Dust Extraction - table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am 95% hand tools these days for woodworking, but I do have a table saw I use for rough cutting stock. Problem is, it’s fairly old (80 yrs maybe?) and does not have any kind of dust extraction facility.

In fact, I am not bothered about hoovering up sawdust, it is the fine particulate sawdust in the air that bothers me, as it finds its way into every nook and cranny of everything. Is there a solution to this? Are those workshop air filters any good? Or should I be trying to add dust extraction to the table saw?

IMG_4331.jpeg

I think it might be better to catch the dust before it gets into the air rather than try to remove it from the air.
With a bit of ingenuity you should be able to close off the bottom of the saw and then make a blade guard/ extractor. Then hook up a big kick ass vacuum top and bottom and Bob's your Fathers brother.

I think artie is correct in catching it at source but air filters for the fine stuff that gets airborne will also help , I know you say your saw is old but I don’t see a riving knife or a guard . Dust extraction above the blade will also help catch it at source and the air filter will hopefully get the fine particles. Good luck..

I think it might be better to catch the dust before it gets into the air rather than try to remove it from the air.
With a bit of ingenuity you should be able to close off the bottom of the saw and then make a blade guard/ extractor. Then hook up a big kick ass vacuum top and bottom and Bob's your Fathers brother.
It’s a tricky one, that table saw is not remotely airtight, it isnt only open at the bottom but in numerous places around the sides. Plus I use it for crosscutting and a blade cover with vacuum in it would need to be on and off all the time.

in principle I’m sure you are right though.

I think artie is correct in catching it at source but air filters for the fine stuff that gets airborne will also help , I know you say your saw is old but I don’t see a riving knife or a guard . Dust extraction above the blade will also help catch it at source and the air filter will hopefully get the fine particles. Good luck..
It has a riving knife and guard but they are off so I can use my crosscut device.

Better doing both. Try to get as much as you can at source, but truth be known the ultra fine is going airborne and no amount of table extraction is going to capture all of it. So yes try something on the table but also look to buy an air cleaner too.

I got an overhead crown guard for my old Startrite saw, I was amazed at how good it was at reducing the fine dust in the air.
Mine is attached to the wall on an arm and has 2 hoods a narrow one for straight cuts and a wide one for angles, they swop in seconds and both have extraction ports. It was one of those "why didn`t I get this years ago" moments as soon as I tried it.
Still get dust piling up under the saw, mine has the sloping inner case so it just rolls out the bottom, this doesn`t waft about everywhere so I just sweep it up at the end.

Those air filters do work as well, I have a couple, the best being a round Microclene one (they have another name now but are still around) the reason I prefer it aside from its good function is because you can just use spray booth filter matting (the fine one) in it and you don`t need expensive proprietary filters.

Ollie

Last edited:
I got an overhead crown guard for my old Startrite saw, I was amazed at how good it was at reducing the fine dust in the air.
Mine is attached to the wall on an arm and has 2 hoods a narrow one for straight cuts and a wide one for angles, they swop in seconds and both have extraction ports. It was one of those "why didn`t I get this years ago" moments as soon as I tried it.
Still get dust piling up under the saw, mine has the sloping inner case so it just rolls out the bottom, this doesn`t waft about everywhere so I just sweep it up at the end.

Those air filters do work as well, I have a couple, the best being a round Microclene one (they have another name now but are still around) the reason I prefer it aside from its good function is because you can just use spray booth filter matting (the fine one) in it and you don`t need expensive proprietary filters.

Ollie
It’s looks amazing but it’s £800!!! I’m on a serious budget at the moment, so that’s out I’m afraid.

However, the principle is pretty simple. Would be a fun project to try to make one.

It’s looks amazing but it’s £800!!! I’m on a serious budget at the moment, so that’s out I’m afraid.

However, the principle is pretty simple. Would be a fun project to try to make one.
Ebay is the way forward, it took me a few months looking till one came up for a good deal. I think it cost me less than £200 delivered. Mine is a Suva model that was originally sold with a Scheppach saw. I modified the frame and made a wall bracket for it.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back