Jammed Record 53E vice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record 53E vice - the quick release type - which has jammed up. I had (perhaps foolishly) clamped some work at one end of the vice without a compensating piece at the other end to keep the jaws parallel. When I tried to release the work the screw just clicked (ratchet mechanism) and the quick release did nothing either. I got the work out (with a crowbar) , but still the vice is stuck - I can wind it in (very stiff) but not out.
I'm sure I can fix it by dismounting the vice from the bench and taking it to bits, but that will be a PITA. I'm wondering if it's something that sometimes happens with these vices and there's an easier way - like hitting it with a mallet in the right place perhaps? I assume that the rods which hold the front jaw are binding in their bearings because of the asymmetric stress.

Bob.

I can't say as I've ever heard of a problem of this magnitude before Bob.
Have you, I wonder, had issues winding it in previously?
Has it recently been dismantled and rebuilt?
My first guess would be that the end plate at the back of the vice has possibly been put back on upside down.
Cheers, Andy

My first guess would be that the end plate at the back of the vice has possibly been put back on upside down.
Cheers, Andy
Thanks for reply Andy. I stripped/rebuilt the vice when I bought it (about 4 years ago) and since then it has been working perfectly well.
It turned out that dismounting the vice from the bench wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though I had forgotten how heavy it is (~17kg)! When I got it on top of the bench the problem just went away, so it's a bit of a mystery. If it reappears when I remount it I suppose I'll have to conclude that something in the bench moved and strained the vice casting.
Regards, Bob.

Cheers, Andy
funny you should mention the end plate upside down.. thats what was making mine hard to open after I put it back on the wrong way up.. found it strange they didn't design it to work both ways

I had one which jammed. Took it apart and put it back together and was fine. Not sure exactly what was wrong but it must have been something simple!

I have a Record 53E vice - the quick release type - which has jammed up. I had (perhaps foolishly) clamped some work at one end of the vice without a compensating piece at the other end to keep the jaws parallel. When I tried to release the work the screw just clicked (ratchet mechanism) and the quick release did nothing either. I got the work out (with a crowbar) , but still the vice is stuck - I can wind it in (very stiff) but not out.
I'm sure I can fix it by dismounting the vice from the bench and taking it to bits, but that will be a PITA. I'm wondering if it's something that sometimes happens with these vices and there's an easier way - like hitting it with a mallet in the right place perhaps? I assume that the rods which hold the front jaw are binding in their bearings because of the asymmetric stress.

Bob.
Mine did exactly the same yesterday & was cured by removing, cleaning & lubricating with GT85.

Back