Saw dust - should I be worried?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker

Established Member
Reaction score
As I don't have space for power tools, I do all my sawing by hand. Recently I have been resawing oak and sapele and noticed dust settling all over so I'm worried about breathing it in.

How worried do I need to be about saw dust from hand saw?

I see in the US they have box fans and you can make your own air purifier by sealing it with HEPA filters - any suggestions for similar compact options in the UK?

Unfortunately my closest Mens Shed is open while I'm at work, resawing is my least favourite activity and would otherwise use a bandsaw.

Last edited:
I guess it comes down to how much sawing you do , the size of your workshop and wether you use a dust mask and if you do what type, then there are 2 stage air filters that will help to filter out the very small particles that get airborne. My shop is small ( 3m x3m and I use both hand tools and power tools but use dust extraction as much as possible. I do however find that sanding is best done outside.

My space is shared with other items and I have just enough space for a workbench and collection of hand tools. I don't use any power tools for woodworking. There are doses of ripping and cross cutting but timewise, very small compared to resawing. Takes a while to get through the pieces and knocks out a huge amount of dust. I don't use a mask as resawing feels like a workout and makes me too hot and bothered with a mask on.

I think something like this would be good enough but these types of fans don't seem available in the UK:

Back