices, here's all three finished together.

All in, these took about 35 minutes each to retrofit with a grand total of £51 per vice (£36 for the vice and £15 for the wheel). Lot of clamping capacity for little outlay.

Can I ask what you mean by interference fitting the wheels? Sorry if it's a daft question. I'm looking at options on fitting a leg vice with a wheel on the cheap and any knowledge is a bonus. Like the finished product BTW. Cheers.
Chris

Bm101":vy8jroht said:
Can I ask what you mean by interference fitting the wheels? Sorry if it's a daft question. I'm looking at options on fitting a leg vice with a wheel on the cheap and any knowledge is a bonus. Like the finished product BTW. Cheers.
Chris

Hi Chris, effectively the shaft is slightly larger than the hole. It is the friction that keeps them together.

The best example I can give (although very slightly different) is a morse taper. It is the friction that holds it there despite no actual fastener.

Thank you. I'd always prefer to display my ignorance and learn than remain ignorant. Although to be honest it's a running battle. :D

Oh yes that is certainly cool! Would indeed look great on a pianomakers bench. The wheels are polished I think, not chromed?

Corneel":18smpyc4 said:
Oh yes that is certainly cool! Would indeed look great on a pianomakers bench. The wheels are polished I think, not chromed?

Cheers Derek and Corneel.

The wheels are alloy and actually came delivered polished. I'd certainly recommend the company that supplied the wheels, they responded quickly to requests and delivered in a few days. I've bought a few others from them to replace the cheap nylon hand wheels they usually fit to some machinery.

Back