Router bits for stile and rail advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullap

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
1st of all, I am not sure I am in the correct forum, I thought was a separate one for router questions, But I cannot find it now, Its probably an age thing, I want a router bit for doing bevelled stile and rails, Looking at a couple one at Axminister tools and also Rutland's , They both cut the groove 6.35mm, but what if you want to use 6mm mdf for the panel, it will be flopping about, any suggestions.

Paul

If you cant find a set that does 6mm grooves, use 8mm for the panel and cut a rebate on the inside of the panel so that it fits nicely in the
6.35mm groove.
Or glue a strip of veneer around the 6mm panel, so it doesn't flop about in the groove.

I don't think it will flop about that much 0.35mm is a good tolerance for timber try it and then make up your mind.

How tight do you realistically want the panel to be? I have a 6mm groove cutter which seems about right for 6mm ply panels (always undersized, more like 5.5mm on average!) But for 6mm MDF it was way too tight so I had to widen the grooves a touch.

Hi , I don't know to be honest, I just want to make sure I get the correct cutter before ordering, I am very good at buying the wrong thing to do a simple job,

Paul

If it's mdf paint it first, that should build the thickness up enough.

I suspect you'll be fine putting 6mm MDF panels in a 6.35mm groove, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's designed to make assembly easier.
Where you'll run into trouble is if you ever want to use a ply panel - as I said before plywood is almost always thinner than the stated dimension, though this could be overcome by using 9mm ply with a rebate cut into the back.

Another option is a thicker MDF panel with the edges done with a panel raising bit if you like that look, that way you can dial in the fit to exactly what you want.

I have Rutlands Tornado set which I used to make a sideboard & desk using 6mm oak faced mdf panels which fitted the 1/4" groove perfectly.

I have just ordered mine from Rutlands, Stile and rail set Bevelled. I Don't know what a Tordnado set is, I searched for it but nothing came up

1st of all, I am not sure I am in the correct forum, I thought was a separate one for router questions, But I cannot find it now, Its probably an age thing, I want a router bit for doing bevelled stile and rails, Looking at a couple one at Axminister tools and also Rutland's , They both cut the groove 6.35mm, but what if you want to use 6mm mdf for the panel, it will be flopping about, any suggestions.

Paul
If you’re using mdf you can use some pva around the rebate this also gives the door added strength and as it’s all mdf you won’t have problems with expansion etc

The cutters are deliberately machined to 6.3 mm to allow 6 mm panels to fit. Believe me you would struggle to insert a 6mm panel into a 6mm groove. :giggle:

Back