Record vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Quick question about the Record 55 (I've just inherited one). I need to clean it up but it isn't fully functioning. When I open the vice, the screw turns properly but the metal vice doesn't move unless I pull it out. I expected to find a hole in the thread to fit a washer and cotter pin between the two jaws, but there is no hole. What am I missing here? Many thanks.
If it's like all the others the cotter pin is at the far end from the handle, bearing on to a brass washer and an endplate with 3 holes - one for the screw and two for the bars.
You can see it here:
Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 16.11.11.png

Hi My set up is a bit extreme, but I wish I had done it years ago, as it's such a joy to use I encased my vice entirely as I'm not keen on metal surfaces on my bench. My jaw is oak, but has a soft leather facing. It's 2ft long with a timber support strut running through the apron. I have sacrificial oak slips at the top which can be unscrewed and replaced as the very top of the jaws always seem to get chewed up over time. Oh, and before anyone says anything, yes, I'm a left handed devil worshiper.

Attachments

• DSCN9678.JPG
    DSCN9678.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN9671 (1).JPG
    DSCN9671 (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN9673 (1).JPG
    DSCN9673 (1).JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN9681 (1).JPG
    DSCN9681 (1).JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
I’ve had the same ply in my record 52 for over 10 years and it’s still as good as the day it went in.

I quite like beech for this job - in fact I also have a small hobby type vice and stole a straight bit of Brio track out of the toy box, did the job no hassle but don't tell anyone (he has loads and one section wasn't missed.

One thing I haven’t seen you fellows mention is the ability to put a tiny bit of pinch in the wood jaws. It makes everyday work so much easier. American hard maple on maple. About thirty years on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
One thing I haven’t seen you fellows mention is the ability to put a tiny bit of pinch in the wood jaws. It makes everyday work so much easier. American hard maple on maple. About thirty years on it.
absolutely right, and a most unusual jaw face! Like the carved ends. The good thing about most Record and Yost vices is an inbuilt pinch, so all you need is a parallel face.

Latest posts

Back