Sawhorses - post a picture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm looking for good saw horse plans - I have found loads on the net but with so many to choose from can anybody recommend what they use? If a few pictures could be posted it would be really helpful

Thanks

Matt

3322479054_2039f94388.jpg

This could be a dull thread!!!!! :D

Mike

I have not had time to take a photo but I have a couple of the steel roller stands.

I also have a very nice Makita C/Saw with several carbide tips missing! :oops: :oops:

Simon.

Mike Garnham":33ws0b5s said:
3322479054_2039f94388.jpg

This could be a dull thread!!!!! :D

Mike

Mike, how wide are the tops those? my old ones had 10" wide tops, :oops: they where a little to heavy. i could do with making some new ones this week.

John

I made a couple of Norm designed ones - built like tanks - should last me out?

Rod

jhwbigley":3l0cv550 said:
Mike, how wide are the tops those?
John

John, they are 6 inches wide. I've had those horses for about 25 years, and only replaced the tops a couple of times and the legs once....... :D

Mike

Hi Grafter:

How about this?

testle.jpg

I wouldn't say these are proper trestles, but they will hold a 5 foot by 3 foot top in place, if you fit battens underside of the top and trap the battens between the 'top rails' of each trestle.

Made in pairs of course and, as they fold away they, are easy to store.
One mod I would make is a rigid stay instead of the chain. A hinged stay would be better. Probably you can buy a long one from Screwfix, or make a wooden one from scrap. I find these 'trestles' ideal for assembling and gluing up with sash cramps. I made a pair in three hours, give or take.

Made from 100mm x 18mm timber 24" wide 30" high. Maybe not so high if you want to use them just for sawing.

A proper sawhorse for me has to have splayed legs in both directions, and a sawing 'V' in one end. A slot milled right through the top, almost all the way along is also a good mod.

HTH :D

Buy a set of metal fold up ones they are much better, you can screw a sacrificial timber on top of them for cutting sheet goods up.

Took a photo of mine today, i`ve been using them with some planks to plaster a ceiling. They are equally good for cutting sheet material on.
CIMG4024.jpg

The great thing about them is they dismantle so easily, the top section can be as long as i like & they take up very little storage room.
CIMG4026.jpg

Doug.

Here are mine, hand made by me :) would not be without them. Bad picture, sorry. I had to stumble through the new extension I am building in the dark to take the picture.

82644995.jpg

Thanks all for your replies - was expecting them all to be rather different! - agreed it is rather an odd thread to post!
Thanks for the inspiration I loom forward to tackling the project!

Matt

Doug - where did you get your metal brackets from - I can only find plastic ones available (axminster)

Thanks

Matt

wizer":1w1a29wr said:
John that's given me a great idea, thanks!
My Pleasure Wizer..

I never bought another paperhanging table after I made my first pair of these trestles btw! :D

And Grafter,
I suppose you could always use metal roofing plates of one sort or another, iof you don't want to cut joints. :)

Latest posts

Back