Rome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
Off on a road trip to Rome with the other half and two offspring (August 2013).

Anyone been there before and can recommend what to see and what not to see.

Long time away I know but time passes quickly.

Thanks in advance for any inspiration.

'Sue'

Quite an obvious suggestion, but get to St Peter's first thing in the morning and go on the tour of the dome. You get the best views of the interior as you go up, climb up in between the inside and outside layers, and get a brilliant view of the piazza. Very well worth doing.

We're off for the fourth time next year, though not a road trip which I'd love, although in Rome it'self I'd rather use the public transport which is very good and easy to use.
There's oodles to see round every corner, you can eat in a reasonable outdoor cafe opposite the Coliseum, wonder at the architecture of the Pantheon [look at the bookmatched marble walls and floor] and don't miss the Trevi fountain late at night. I'll post the name/location of a great restaurant we found last year when I find it.

We went earlier this year. Other than the metro which I thought was brillent I hated public transport. Anyhow I forget where we went but the catacombs out in the sticks are not really worth the day out, if you want to see one do one thats local so your not wasting the day. Travi fountain was fantastic but far to many people visiting. The Vatican is great but take a tour. As your coming out the metro some people may pester you about the tour, do it, don't walk by them. For a decent fee you do get your moneys worth and more, I had a dodgy ear piece so I didn't hear all the history but I was more interesting in my photography anyway but with the fee to the tour people you get entry into just about everywhere, you can ask question and once your in you can move from location to location without having to pay again once the tour people have finished and left you.

At night don't get conned by the people with roses. They rip you off something rotten and the roses are nearly dead.

Colosseum I wasn't bothered about going an a tour, I just wanted to run around, do some photography and act a fool between all the door ways but without doing the tour you may (well we would have) be waiting in a que for an hour. The history from the tour guides is interesting though, I never knew they changed the name to the Colosseum just for us.

Its a good holiday although the heat I don't like so that got to me and that just about the only reason I wouldn't go again but ill be going to other parts of Italy regardless of heat. But just once hehe.

The first time we went to Italy we stayed a few tens of kilometres south of Rome with a car. Took the train north to Rome, drove south to Pompeii etc. Fantastic roads and scenery, didn't have any bother with the drivers.
You need to see the Trevi at night for the best visit, less tourists [still plenty], nicely lit and quite romantic.

monkeybiter":1ho48z8u said:
The first time we went to Italy we stayed a few tens of kilometres south of Rome with a car. Took the train north to Rome, drove south to Pompeii etc. Fantastic roads and scenery, didn't have any bother with the drivers.
You need to see the Trevi at night for the best visit, less tourists [still plenty], nicely lit and quite romantic.

We went at night.

Fantastic city apart from the amount of graffity and be careful of pickpockets.
Something unexpected around every corner, there's just too much to see. We had 4 days and could have done with a couple of weeks at least.

We stayed close to the coliseum and walked everywhere including the Vatican, spanish steps and trevi fountains but it's a hell of a long way and knackering.
The atmosphere around the coliseum and the walk up the hill is amazing but the view when you reach the top and gaze over the old ruins brings a lump to your throat then when you walk through it you almost feel you have to speak in a whisper

I MUST GO BACK - SOON :)

Use transport for these but do some walking or you'll miss loads. Be careful of the Vatican btw. We went the day the Pope was doing his speech bit and it was chocabloc, with huge queues and all that goes with the crowds.
Best entertainment we had was watching the African street traders packing their cases and running street to street, chased by the cops. Like only fools and horses :lol:

We've only been once but it's one of the few cities we would happily repeat visit.

enjoy

Bob

I don't think I could stand the stress of driving in Italy what we call a major crash they call travelling by car. In Rome as you walk out on the ped crossing the cars keep passing around you and only stop when your directly in front of them. It can be a bit off putting at first! I've been a few times and there's loads to see depending what your after. But in St Peters there is a Pope who has not decomposed and it is supposedly a miracle which you can see for yourself. Don't know what that says about me that that is what I remember most about my trips.

I also had the beast steak I've ever had anywhere in the world in Italy so do branch out from Pizza.

This is going to sound lame, but:

Somewhere in Rome (or the Vatican?) there is a huge circular area, surrounded by half a dozen circles of Doric columns. In the middle of the circle there s a spot where you can stand, to view the inner circle of columns. When you are truly in the centre of the circle all the columns line up exactly, and you can see only the inner circle of columns. The slightest movement to one side or the other, shows the other columns hidden behind the inner circle.

I wish I could remember where it is, but I know it's in Rome/Vatican and you really should experience that.

I hope I explained it well enough, and I hope there's someone else who knows what I mean and where this is.

Have a good trip.

Benchwayze":1urxxtk8 said:
This is going to sound lame, but:

Somewhere in Rome (or the Vatican?) there is a huge circular area, surrounded by half a dozen circles of Doric columns. In the middle of the circle there s a spot where you can stand, to view the inner circle of columns. When you are truly in the centre of the circle all the columns line up exactly, and you can see only the inner circle of columns. The slightest movement to one side or the other, shows the other columns hidden behind the inner circle.

I wish I could remember where it is, but I know it's in Rome/Vatican and you really should experience that.

I hope I explained it well enough, and I hope there's someone else who knows what I mean and where this is.

Have a good trip.

I think it could be the piazza in front of St Peter's. This is my picture of it, taken from the foot of the dome:

IMG_0062.jpg

Even if that's not right, it gives me an excuse to show this image, of the winch arrangements used to erect the Egyptian obelisk in the middle (or maybe next to the middle).

354208_full_1024x872.jpg

I think you are correct Andy.

http://www.rome.info/squares/st-peters-square/

That link confirms it. The text just below the first picture describes what I recall seeing.

Incidentally, they say once you visit Rome you will always return at least once before you die.
In that case I am putting off my next visit until after I have my birthday card from Her Majesty! :D

Again though, you really do have to experience 'lining up the columns.' I did it in 1960, and it's in my memory for good; although to be honest, I can't recall if the obelisk got in the way! :)

The Wikipedia entry confirms it:

The actual foci are marked in the paving by roundels of stone six or seven meters beyond the outer ring of the compass rose centered on the obelisk, on either side. When the visitor stands on one, the ranks of columns line up perfectly behind one another.

and also has a much higher resolution photo than mine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Peter's_Square

One thing we did was to go on a guided tour which covered the main sites, then did our own thing and revisited some sites in more detail.
I suppose the Sistine Chapel is must, but by the time you've passed through the miles of corridors in the Vatican Museum getting there, your pretty well bog-eyed looking at wall paintings?

Rod

:) You just can't go wrong anywhere in Rome. If you get lost stop and have something to eat. :D Watch Roman holiday before you go and you'll not need a guide book. It is an open air museum with the best refreshments on the planet.

Have a wander through "The Forum". It was the centre of the known world for centuries. If you want a quiter day go out to Ostea - the old Roman Port at the entrance to the Tiber. If you've ever been to Pompeii it's a bit like that but without the crowds. It's a cheap train ride from central Rome. Well worth it imho.

Back