Record 52 1/2 quick-release issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this should be elsewhere, but my vice is being annoying.

It clamps up fine, but when you then try to unwind it, the mechanism just "clacks", and I have to depress the quick-release and force it open.

I already dismantled it and cleaned out the tons of gunk fouling the threads on the plate that sits on top of the long screw.

I suspect the spring that should be holding the mechanism tight against the screw is no longer strong enough for the task, so it just hops up and down. Has anyone had any success in re-tensioning? Or are replacements available?

Thanks!

Assuming all is correctly assembled, and clean.
The fault must be with the quick release spring not being adjusted correctly or broken.
When the half nut is removed, the jaws slide freely, no rust on the slider rods?

Bod

Hi, the 52 1/2 that I refurbished that I used on my workbench build had this issue (Link in my signature below). If I remember rightly, I made the spring tighter so it held tighter than it was to the screw. I had to do it very carefully (so it didn't break).

Regards... Rob

Hi, the 52 1/2 that I refurbished that I used on my workbench build had this issue (Link in my signature below). If I remember rightly, I made the spring tighter so it held tighter than it was to the screw. I had to do it very carefully (so it didn't break).

Regards... Rob

Thanks all.

Rob - great. I guessed this would have to be the route I take, but wanted to check others had successfully adjusted them, and that I wasn;t just going to trash it.

Ta!

The spring on the quick release needs adjusting and a clean.
The half nut will like a bit of tlc as well.

I already dismantled it and cleaned out the tons of gunk fouling the threads on the plate that sits on top of the long screw.
I had this problem and it was related to the plate mentioned above. Is yours flat with indents for the bars, or is it a casting with sockets for the bars?

Having taught in schools for 40 years the most common problem I encountered was that the fixed jaw of the vice had cracked. Even when removed from the bench cracks are difficult to spot so I used to use chalk powder (from a chalk line) and rub this over the casting - any cracks soon become visible. Whilst some of the jaws were repairable by cast welding the simplest by far is to replace the jaw.

Back