road cycling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":pn4wpg7y said:
Lons":pn4wpg7y said:
And in reply to that last crass and insulting sentence, I'm an advanced driver .....
Really? Doesn't sound like it :lol:
Derbyshire is very popular with cyclists being in easy reach of Manchester, Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham etc and has major attractions like the High peak and Monsal trails. Probably the most cycled part of Britain. So perhaps best avoided.
The M1 not far away you could just drive up and down there instead? No cyclist at all!

To start with are you calling me a liar, if so you're the ars*hole I suspect you are! Easy to type but you wouldn't be saying it to my face - I guarantee it! Next time you visit Berwick, give me a call and we can have a nice cosy chat.

The Peak district is a lovely place, shame it's spoiled by idiots like you.

Lons":3japuyvr said:
........To start with are you calling me a liar, if so you're the ars*hole I suspect you are! Easy to type but you wouldn't be saying it to my face - I guarantee it! Next time you visit Berwick, give me a call and we can have a nice cosy chat.

The Peak district is a lovely place, shame it's spoiled by idiots like you.

Lons, you can do better than this. The "Ignore" button is there for a reason.

MikeG.":2l7a0sn5 said:
Lons, you can do better than this. The "Ignore" button is there for a reason.

Yeah your right Mike, I allowed myself to be sucked in last night and regret it this morning though I won't retract what I said about him.

My only excuse is that I'd been drowning my sorrows a bit watching my footie team get thrashed by Leicester, pleased I didn't make the trip south. :oops: Back to normal today except for a headache. :lol:

Jacob":3qgdbb58 said:
PS cyclists are usually safer riding in groups as this makes them easier to overtake in one pass, even if you have to wait for the right moment, rather than overtaking each one strung out in a long line. Some less advanced motorists don't know this. 3 abreast isn't good though.

At least you read it again and added the above ps this morning. Well done! =D>

What I said was 3 and 4 abreast and they weren't just riding like that which is bad anyway, they were actively racing and passing each other in that manner. I have no issue wit 2 abreast riding in a predictable and controlled manner.

All road users should be respectful and aware of other users and in those examples the cyclists were not. What I didn't say was one of the near misses I observed was 2 cyclists racing each other around a blind corner where there was a line of walkers on the side of the road walking towards them, no footpath and high narrow verge. They had as much right to be there as the cyclists and drivers like me and there could have been a nasty accident had any traffic been coming the other way.

I said SOME were irresponsible and no one can deny that.

Lons":bgix7vkc said:
I said SOME were irresponsible and no one can deny that.
And a lot of drivers are too, and also lethal, which cyclists are not (excepting a few very rare incidents).
Derbyshire gets jammed with traffic and there has been talk of controlling/banning it at peak holiday times and weekends. Don't know if that will come to anything though a lot of green tracks/trails are now protected as there was a spate of convoys of tw@ts in 4 wheel drives, wrecking them.
There has also been a big Derbyshire effort to promote and encourage cycling, which is a good thing all round. Reclaim the roads!
Cycling really starts to make sense when you find yourself cycling on a sunny day, free as a bird, past long bank-holiday or weekend traffic jams. :lol:
Maybe you should try it Lons - good for the blood pressure too.
https://www.friendsofthepeak.org.uk/wha ... s/traffic/

Just to avoid any confusion.... i lurrrvv cycling, more so track cycling, but any cycling is good in my book =D> =D> (i used to work with the bronze medalist from the 2014 Indian Commonwealth Games, and was able to drool over her carbon fiber bike with an oval crank =P~ i say 'work with' in the loosest sense... we were employed by the same company :mrgreen: )

However.... going slightly off-track for a moment (see what i did there :wink: )
is there anything that Claire Balding doesn't get involved with or is an 'expert' on.?
tennis
dogs
flowers
religion
Award ceremonies
cooking

ok i made the cooking up, and i'm sure it wont be long before she's presenting Homes Under The Hammer. She just strikes me as a female Alan Titchmarsh... ex gardener cum antiques expert cum interviewer etc.... just does my turnip in :roll:

Thats it.... rant(?) over, i'm off to kick the dog as its just wee'd on the flowers while i was trying to pray while baking some scones..... (hammer) (hammer)

Many times I've said that there are a lot of irresponsible drivers of car, van and HGV vehicles. so not quite sure what you're arguing about, apart from you saying recently that arguing is one of your hobbies - well blow me down, who would ever have guessed that. :lol:
Doesn't change what I said about SOME cyclists acting in that manner!

Derbyshire isn't any different to many of the other tourist destinations like The West Country and The Lake District who are victims of their own long term advertising for tourism revenue. Take the tourists away, which will never happen btw and a sudden huge lose of renenue results which would be detrimental to local business, jobs and the economy.

As an aside, we of course paid a visit to Chatsworth and they have the best farm shop we've ever been in with the exception of one near Sydney.

And thanks for your concern about my health which I can confirm is excellent including my BP. I have tried cycling btw and you can keep it, I have better things to do with my time to keep me fit and active.
Perhaps you need to look at your own situation as a person of your advanced years need to take extra care. Wouldn't want a doddery old bearded git to be knocked off his bike 'cos he can't wind in or turn his neck far enough to see what's behind him.

With that in mind here are a couple of bedtime reading suggestions, hope they help. :wink:
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... ng-better/
https://www.everydayhealth.com/senior-h ... index.aspx

Somebody mention banning cycling?
Point of trivia info:
Cycling supports 70k or so jobs in the UK and is worth £6bn to the economy (as far as I recall reading not so long ago.

