Record 52 1/2E vice overhaul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold_bantam

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Record 52 1/2E vice which I'm nearly ready to install. It's in very good condition I think and quite clean. It has clearly had grease put on the thread and the quick release bar in the past, and this has dried on now. It seems to have a smooth action and the QR works.

My question is should I take it apart and clean it up now before installing it? Do these vices just work forever and never need maintenance? I have been accused in the past of 'if it ain't broken don't fix it'.

Will regular application of oil soften up the grease?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_190541.jpg
    IMG_20230725_190541.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
for heavy, thick but dried on grease.....
diesel soaked rags around the greased parts......then put the whole lot in a plastic bag for a few day's week.....
this will soften it easily.....perhaps get the big lumps of first.....
BUT....please store outside away from anything combustable.....
these hot days....u never know....
because I do this soaking reg I have various cutdown oil drums....the D fuel is strained and reused.....
great for siezed/stuck up tractor engines.... just take ur time.....there's always other things to do....

for heavy, thick but dried on grease.....
diesel soaked rags around the greased parts......then put the whole lot in a plastic bag for a few day's week.....
this will soften it easily.....perhaps get the big lumps of first.....
BUT....please store outside away from anything combustable.....
these hot days....u never know....
because I do this soaking reg I have various cutdown oil drums....the D fuel is strained and reused.....
great for siezed/stuck up tractor engines.... just take ur time.....there's always other things to do....
Thank you, this is good to know for the future.

Like Phil said it looks in pretty good condition. If it works ok then nothing more than oil and a brush to clean off the thread. To dissolve grease any light oil should do the trick as will turps, white spirit,wd40 plus a few other things.
Regards
John

Back