Record 52 1/2 Vice - Part spec required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasterbyelan

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm restoring an unused but rusty Record 52 1/2 vice, it's the one designed in the 1940s. The quick-release bar fixing screw is seized and I will need to drill it out if I'm to remove the various associated parts for cleaning (but will need a new one prior to doing so). Does anyone know the size of this screw?

Thank you,

Karl

Attachments

• Vices Crop.png
    Vices Crop.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I think its 3/16 Whitworth from memory....?
There are quite a few suppliers in the UK that sell spares for Record vices, just have a search via Google and I'm sure you'll find out for certain what the size is...👍

I have a 52 1/2 that dates from the early 1930's and I'm sure it has a 3/16 BSW screw.

I’m sure if you wire brush that soak it in a solvent of your choice then warm it with a blowtorch a good screwdriver will have that out

Ian

Have tried both...........

Thanks for your comments. I did give the screw another WD40/blow torch cycle and this proved successful so I have not only fully stripped the vice but completed its cleaning and re-assemble. Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg