Rail/stile router bits + panel size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled the trigger on the Wealdon combi bit as will use my existing Freud straight cutter to take my 9mm panels down to 6mm to fit the groove in the rails and Stiles. No surprise but quality difference Vs Amazon/china set was instantly noticeable in the ease of cut and clean finish of the cut.

Got the straight cutter set up and ran it around the 9mm panel but noticed the depth was different on each side. The reason? silly person here forgot to lock the spindle height because it was getting late in the day and I was tired. Will get back to it tomorrow to have a first door made. Hinges arrived today too so will be able to get doors mounted

20230301_151538.jpg
20230301_152050.jpg
20230301_154415.jpg
20230301_154406.jpg

Well that's a tad annoying, excited this morning to mount the doors after the glue up yesterday and notice I've obviously clamped with far too much pressure on one of them as it's now warped a stile.

Given the glue has cured, is there anything I can do to salvage it start again?

Separately, just how much clamping pressure should be applied? Just enough to keep the pieces together or beyond?

20230303_091942.jpg

Given the glue has cured, is there anything I can do to salvage it start again?

Separately, just how much clamping pressure should be applied? Just enough to keep the pieces together or beyond?
Start again as you're unlikely to be able to rescue it, unless you can easily break the glue bond without causing splintering of the grain.

Assuming you used sash cramps I'd say it's most likely the bars of the clamps were set on what is now the concave side of the bend and overtightened. This has pulled the stiles' faces out of plane with the rails' faces towards the bar as the bar has bent as a result of excess pressure.

In your case the pressure required is only to pull together the shoulder lines between the stile and the rail, assuming the joint, prior to the application of adhesive, is at it should be, an easy snug push fit. The same sort of pressure advice applies to any joint, such as an M&T, just enough to pull the shoulder lines together.

The sort of pressure required to pull two or more basic plain butt panel edge joints, or similar edge joints with alignment aids such as biscuits, loose tongues, dominoes, etc together is different. In this scenario pressure generally needs to be very firmly applied to create an intimate bond between the mating faces with the cramps spaced approximately 150 - 200 mm apart and alternated between the opposing faces of the panel glue-up. Slainte.

Last edited:
Start again as you're unlikely to be able to rescue it, unless you can easily break the glue bond without causing splintering of the grain.

Assuming you used sash cramps I'd say it's most likely the bars of the clamps were set on concave side of the bend and overtightened. This has pulled the stiles' faces out of plane with the rails' faces towards the bar as the bar has bent as a result of excess pressure.

In your case the pressure required is only to pull together the shoulder lines between the stile and the rail, assuming the joint, prior to the application of adhesive, is at it should be, an easy snug push fit. The same sort of pressure advice applies to any joint, such as an M&T, just enough to pull the shoulder lines together.

The sort of pressure required to pull two or more basic plain butt panel edge joints, or similar edge joints with alignment aids such as biscuits, loose tongues, dominoes, etc together is different. In this scenario pressure generally needs to be very firmly applied to create an intimate bond between the mating faces with the cramps spaced approximately 150 - 200 mm apart and alternated between the opposing faces of the panel glue-up. Slainte.
Thank you... This was exactly what happened. First time using the sash clamps bought for this purpose. Sacked it off and made another one which is currently curing with clamps on the shoulders only, flat to the clamp bar and only under required pressure so fingers crossed thats one chalked up to a lesson learnt

Back