Rutlands Router table.... Any Good

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroMike

Reaction score
Go gentle on me....I'm totally new to WW and my only experience to date is building a shed with a roll-off-roof... I have several routers left to me by my later father - A Elu 177, Erbauer 1/2" and I recently bought a Trend T4. I was looking for a first router table as the hand routers are challenging to cut consistent cuts (most likely the user....) The one pictured is currently on sale for around £170 ?? Just wondering if this was an OK router or what ???

1707397286495.png

Hi Mike

I can't advise on the router table but I'd hang on to the ELU 177 especially if it's the "E" variable speed model and in decent condition. They were generally better quality than more recent alternatives, still sought after and many spares available. I parted with mine many years ago and always regretted it though I still have it's little brother the 96e at least.

I am looking for router table purchase and can see Kreg, CRT/MK3, Rutlands among the few brands that I can see sell cheaper products. But, I am not sure which one is good. I was on the verge of buying the SKIL router table, it has a lot of reviews on Amazon. But, when I saw the youtube reviews from people that are into woodworking as profession, they pointed out that the fence is not reliable. Now I am not sure what to do.

You can always build your own table with a formica-style top, along with a good quality router plate dropped into it? A hell of a lot cheaper than what is basically 1" square metal framework. Alternatively look for a second hand table for sale on here or the likes of ebay/gumtree etc. Have a look around, there are other options to handing over £1,000+ for a table. Hope this is of help and not confused you even further!

I am looking for router table purchase and can see Kreg, CRT/MK3, Rutlands among the few brands that I can see sell cheaper products. But, I am not sure which one is good. I was on the verge of buying the SKIL router table, it has a lot of reviews on Amazon. But, when I saw the youtube reviews from people that are into woodworking as profession, they pointed out that the fence is not reliable. Now I am not sure what to do.
I have the Excel router table, which is a rebadged version of the one pictured in the original post. It suits me, and works well, and was all I could justify at the time. It’s not a professional tool and it needs a lot of care and patience to if you want precise, accurate cuts, although with such care it’s possible to get them. It’s major benefit is that it comes with the router built in, so it’s compact and cheap and gives you everything you need.

If you already have a router, and have the time to build your own, a router plate in a suitable flat piece of MDF or similar is probably a better long term solution

I have the Excel router table, which is a rebadged version of the one pictured in the original post. It suits me, and works well, and was all I could justify at the time. It’s not a professional tool and it needs a lot of care and patience to if you want precise, accurate cuts, although with such care it’s possible to get them. It’s major benefit is that it comes with the router built in, so it’s compact and cheap and gives you everything you need.

If you already have a router, and have the time to build your own, a router plate in a suitable flat piece of MDF or similar is probably a better long term solution
I have the Rutlands router table pictured in the first post. As mentioned above with a bit of fettling it is possible to get fairly accurate cuts. The main difficulty with mine is the table (pressed steel) is not flat -- 1 mm dip at the centre. To get an improved model would involve a large increase in cost so I think it is good value for money.

I too have the Excel table. Value for money it is excellent - it would not be the choice for a production or business environment where accuracy, rigidity etc is more critical, but as a hobby machine can make good sense. Decent results can be had with care.

A £200 machine which includes feather boards, fence, mitre gauge, built in lift etc is built down to a cost. It is never going to produce the quality and accuracy of a fully specified Kreg or similar set up costing 3 or 4 times the amount.

The main difficulty with mine is the table (pressed steel) is not flat -- 1 mm dip at the centre. To get an improved model would involve a large increase in cost so I think it is good value for money.
Mine's flat enough - I just have to make sure I don't breathe too hard when I'm using it 😱

I have the Rutlands router table pictured in the first post. As mentioned above with a bit of fettling it is possible to get fairly accurate cuts. The main difficulty with mine is the table (pressed steel) is not flat -- 1 mm dip at the centre. To get an improved model would involve a large increase in cost so I think it is good value for money.
I'm thinking of flattening mine with epoxy filler.
Brian

The biggest improvement I did to my version was throwing away the fence and fitting an Axminster compact router table fence, also with the Jessem stock guides any dip in the table becomes less of an issue, as others have said for the price it's really good value for money, and is a very good starting point to learn the skills of using a router table.

The biggest improvement I did to my version was throwing away the fence and fitting an Axminster compact router table fence, also with the Jessem stock guides any dip in the table becomes less of an issue, as others have said for the price it's really good value for money, and is a very good starting point to learn the skills of using a router table.
Yes the fence is a bit basic and I may replace it in the future but for the time being I have sanded the faces to get them flat and co-planar.
Brian

Hi guys sorry to jump in but I'm new to WW I have a small shop and budget. I have a parkside router and want to build my own table. I'm confused when it comes to router plate inserts and does anyone know what brand would be suitable for my router.

Hi guys sorry to jump in but I'm new to WW I have a small shop and budget. I have a parkside router and want to build my own table. I'm confused when it comes to router plate inserts and does anyone know what brand would be suitable for my router.
You drill holes in the plate aligned to the holes in the router base. After countersinking the holes the plate and the router base are attached using machine screws. The plates can be used with any router.

It isn’t essential to use a plate - the router can be attached using the same method directly to the router table top.

You drill holes in the plate aligned to the holes in the router base. After countersinking the holes the plate and the router base are attached using machine screws. The plates can be used with any router.

It isn’t essential to use a plate - the router can be attached using the same method directly to the router table top.
So I drill holes in the router plate that are aligned to holes in the router base ? Is that right ? sorry to sound thick 😅

Make sure the plate is thick enough so that it won't bend or deflect with the weight of a router in it. Some of those Chinese ones are 9mm thick but can be bent quite easily in the hands.

Back