These figures could well be doubled if there was a proper Dutch-like approach to cycling from the last dozen governments. Added bonus of health and well being along with better air quality etc.

Noel":3hc2fmh5 said:
Somebody mention banning cycling?
Point of trivia info:
Cycling supports 70k or so jobs in the UK and is worth £6bn to the economy (as far as I recall reading not so long ago.

These figures could well be doubled if there was a proper Dutch-like approach to cycling from the last dozen governments. Added bonus of health and well being along with better air quality etc.
Read the post please Noel. There was a very distinct :wink: at the end of that sentence, something Mr angry wannabe MP failed to notice but I'm surprised you missed it, especially when I highlighted it again in a reponse to his rantings.

Was tongue in cheek marra, I wouldn't ban cylists even were it possible, my son is an enthusiast.

What I would do is enforce compulsory insurance on them if using public roads. ( Note no :wink: after that one! :) )

Lons":17lcm5og said:
What I would do is enforce compulsory insurance on them if using public roads.....
What for? Accidents and damages caused by cyclists (except to themselves) are so insignificant it'd be hardly worth collecting the premiums. Would you enforce insurance on pedestrians too?

Lons":2pxk1w11 said:
.....Wouldn't want a doddery old bearded git to be knocked off his bike 'cos he can't wind in or turn his neck far enough to see what's behind him.....
Exactly.
Even more necessary that doddery old gits behind the driving wheel of lethal weapons should be capable of driving safely, know what they are doing and not lose their no claims bonus in a fit of pique.
PS Lons I don't read any of your subtle messages in emoticons, I tend not to notice them at all. 8-[

MikeG.":2d7biqid said:
flying haggis":2d7biqid said:
....... a sporting event that is spread along thousands of kms of road.........

Ah, I see now. You don't know what you're talking about, so this is a straight forward argument from ignorance, a classic fallacy. Everything you say on the matter can be disregarded. I assume a cyclist kicked your puppy sometime.

no a cyclist didnt kick my puppy, but rest assured if they did they wouldnt be cycling now. of course this "race" and the others like it are spread along thousands of kilometres of road. just because you may not think it is disruptive, others do. as geoff said when the prudential event was staged in surrey in 2013 the effect on the locals was huge, I was in the area soon after the event and the locals were livid about the event, some couldnt even get out of thier own driveways for virtually all the day of the event. so as i am ignorant (your words not mine) why should everything i say be disregarded. i dont see why thousands of peoples live should be disrupted just for a cycle race that many couldnt care about. despite you seeming to defend the race and its organisers i have seen at first hand the chaos it causes. the support vehicles in particular seem to think that as they are "important" the normal road rules dont apply. driving the wrong way round roundabouts and on the wrong side of dual carriageways for instance. so if that sort of behaviour is not disruptive what would you say was?

Lons":3u87psjd said:
Wouldn't want a doddery old bearded git to be knocked off his bike 'cos he can't wind in or turn his neck far enough to see what's behind him.

We can live in hope :D :D :D

flying haggis":371w7rdy said:
........ of course this "race" and the others like it are spread along thousands of kilometres of road.........

No, it isn't. You seem to be wearing your ignorance with pride.

I have no opinion on road racing but I have to say that about a week and a half ago we were on a trip to Derbyshire in our classic VW camper van and for one day we hired 2 e bikes and cycled the full length of the Monsal trail and back a total of about 19 miles and it was an amazing day and I would recommend it to anybody.

powertools":6k3ybhba said:
I have no opinion on road racing but I have to say that about a week and a half ago we were on a trip to Derbyshire in our classic VW camper van and for one day we hired 2 e bikes and cycled the full length of the Monsal trail and back a total of about 19 miles and it was an amazing day and I would recommend it to anybody.
It is surprising isn't it?
We went along it the day it opened and were amazed. We know the landscape round and about but from the trail it's magic. It's become a national tourist attraction - foreign tourists etc.
Been up and down dozens of times since, usually as circuit from home, taking in Chelmorton and going home on the High Peak trail.

I think we were lucky in that the weather for the time of year was really nice but the trail was not very busy and that made the day really enjoyable.

I almost wish you had not mentioned the high peak trail having looked it up that now seems the next thing for us to do in Derbyshire.

MikeG.":304qtbom said:
flying haggis":304qtbom said:
........ of course this "race" and the others like it are spread along thousands of kilometres of road.........

just like you then.

the race we have just seen was nearly one thousand kms in total and races like the tour of yorkshire are of similiar length so together they are thousands. the disruption is not just to the main route but every side road to the main route will also be affected as they will be closed for periods of time therefore causing more disruption. what if you or i needed to cross the main route during the closure.

flying haggis":3u6zwzcs said:
MikeG.":3u6zwzcs said:
flying haggis":3u6zwzcs said:

just like you then.

the race we have just seen was nearly one thousand kms in total and races like the tour of yorkshire are of similiar length so together they are thousands. the disruption is not just to the main route but every side road to the main route will also be affected as they will be closed for periods of time therefore causing more disruption. what if you or i needed to cross the main route during the closure.
Moan moan!!
It's a moving circus. Each day it moves on and the previous days disruptions are tidied away, with nothing shut for very long at all, even on the day it passes close.

Latest posts

Back